Quantcast

Yosemite

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Buffalo and I are headed down to Yosemite for a wedding, and staying at the Wawona. We have a few stretches of time apart from the wedding group for some fun activities in with just the two of us, and would appreciate any suggestions. I hear renting bikes means riding on crowded paved trails, so I don't really know if that would be worth it... do you?

It should also be noted that it is Buffalo's birthday one day that we have a good chunk of the morning to ourselves for, so something special... other than reputation. That's already just a part of the package! :brows:

All thoughts are appreciated!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Vernal falls trail to the mist trail and up to Nevada falls and half dome with 10,000 others unless you start at first light. Go to Toulmne Meadows, Hike to the base of Cathedral Peak, Take a swim in Lake Tenaya. Start at the crack of dawn and hike to the top of Yosemite Falls trail and maybe up to Yosemite point (take a water filter to refil bottles or a camelback). scramble up the 4th class back side of Fairview dome in Toulmne and stare down its 2000 foot face and then do a 360 looking at all the Sierra high peaks within 100 miles

Last edited:

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Vernal falls trail to the mist trail and up to Nevada falls and half dome with 10,000 others unless you start at first light. Go to Toulmne Meadows, Hike to the base of Cathedral Peak, Take a swim in Lake Tenaya. Start at the crack of dawn and hike to the top of Yosemite Falls trail and maybe up to Yosemite point (take a water filter to refil bottles or a camelback). scramble up the 4th class back side of Fairview dome in Toulmne and stare down its 2000 foot face and then do a 360 looking at all the Sierra high peaks within 100 miles
Very useful! Thank you! 360 degree views of the Sierras is just what I'm looking for! I'm looking at the details now. If we do it, I'll be sure to take a picture for you!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
this is the view from the top of Catherdral peak in the same area as Fairview dome

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I looked it up and it looks amazing! That's in the lead now for hikes, so I'll be sure to get some updated pics ;)

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
If you're a climber Five and Dime has a really nice 5.8 (5.9 outside the valley) sport climb that is well protected for Yosemite and usually less crowded.

The popular spots in Yosemite kinda suck during the summer

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
If you're a climber Five and Dime has a really nice 5.8 (5.9 outside the valley) sport climb that is well protected for Yosemite and usually less crowded.

The popular spots in Yosemite kinda suck during the summer
We're going to bring the shoes and probably boulder around for a bit one day, I don't know how crowded the areas with V0-V3 are... but I'm sure they are. That sounds like a nice spot, but we're not sure we want to bring all the ropes and gear. I will look it up though! Thank you!

Check out the Mariposa Grove if it's not closed.

Yes! This is one of the bride's favorite spots, so we get to go hang out with her there Friday! I'm really looking forward to it!

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Yeah the chain of people up the side didn't look appealing, but that might be an awesome birthday hike.... start the year off right! And yes to the meadow, I think that one is a definite!

How about longboards? I know there are way too many paved trails... are they just packed with people? WOuld it be worth brining them at all?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Leave the skate-boards at home, the paved trails aren't really smooth enough. If you have a crappy bike you don't mind leaving locked up, I would bring it for any trips down to the town, that way you can park further away and try to beat traffic on the way back up and out to the Wawona.

The Wawona is awesome, super funky, and the shared bathroom thing deters some people, but it's a really cool place, especially in te summer when you can hang out and enjoy cocktails outside.

Mariposa grove should be open, but get there early, the parking lot fills up. The crowds stay down near the lot, so if you aren't afraid of a 5-6 miles loop, you can quickly get up and away from the crowds of Japanese tourists. It is however way better in the winter because it gets icy and it's pure entertainment watchingpeople with improper footwear eat crap.

Other than that, hikes are hikes in Yosemite, unless you're going to actually climb, anything that takes you upwards will give you an insane view.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
fuck that. i hate most other people. when i go into the woods i want to see as few of you assholes as possible.
yup

during the high season I avoid the valley except for an occasional climbing trip. Early spring and fall are the time to go.

We're going to bring the shoes and probably boulder around for a bit one day, I don't know how crowded the areas with V0-V3 are... but I'm sure they are. That sounds like a nice spot, but we're not sure we want to bring all the ropes and gear. I will look it up though! Thank you!
They can be crowded depending on how far they are from the road but there are so many boulders that nothing ever gets really crowded. There are a few good guide books for boulders in the valley.

If you're into meeting other climbers head by camp 4 and check out the evening sessions on Midnight Lightning. There are climbers from all over the world chilling and it's a very cool atmosphere in the evenings. Last time I was there we camped in a site with a Spanish climber and an Austrian climber.

Last edited:

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Last time I was in Yosemite I spent most of my time in Camp 4 working Midnight Lightning, and we had a blast!

I was looking at the time to get to/from Wawona to Toulome, and it is over 2 hours... Not sure if that will still work with our 6 ish hour free time time frames. Thinking about maybe Chilnualna Falls due to proximity... but now looking closer to our area for the views.

In any event, I appreciate all the tips, and will do my best to fit any and all around the wedding schedule that I can. This whole two day work week things is both awesome and torturous :) Just 48 more hours until we are at the airport... :-D

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
The valley is amazing, but the huge crowds and traffic is a drag. It's just as beautiful from the top looking down. Drive out to Glacier Point and enjoy the views. Drive back and take one of the many hikes to the north of the road - Taft Point, the Fissures, many others. Drive to the south entrance and check out the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias. These trees are so massive, the first branch is often 10 feet in diameter

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Crowds were light for us...we got lucky.

Waterfalls are still active...but the Merced is dropping 4 ft per week, so they will be dry soon :( .

Fire season hasn't touched the valley yet...but we saw 2 on the way home.

Prices are insane (And you are staying at the Wawona?? Big $$ hustlas!) I think they have strayed from the original desire to make wilderness and wild lands accessible for all. If one is able to separate from the crowds and the over priced everything you can do well there.

Didn't see any bears, gromms were disappointed, Frau was not...but plenty of ground squirrels and deer. Kids also loved bouldering everything they could.

June night sky was amazing! Next go want to do the El Cap meadow night time hang out drink wine and watch climbers lights thing...

Prices aside, it is still refreshingly under commercialized...already planning next trip for the fall.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I am trying to figure out how to get into the Ranger Club for a look around. Is it open to the public? I cant imagine it is...it would quickly be stripped clean by the touristos if so.

Japanese tourists smoke too much (And conveniently ignore many signs). I thought European tourists smoked alot.

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Yes, the Wawona was stupid expensive. I pay half that to go to Whistler (T minus 17 days there!), but alas, that was where the bride and reception were.

BUT WE HAD A BLAST! We saw: Mariposa Grove, up the Mist trail to Vernal and Nevada Falls hike, down through the John Muir Trail, a lot of dips in the river, Glacier Point, the Tunnel View, Cathedral Beach, Chilualana Falls, and more. Holy shit guys.

Vernal Falls

Teh Buffalo and Skibunny

Glacier Point Sunset

Mist Trail