Quantcast

york beach vacation photos

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ok stanley, here's the thread.

most of these shots are from the beach, as that's where i brought the camera and spent most of the time. i did bring a point and shoot for the 42 mile road ride i did, but haven't downloaded those photos yet. some day.

the board that boogies

short sands

reggie hammond's other car

otis looking like pete townshend

no place like the beach

over-exposed on purpose

family time

swallowed

foggy beach

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
My buddy pointed out this weekend that the only time he feels childhood bliss is at 93 MPH at Cedar Point and, almost, during a sweet singletrack descent. Bliss is apparent in that first shot - cool stuff.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
:)

How was the water temp, where did you stay?

Thanks!

Saturday we're catching Ray Lamontagne and Rustic Overtones at the Maine State Pier, then Sunday on the island is Reggae Sunday's from 11-6pm.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
My buddy pointed out this weekend that the only time he feels childhood bliss is at 93 MPH at Cedar Point and, almost, during a sweet singletrack descent. Bliss is apparent in that first shot - cool stuff.
thanks! yeah, the kids were having a blast.

stosh, we (4 neighborhood familes) rented a large house that was about a 5 min walk from short sands, and about 12 min to long sands. perfect location.

the water was pretty cold, but got warmer...i swear that the 1st day we got to long sands my ankles stung when i got in the water...lifeguard said it was 61F. the next day it seemed a lot warmer (but was still chilly).

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
thanks! yeah, the kids were having a blast.

stosh, we (4 neighborhood familes) rented a large house that was about a 5 min walk from short sands, and about 12 min to long sands. perfect location.

the water was pretty cold, but got warmer...i swear that the 1st day we got to long sands my ankles stung when i got in the water...lifeguard said it was 61F. the next day it seemed a lot warmer (but was still chilly).
Wonder if hurricane Bill pushed up some warmer water.

I figured it would be cold just wondering how it is this late in the summer. Never been up there this late.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well the summer was pretty cool and cloudy for all of June and the early part of July, so the water likely didn't get much warming as it typically might. since the heat capacity of water is much greater than air, i would think that late august is about the highest temp the water will get.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I can see the house I grew up in the third picture. Going home to York is always a weird feeling. Plenty of things there haven't changed since I was 5.
Permanence isn't something I'm used to.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I can see the house I grew up in the third picture. Going home to York is always a weird feeling. Plenty of things there haven't changed since I was 5.
Permanence isn't something I'm used to.
i rode yr old roadie frame around york/eliot/ogunquit. good times. love that bike, thanks!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Things are good. Been riding like a nut.

This is the "beach" down the road from me. Not so much sand..
They're my favorite kind of beach! I'm not such a big fan of sand.

I'm hoping that when I return from vacation I'll be able to get on my bike again. Finally I have my rack set up and my gear cleaned to get a ride in. Having kids throws a wrench in any extracurricular activities.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
well get used to it. kids don't like to play on rocks, they like sand.
As a kid I grew up on the Jersey Shore in the summer. My first trip blew my mind at how cool the "beaches" were there. The blandness of long stretches of white sand bores me. There is a certain intrigue to rock beaches, You never really know what around the next curve or under the next rock. Endless climbing possibilities and heights to throw rocks from.

My grandma lives down by Long Beach Island NJ so our kids have their fill of both types.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Like the grilled corn... you're doing it wrong. :D

i should restate -

kids like playing on rocks, but like playing in the sand more.

plus, i still have a small infection on my left arch of my foot from a cut i got via a barnacle or snail or some sort, when we were searching for life in the tide pools.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
i should restate -

kids like playing on rocks, but like playing in the sand more.

plus, i still have a small infection on my left arch of my foot from a cut i got via a barnacle or snail or some sort, when we were searching for life in the tide pools.
My cousin and I were playing on a floating dock on the island at low tide, at some point I attempted to push him in the water. His first reaction was to grab for the wood piling which he did and was able to hold with his body as he swung around it. Thing is it was load tide and we had been swimming with no shirts on. He climbed back onto the dock at which point we noticed all the blood. Blood was gushing out of his chest from the barnacle that were on the piling. We run up to the house and my grandfather covered his entire chest with hydrogen peroxide. I think that hurt him the worst but seemed to fix it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Looks like we'll be on Peaks Island when hurricane Danny passes by. Should make life interesting for a day or 2.