Quantcast

Yet another stupid lawsuit.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) - The parents of a mountain biker killed by a mountain lion last year in Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Orange County, contending the county should have known the park was dangerous.

Mark Reynolds, 34, was mountain biking on Jan. 8, 2004, when he was attacked by the cougar at Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park. The mountain lion also attacked another biker, who survived, and the cougar was killed.

Parents Donna and Gary Reynolds of St. Joseph, Mo., said in the suit made public this week that the county should have known that the park was in "dangerous condition" because cougars prowled it.

Orange County officials refused to comment on pending litigation.

Taken from: http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/11211688.htm

Damnit another lawsuit to protect people from theirselves.

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
WTF? Some people think they live at Disneyland and nothing can hurt them, of course the wilderness is dangerous. :mad:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
:mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

I hate people. Yet another moron who must blame everyone else.

Maybe they should sue the pope as Gods representative and proxy. After all, God created the mountain lion.

Maybe we should all send them e-mails explaining the concept of personal responsibility. reynolds@markreynoldsfund.com
Though the website appears to be down right now.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I fell off my bike teh other day.
I'm going to sue the Govt for not warning me about Gravity!!

Oh, and I'm going to sue Budweiser for this spare tire I seem to be getting.
How was I supposed to know that Beer gave you a belly?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
fuggin rediculous. Too bad the mountain lion didn't eat the parents instead and did evolution a favor.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Zark said:
fuggin rediculous. Too bad the mountain lion didn't eat the parents instead and did evolution a favor.
if you belive that stupidity is passed in the genes. I don't think the parents are going to be doing any more breeding anytime soon. they must be old by now....

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
WTF is up with the US and sueing every damn person. Why is it ingrained in American culture to sue everyone. This is by far the stupidiest thing, if anythign it's a wonderfull thing that people can still go to a park in California and be worried about cougars. It won;t be like that much longer with ppl like this.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
I believe someone posted about Mark Reynolds being killed by a Mt. Lion last year. If memory serves correct, I believe Mark was heavily involved in the Mt. biking community is SoCal. If this is correct then his parents are doing an injustice to their sons memory. He probably worked hard to maintain the trails open to Mt bikers which his parents will now jeapordize with this law suit. I know they are grieving about the loss of their son but they should remember that their son knew the risks when he went out for a ride.

Too bad...Why do I have a feeling that it was some fast talking lawyer that took advantage of two broken hearted parents and talked them into filing this lawsuit.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
JMAC said:
WTF is up with the US and sueing every damn person. Why is it ingrained in American culture to sue everyone. This is by far the stupidiest thing, if anythign it's a wonderfull thing that people can still go to a park in California and be worried about cougars. It won;t be like that much longer with ppl like this.
Yup... Soon there will be no dirt or trees or animals in So Cal. It'll just be flattened and paved over. Your right, it is a wonderful thing that there still are cougars and other wildlife in so cal. Some people just don't understand it. I wonder how many people get bitten by rattlesnakes each year in So cal. Of that number I wonder how many die. It seems that rattlesnakes are the bigger danger out in the wilderness.

I can understand suing someone when they deserve it, but lawsuits like this are just vulgar and obscene.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Ciaran said:
Yup... Soon there will be no dirt or trees or animals in So Cal. It'll just be flattened and paved over.
exactly. tell me why we shouldn't skid on trails again? or cut down trees to make way for new trails? :sneaky:

I can't wait until we get the world covered in cement. just think of the street riding possiblitys. :evil:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ciaran said:
Yup... Soon there will be no dirt or trees or animals in So Cal. It'll just be flattened and paved over. Your right, it is a wonderful thing that there still are cougars and other wildlife in so cal. Some people just don't understand it. I wonder how many people get bitten by rattlesnakes each year in So cal. Of that number I wonder how many die. It seems that rattlesnakes are the bigger danger out in the wilderness.

I can understand suing someone when they deserve it, but lawsuits like this are just vulgar and obscene.
It's a wonderfull thing that there still are cougars in So.Cal, but a VERY sad thing that they have to resort to humans after being confined and starved in such a small area...

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
JMAC said:
It's a wonderfull thing that there still are cougars in So.Cal, but a VERY sad thing that they have to resort to humans after being confined and starved in such a small area...
This is not true...
These lions moved into this area, and there are plenty of house cats for them to eat. ;)

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Silver said:
That's easy to say when you don't have to worry about overgrown trials and cougar sighting signs...

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1496299#post1496299
No, but I have riding on trails were cougars go. I've encounter a number of bears on trails here. I've run up grouse mountain while it was getting dark and there was bear warnings, a mother and cub had been spotting just before I was running. I think the thought that I was riding on a trail that still was in the wild would far outway any fears or facts that I may get attacked. I'm just weird in that way though. Now on the other hand, sharks, they just terrify me. :rolleyes: :think:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
stoney98 said:
There actually are warnings at the entry to all the OC wilderness parks warning about big cats and rattle snakes. I don't see this going anywhere other then getting the trails closed, but at least teh tax dollars will be spent fighting the suit instead of paying for schools.

:rolleyes:
And ticks. Don't forget the ticks.

I wouldn't worry about school funding, either. If the parents win a huge lawsuit, at least the money won't be going to kids of illegal immigrants, and will be going to genuine home grown Americans...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Slugman said:
If anyone knows this guys folks - please contact them and tell them to stop this NOW!!!
I posted their e-mail address. (Well, it's the e-mail address to the parents mailbox at the foundation they started. But it will get you in contact with them)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
pnj said:
exactly. tell me why we shouldn't skid on trails again? or cut down trees to make way for new trails? :sneaky:

I can't wait until we get the world covered in cement. just think of the street riding possiblitys. :evil:
what was the city-planet in asimov's writing? trantor? i hope that's not an eventuality, but we'll see...

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
One would think that the word "wilderness" would be enough warning. If all the kitties in the wilderness were tame they'd call it the "domesticatedness."

It's sad that someone's grief pushes them to do irrational things. I hope they can find a more productive way to cope with their loss.

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
DH Diva said:
One would think that the word "wilderness" would be enough warning. If all the kitties in the wilderness were tame they'd call it the "domesticatedness."

It's sad that someone's grief pushes them to do irrational things. I hope they can find a more productive way to cope with their loss.

I don't think it can be said any better than that.