Quantcast

XT disc brake question

jaekormtb

Chimp
Jan 29, 2002
South Korea & Virginia
I've got a set of XT disc brakes that are about 3-4 years old and the levers have about had it, so I ordered a set of new levers from Jenson. Got em and discovered that the bolts that go through the banjo fittings on my old hoses are too small for the new levers. WTF??? Is Shimano screwing us again by switching up sizes?? Can I get a different bolt and use my old hoses? If I order new hoses to fit the levers will I have the same problem at the matching a new hose to my old calipers? What's the word?

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Dunno about bolt size but if I still had my XT's i'd switch up to the Goodridge lines anyways. Maybe this ill fitting bolt is a sign from the bike gods ;)

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
What RITFreerider said. They're the black plastic/kevlar lines.

The good news is, the brakes will feel MUCH better with the new hoses, they swell much less under compression; it doesn't feel like you have a bad bleed all the time....

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
You cna also get new fitting kits from Jagwire that allow you to use any lines you want. A bit pricey if I remember though. Like a retail of ~$26 per pair of fittings (one for lever, one for caliper, both are the same size).

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Shimano did change the threads on the hose connection
old lever M755: 90 degree banjo type, M6x1 thd
new lever M756: in-line type, M8x.75 thd

hope this helps

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the problem here is that Gremica use to make that shimano xt brake but shimano has since started to make them in house and in the prosses they probibly retooled the levers. but the bango bolt off of a grimeca system 8 lever should work