Quantcast

XT brake help

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
I recently bought some used Shimano XT (756) 8" brakes from a friend. They worked very well up until very recently (ridden for 3 weeks?) The front lever has started to feel mushy and has very little feel or power. They feel good again if you pump them up for quite a bit. So it sounds as if I need to get it bled.. right?

The part that I'm confused about is this change happened almost over night. No gradual loss of feel or power, now the lever has started pulling almost to the bar. There are no obvious leaks or loss of fluid. However, the weather has gotten bitterly cold here (for reference: bitterly cold in SC=in the 20's). Is mineral oil affected by cold weather? I'm hoping that's all, but the rear brake still feels perfectly fine. The brakes were shipped to me in a little e13 box, and the front line looks like it got crimped from being in the small box. For a day or two after I set them up, it wept a small amount of fluid where the lever meets the line (right where it was crimped). After a day or two of riding, the weeping of fluid stopped and the brakes felt great.Could the cold weather amplify the effects of the small loss of fluid?

Please help, I'm not quite sure of what to do...
Thanks

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
Weather shoulden't be the problem. I believe I rode my XT's last year in the same temp or lower, and mine never died. How bad is the crimp? If its right at the lever, it could be that when the lever is pulled, it pushed fluid past the crimp and not allowing it to come back. Pumping would suck it back....I am not sure. What I would do is get a new compression nut for a few bucks, cut the hose, slice the hose off around the banjo and then just re install the banjo, hook er up and give it a nice bleed. Did you get the 756's or 755's? If you have the 755's you might need something different but I know you will only need a compression nut for the 756's.