Quantcast

WTH hell have I gotten myself into...

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Well, some of you know the troubles that have been going on at work... with the boss losing the lease and all...

Well, I did it, I took the next step.

I'M AN ENTREPRENEUR!!! :monkeydance:

I signed the lease to a place not too far from where I currently work. I move in October 1. I'm not sure what to call my new shop yet, but at least I know I already have customers that will follow me to my new place. My current work crew has already pledged to work for me. Heck even my current boss may end up on my payroll. I know as soon as this buzz wears off, I'm going to be freaked the heck out, but at least I know where my future is.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Congrats! It's hard as shizz to get your business up and going, it's great that you have loyal customers! I started my business a few years ago, times have been rough, but I don't have a store front.

Nothing but the best to you! I am a strong supporter of entrepreneurs!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Congrats! Owning a biz can be a bitch but I'll whore out my friends daughters before I let some random tool run my life again.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Congratulations!

Please, by all means, get yourself a good accountant and learn how to use QuickBooks yourself. I recently spent a ton of hours on a client fixing their records. It resulted in a huge bill and could've been prevented by having a QB savvy person in place to begin with.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Congratulations!

Please, by all means, get yourself a good accountant and learn how to use QuickBooks yourself. I recently spent a ton of hours on a client fixing their records. It resulted in a huge bill and could've been prevented by having a QB savvy person in place to begin with.
Rex Grossman.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Thanks all! I'm an auto mechanic so you can guess what my business is. ;)

Thankfully, I use QB Pro every day and I am also very Excel Savvy. I'm so friggin excited!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
note to self...keep Dan away from my daughter
Back from gay Paris are you?

I was driving through melrose the other day and saw a guy (who looked a lot like DHRFX Joe) walking a french mastiff while wearing panties on his head, a WTB tank top and some girlie pajama bottoms. Just sayin.....:clue:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
IMMEDIATELY pick up a copy of The E-Myth Revisited. Seriously, I've owned a small business for almost 5 years and that book has recently changed my entire way of thinking. Oh - and also definitely find yourself a good accountant and a good lawyer. :thumb:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
IMMEDIATELY pick up a copy of The E-Myth Revisited. Seriously, I've owned a small business for almost 5 years and that book has recently changed my entire way of thinking. Oh - and also definitely find yourself a good accountant and a good lawyer. :thumb:
:stupid:

I haven't even officially started my own business yet, but that book made me rethink a lot of what I was trying to do. I'm clearly a technician, not a businessman. But I also started my MBA (today, actually), so I hope that helps change things.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
:stupid:

I haven't even officially started my own business yet, but that book made me rethink a lot of what I was trying to do. I'm clearly a technician, not a businessman. But I also started my MBA (today, actually), so I hope that helps change things.
Ha ha - I'm clearly a lot of entrepreneur, a little technician and no manager. But I'm learning to create a healthy balance of all. More importantly, I'm REALLy learning how to make my business run without me, not just hiring people to take orders in my absence.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Congrats!
Working for yourself is much harder work, but at least it's all for you!
I never want to work for someone again.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Hehehe, I celebrated last night with some NY tri-tip drizzled with a sauce made of spicy chili sauce, cheap merlot, and terayaki glaze on top of a bed of white rice. Chased down with a nice pint of Boddingtons.

I think I'll fare pretty well. I've been managing my boss' business for nearly 5 years now. My work crew is pretty well trained and very trust worthy. I'll definately pick up that book.

The name of my shop came to me in a dream last night...

Sherman's Automotive Maintenance Program, "Sherm's AMP" for short. Wadduthink?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Good luck Sherms, I'm rootin for ya!
Heading out to Woodward West this weekend?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I can't wait for woodward. Too bad I have to do a one hitter quitter on sunday... AGAIN. With all the moving, prepping, and trying to make some moolah, sunday is all I can squeeze out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hehehe, I celebrated last night with some NY tri-tip drizzled with a sauce made of spicy chili sauce, cheap merlot, and terayaki glaze on top of a bed of white rice. Chased down with a nice pint of Boddingtons.

I think I'll fare pretty well. I've been managing my boss' business for nearly 5 years now. My work crew is pretty well trained and very trust worthy. I'll definately pick up that book.

The name of my shop came to me in a dream last night...

Sherman's Automotive Maintenance Program, "Sherm's AMP" for short. Wadduthink?

It sounds like you're in a good position here...

-You're picking up a work crew you're already familiar with
-You're going to get customers you're already familiar with
-It sounds like you've gotten some really good exposure as to how to run the kind of business you're going to at your previous job.

Git 'r' dun!

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Wow that's quite a jump sherms! Best of luck to ya! I'll have to take my cars to your place. Make sure you install a diaper changing station.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
My first step is to renovate the bathroom, so a diaper changing station is a definate possibility. Good news too, I just picked up the program for the Audi 08 and older so you're covered brotha.

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
Congrats Sherms! :)

I agree with Manny, a diaper changing station is going to be a must! :D

Good luck with the move and everything (you can borrow my truck anytime). See you at Woodward! :)

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Thanks Mama H. I really appreciated the loaning of the truck thing. Saved my arse for sure. I'll try to get to woodward stupidly early. So I'll try to score a parking spot up top so we have a place to hang out.