Quantcast

wrist braces and protection for the hands in general...

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
hey guys so two weeks ago i crashed in whistler and destroyed both my hands...

broken scaphoid and hamatum whatever in my right hand, and some fractured bones in the middle part of my left hand...

anybody on here got some experience with wristbraces and better handprotection in general?
any input greatly appreciated

its annoying the rest of my protective gear, POC knee/shin guards, knee brace, 661 evo elbow pads, POC chest, shoulder and back armor and my THE Helmet did a great job...

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Its the last place anyone seems to get protection gear. I messed up my left hand earlier in the year, still having problems with movement restriction and pains at certain angles.

I did get a chance to try out the Allsport Dynamics OH2 wrist brace while I was at Interbike for the Outdoor Demo. Safe to say I'm getting one. I liked the adjustable movement, it was super comfy, and didn't restrict my hand on the bar at all. I noticed it took up a small bit of the palm on the shuttle up, but once I was riding, the only time I noticed it was when I looked down. It never bottomed it self out when I was riding, but if one was to put their hand out when in a crash, it would prevent the hand from moving too far back; just the way I want it. If you send in your appropriate glove, they will also stitch it on the brace for you so you no longer have any straps over the palm.

1279044073.jpg

p4pb7133081.jpg

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I would think that integrating it with your glove is not the best idea. I know I go through gloves like I go through cases of beer. In other words, quite often!! ;)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I run all sport dynamics wrist braces. A years years ago at mt snow (many years ago actually) i blew my scaphoid into 8 pieces. I lost a lot of mobility and strength. The guys at all sport hooked it up and I have been using them on and off ever since. I got them involved in MTB and soon they had braces on CG, Steve Peat and most recently Matti among others. Most of supercross, outdoors and the freestyle moto guys wear this exact brace. Barcia is one of their spokespeople.

I actually have a set of their new braces arriving today. They no longer have any sort of padding, strapping or anything on the palm, and slip into a pocket that gets sewn into your favorite gloves. I'll post pics of mine today or tomorrow, but here is the new brace they were showing off at Interbike. Carbon fiber and titanium construction. I swear by them.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'll shoot some photos tomorrow of the news ones, as well as the previous 3 generations of this brace. The evolution has been pretty cool to see.

The newest option is a velcro speedwrap instead of the lacing system. Much smaller brace and way less material. Very fast to put on and adjust, it was designed or Justin Barcia and he is wearing them preventatively now.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
do you find that when crashing your fingers are now more likely to hyperextend backwards? does it do anything to prevent the impact/compression forces on your hand/palm or is it mostly just to prevent your wrist from wanting to invert?

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
do you find that when crashing your fingers are now more likely to hyperextend backwards? does it do anything to prevent the impact/compression forces on your hand/palm or is it mostly just to prevent your wrist from wanting to invert?
Mostly just preventing the wrist from hyper-extending.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Newest braces off the Allsport dyanmics line just showed up.

OH2 with speedwrap and glove pocket. Carbon fibre brace, titanium hardware and custom paint. Thanks to Jeff over at Allsport and Stik at TLD for emergency shipping them some gloves for me. You guys kick ass.

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Newest braces off the Allsport dyanmics line just showed up.

OH2 with speedwrap and glove pocket. Carbon fibre brace, titanium hardware and custom paint. Thanks to Jeff over at Allsport and Stik at TLD for emergency shipping them some gloves for me. You guys kick ass.

I was debating on the speedwrap and the traditional one. Any input on what one you like better and why?