Quantcast

Would I be justified in hitting a guy...

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
who ran into me with his brand new, Chevy Blazer, while I was ridding home the other night.

I was wearing a reflective vest, had a tail light and a headlight on, was all the way over on the shoulder and even his girlfriend was screaming at him to watch out. I'm fine, he barely grazed me. But he was hauling ass, screeched to make a corner at speed, (damn near t-boned me) and cut me off, causing me to run into his rear quarter-panel. Then he has the audacity to call me all kinds of colorful names because I damaged his "new ride."
The whole time his girlfriend is yelling at him saying he's dumbass, etc. and that "he should have been paying attention instead of trying to be a badass."

What is his response to this? "Shut up, b*tch. Get back in the car."

I kept really cool and calm. I told him if he was so upset to call the cops. He hit me anyway. He shut up and left, but OOOHHHH how I wanted to clean his clock.

What do you think, monkeys? Should I have knocked the piss out of him and told him to get a clue?

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
i think you woulda been totally justified, but it would not have been the smartest thing to do. lawyers and society have made it so you cant just go around hitting people.

You get his plate number?

oh yeah, is the bike ok?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yes totally justified. Then take his pickup and girlfreind from him as well. There was a number of ways you could have handled it but the way you did was definately the most adult way. That being said i would have clocked him back myself. Are you going to file an accident report, or report the assault? You gotta do something.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Leaving the scene of an accident is a serious offense. I hope you got the plate and reported it to the police. Glad you're OK, and that you didn't hit him. Just because he was an a-hole, doesn't mean you should return the favor.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by El Jefe
Leaving the scene of an accident is a serious offense. I hope you got the plate and reported it to the police. Glad you're OK, and that you didn't hit him. Just because he was an a-hole, doesn't mean you should return the favor.

Ditto.

Just wish I was better at acting as described.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
The way I look at it is that you should only start getting physical if you cannot avoid it. Examples include self defence (i.e. someone starts on you and you need to defend yourself) or defence of others (fairly similar).

Revenge/anger release aren't really good justifications in my book.

Not always easy mind!

Originally posted by fluff
The way I look at it is that you should only start getting physical if you cannot avoid it. Examples include self defence (i.e. someone starts on you and you need to defend yourself) or defence of others (fairly similar).

Revenge/anger release aren't really good justifications in my book.

Not always easy mind!
Same for me.....although this is tough to do. :) I may be Christian but dang do I have a temper. Although I can say with honesty that I have only been in 2 fights in my life, and I have never started one.

However, I am hugely sarcastic to those who tick me off. No, not bragging about it...it's just a fact, and something I'd like to change.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
so i was going to post "nothing justifies hitting someone unless they physically assault you first." but since he did assault you i say maybe you should have knocked the **** out of him. you probably should have knocked the **** out of him for calling his girlfriend a bitch.. i imagine if he got the **** knocked out of him more often he would adjust his ****ty attitude. but you know, it probably is just best to get his plate and turn it into the cops and just tell the story like you hit him.;)

Evan

Chimp
May 28, 2002
Littleton, CO
To be honest, I'm not a fighting man, but I probably would have beat the hell out of him. There's nothing that pisses me off more than motorists that give cyclists crap.

I carry rocks with me when I go for road rides. If and when someone almost hits me, runs me off the road, etc. I have no problem chucking a rock or two at them. I know that throwing rocks at cars is frowned upon, but they have got to learn their lesson. There are some motorists around here that just don't give a damn at all about cyclists. I just can't stand letting them get away with it.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
The first thing I think of when having a car-vs-bike incident is AHHHHHHHHH, am I going to die? That usually gets our good friends adreniline and endorphins pumping, which in the case of me makes me feel real tall and strong. So I would say that the feeling to kick booty is there, but then fear and sanity return and I just let it go. Darn it, it would feel good to lay a WWF smackdown on some of these bozos :D .

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Originally posted by Evan
To be honest, I'm not a fighting man, but I probably would have beat the hell out of him. There's nothing that pisses me off more than motorists that give cyclists crap.

I carry rocks with me when I go for road rides. If and when someone almost hits me, runs me off the road, etc. I have no problem chucking a rock or two at them. I know that throwing rocks at cars is frowned upon, but they have got to learn their lesson. There are some motorists around here that just don't give a damn at all about cyclists. I just can't stand letting them get away with it.
I would disagree with you on the rock thing. Sometimes people know how much space you need. I have had a few instances of people flipping me off, or yelling at me when I drive by them "too close". I am a cyclist and I ride on the roads a lot. Just becasue someone does not go into the other lane doesn't mean that you should get pissed off.

I know that sometimes people are intending to get close to you, just to be a**holes. But bringing rocks along just seems like you want to or look forward to taking out some rage on someone. That person however may not deserve it.

All that venting your anger accomplishes, is the creation of another angry motorist. As tolerable of cyclists as I am, I still get pissed when some "roadie" yells at me while I drive by. Think of what it does to some young redneck sh1t head. From that point on they will look forward to scaring roadies off of the roads.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
I'm in complete agreement about the rocks and also the sentiment about the kind of action a given driver will do with the next (brother/sister) cyclist they meet down the road. I carry a cell phone with me always and for sure I'd be calling in on that guy immediately and would gladly press charges if it came to that. Hope the gf knows where the local woman's shelter is... she may be needing it some day given the behavior of this a-hole.