Quantcast

World Champs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
It seems like the mind games are going on strong. The guys with the DH bikes are certain they picked the right bike and wouldn't want something else. The shorter travel guys are saying they have the advantage. The in-between guys think they have the best of both worlds.

It would be interesting to know what they really think about their bike choices. Feeling you went to the worlds with the wrong bike can have a big impact on where your head is for the race.

Heck, it sounds like just showing up at the worlds had a big impact on Lopes' mindset. Of course, that also may be part of the mind games...
i would not read into it too much... these guys have had a full year to prepare for this race after it being on the world cup calendar last year.

no one has "turned up" with the right/wrong bike. plenty of time has been spent testing and comparing different setups on various training tracks, etc. all of these bikes are custom builds with real DH geometry just a bit lighter and in some cases a bit lower in the travel dept.

Fabian is the king of testing and by far the most meticulous rider out there. if he is riding a little bike it is because he has done the homework and knows he will be faster on it.

same can be said for the rest of the field.

what works for one rider may not work for another... for example peat mentions he just can not carry speed on anything but a dh bike. regardless it will come down to who wants it the most and leaves it all on the track sunday afternoon.

Last edited:

DIRT-HQ

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
Wales
Just wondering if anyone who knows the facts can fill us in on why there is no seeding run this year?
Seems odd...
The trade teams pushed through the motion to bin seeding for the Worlds. Rules out seeding tactics and makes for a more exciting final if the top riders run in the same conditions.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
So what order do they run in, the UCI Rankings I presume, hence Gee being last?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Fabian is the king of testing and by far the most meticulous rider out there. if he is riding a little bike it is because he has done the homework and knows he will be faster on it.

same can be said for the rest of the field.

what works for one rider may not work for another... for example peat mentions he just can not carry speed on anything but a dh bike. regardless it will come down to who wants it the most and leaves it all on the track sunday afternoon.
Whilst I do agree with you to some extent, it can be hard to gauge how a course will weather so many practice runs. If the course is getting rutted and beaten up, it may well be that the advantage of running the smaller bike is diminishing with time. This was why I was so shocked to hear Sam and Brendan didn't even BRING the Demos with them. Pretty sure I saw a DH bike on the Mondraker stand so it sounds like Fabien has the option of switching if he wants it.

Agreed though. I'm absolutely LOVING the tactics and build-up for this one. Beats studying for my PhD candicy exam for sure...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Been said a few times in this thread, but why not again...
the amount of media we are getting out of this worlds is staggering. Love it!

Few thoughts....
-that left hander in the latest DIRT video, looks to be a massive time killer if you hit it wrong, as close as this race will be, you blow that turn and you are out of top 15.
-That Wynn Masters dude said the A-line was the "gayest race I have ever done"....like to hear his thoughts on this race.
-And 4X tonight, wonder if Graves can finally make it happen?
-A major industry player asked me the other day "I been watching all the videos from the worlds, what is up with all the riders swearing??? Seems like every other word is 'F@ck' and seems like a lot of negativity coming through about the event, this can not be cool with the sponsors"...

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Looks like we all need to send Ulmer some fast pedaling vibes. Not the best time on the bottom section during the timed run but I know that he has a lot more in him.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Been said a few times in this thread, but why not again...
the amount of media we are getting out of this worlds is staggering. Love it!

Few thoughts....
-that left hander in the latest DIRT video, looks to be a massive time killer if you hit it wrong, as close as this race will be, you blow that turn and you are out of top 15.
-That Wynn Masters dude said the A-line was the "gayest race I have ever done"....like to hear his thoughts on this race.
-And 4X tonight, wonder if Graves can finally make it happen?
-A major industry player asked me the other day "I been watching all the videos from the worlds, what is up with all the riders swearing??? Seems like every other word is 'F@ck' and seems like a lot of negativity coming through about the event, this can not be cool with the sponsors"...

1:20 http://dirtmag.co.uk/worldcup/category/videos/dirt-tv-canberra-trackwalk/dirt-1235640.html

he tends to lay the sarcasm on pretty thick which some don't care for. personally, i love it.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Looks like we all need to send Ulmer some fast pedaling vibes. Not the best time on the bottom section during the timed run but I know that he has a lot more in him.
actually his last split was pretty good. 41.43 sec. I'll guess he had a mishap in the rockgarden. his speed was crap:eek:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
actually his last split was pretty good. 41.43 sec. I'll guess he had a mishap in the rockgarden. his speed was crap:eek:
I'm more than sure that he crashed at the top.

Mitch put down a decent time knowing that he is obviously holding out a bit for 4X.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Peat has always been the kind of rider to run his stuff a little on the softer side and have it "settle" in corners more than staying higher and more agile. A bit more "old-school" where riders used to keep going for plusher and plusher, rather than the more recent trends of stiff/dead/stable. I've noticed he's been bottoming out a lot less in recent years though, but still seems to be running further into the stroke than a lot of the other top guys.

Hannah is looking DAMN fast in that video...

I think Lopes is staying conservative. To see him NOT sprinting his ass off is odd. I suspect we'll see something different out of him in the finals.

Sam ain't looking slow there either even though he isn't a huge pedaller.

Going to be interesting.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Sam ain't looking slow there either even though he isn't a huge pedaller.

Going to be interesting.
I thought the same thing. To me Sam and Greg seemed like they were carrying insane amounts of speed. I'm thinking Sam may surprise a few people.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yup, I got it. Lopes is up early and looking quick!

**** I'm not getting any studying done tonight...

v6 4.3

Monkey
Jan 22, 2005
k strait is faster than lopes in timed run. like 1sec faster.

Last edited:

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
Cam Cole's run must have been amazing. But I am wonder what is wrong cause he's listed as number 1 but still hasn't moved up to the top of the list. While other people who went after him have...

Status
Not open for further replies.