Quantcast

Work outs

shorty13

Chimp
Aug 21, 2008
What have been racers doing to work out lately and keep in shape? I've been doing some runs and stuff but nothing too serious.

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
plyometrics if you can! I do a lot of body weight stuff, but I also do squats with weights, and lunges with dumbells.
But I have not done races yet, but I have seen a noticeable difference in my riding. I am doing a race next spring or summer called the BPMS150. It is a road ride, but it is about 170 miles in 2 days. from Houston to Austin Texas.
And then of course the greenbrier challenge.

Last edited:

trebor

Chimp
Aug 23, 2008
I dont really "train" for the races around here, but I do compete in them (XC). My "workouts" are just my regular muay thai training things. Mostly body weight, runs, and sprints. Lunges would work great for biking IMO. Get 2 45 dumbbells and just lunge your way across the basketball court. Most people screw up and go for "sets / reps," but time is more efficient IMO (2 minutes of pushups, do your max amount possible, etc etc).

I dont see why burpees wouldnt work well too. Box jumps would probably work pretty well also. These are things I do most days anyway, but I dont see how they wouldnt help someone training for riding only.

shorty13

Chimp
Aug 21, 2008
thanks! I totally forgot about lunges with weights. I was thinking of doing a box. I went to a track workout with my club running team and we did 1.5 min mountain climbers in 400m runs and I think those are very useful. I'm gonna have to find a big box somewhere...or use my dorm chair.

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
I've been lifting for upper body and riding my single speed every day on the trail. I go for longer rides to build my endurance. I also ride my dirt jump bike on my pump track a couple times a week.