Quantcast

woah.. NSMB just dropped a sweet Shock Rate article

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
holy fucking shitballs. You leave the hemisphere for a few weeks to go ride bikes that don't have rear suspension and a goddam innernet bush fire breaks out.
This bike might not have suspension, but the S-shaped chainstays look problematic.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
And I bought a 20 dollar linkage program off the internet that relies on pictures for measurements so I know what's up.
^^This. Occasionally someone points out that small dimensional differences in short link geo greatly affects the curves LInkage spits out.

This is not 1995. a lot of the basic engr principles are well established -- that doesn't mean there's agreement on the best overall suspension design, but that also means that 'derpa derpa rootbeer shut up and go ride your bike' statements are pretty useless and head-in-the-sand. Joeg, it sucks they used this w/o contacting SC but at the same time you or SC should seriously consider using facts as a rebuttal to the points the article triggered. Even if you just state 'don't draw conclusions from those LInkage graphs, they're wrong for our bikes'.

I'm a SC fan -- I own a Bronson (SC carbonz fiber seems to be more durable than some others out there, and the lower zerk pivots are the bomb) and had a Nomad a few years ago...but I'm the first to admit that I usually have to do more shock setup kung fu to get the SC bike to feel dialled than on some of my 4 bar HL bikes. So why not discuss this topic? I didn't read all of Udi's posts on nsmb but the ones I read were simple statements of what he considered fact, and were pretty civil. Dirk eventually admitted he was wrong. Cam....well no comment.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Yeah, can we get a SC trail bike with a V10 leverage ratio curve?
My nomad3 with debonair exhibits none of the fatal flaws preached about in the nsmb comments shitshow. I imagine the vorsprung band-aid can would do the same.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My nomad3 with debonair exhibits none of the fatal flaws preached about in the nsmb comments shitshow.

With the one I borrowed, I had 7 volume reducers, 3lbs of slick honey, 2 decent sized squirrels and 37 pizza crusts stuffed in there, riding the flippy lever in the middle position and it still blew through most of its travel rolling at crawling pace. I thought it was the quintessential example of everyone else's gripes.

(the 7 rubber bands and flippy lever part is actually true)

Where do you run your flippy lever on most descents?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
With the one I borrowed, I had 7 volume reducers, 3lbs of slick honey, 2 decent sized squirrels and 37 pizza crusts stuffed in there, riding the flippy lever in the middle position and it still blew through most of its travel rolling at crawling pace. I thought it was the quintessential example of everyone else's gripes.

(the 7 rubber bands and flippy lever part is actually true)

Where do you run your flippy lever on most descents?
I ride mine wide open all the time.
Once I got the neg spring properly charged, which took several attempts and lots of cursing, the bike feels dialed. Way better than my previous nomads.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
. Way better than my previous nomads.
Definitely with you on that. I rode the one I had with the expectation of buying one as my primary trail bike. I just didn't think it was snappy enough for that. I still want to try one with a good coil. And I could see myself on one if it were my 'second, bigger' trail bike. The frame geo on that thing is just so good. I just wasn't really stoked on the leverage debonair combo.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
wait, so are we back on the "zOMG linkage is just the worst!" bandwagon again? I thought we had pretty much agreed that garbage in, garbage out, and that the scale of some of these changes was not so significant as to uproot an entire designers patent portfolio. i need to get my pitchfork ready

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
wait, so are we back on the "zOMG linkage is just the worst!" bandwagon again?
I'm not. I bought it and tinker around with it pretty regularly.

But to take its outputs as gospel when you don't know who entered the dimensions (if not you) or how they got their measurements is kinda silly. But for a 'general idea' of how a bike that you can't ride is going to behave I think it's cool as hell.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
you or SC should seriously consider using facts as a rebuttal to the points the article triggered.
The reason I don't bother with that is because of....

I didn't read all of Udi's posts on nsmb
In the rare instances where things do remain civil, the anonymity of those posting can be problematic. Its like trying to have a meaningful relationship through a glory hole.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
^It's the damn water bottle mount isn't it? Maybe this is time to take advantage of the fanny pack bullshit that's sweeping the generation that hasn't realized they suck yet

If that bike really does share a leverage rate slope with a v10, I'd buy it in a heartbeat once it was all prettied and lighted up in a plastic version.

I'm kind of hanging on the fact that you used
haven't gone that way for production yet.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Looks like seat tube length on small sizes would be issue more than water bottle. At 6'4 I say build it.