Quantcast

windrock may 15 and 16

888fall

Chimp
Sep 16, 2009
chicago
a group of us from chicago are heading up friday may 14 and riding the 15,16. well 4 of us for sure and 4 maybes. we have a group campsite at frozen head state park for fri,sat and sun night. it is good for 15 people if anyone needs somewhere to camp. is anyone else planning on going that weekend.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
I've got a group coming down that weekend. Some of us are staying in Pigeon Forge, but not sure about the others, we don't have the final number yet. I'll send them your way though if any need a place to camp.

DTLogic

Monkey
Aug 16, 2006
South Fla
Frozen Head is pretty far from Windrock. Windrock has their own campground about a 5 minute truck ride to the base of the bike trail. There are also a few other campgrounds closer than Frozen Head. If I remember correctly, Frozen Head is about a 45 min drive. Have Fun!

http://www.windrockpark.com/

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Frozen head is about 15 mnutes away. It's super quite and really nice. Windrock park is ok but there is not a tree or creek in sight and on a hot weekend can be tough to relax after riding.

888fall

Chimp
Sep 16, 2009
chicago
thanks doug.imo windrock park is a parking lot that you can camp in, but it is close. frozen head is one of the nicest state parks i have been to, and it indeed is about 15min away. there is a bar on the way also.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, I don't understand why they did the Windrock Park like that. The terrain didn't look like that before. I guess it goes along with modern development. Clear cut, level, concrete, then plant non-native trees.

However Frozen Head is really nice and quite. Plus there are some killer trails in there. Not for bikes of course. ;)

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
not a tree or creek in sight
Not that you'll get much shade from them this year, but CC did plant dozens of mature size trees all over the campground 2 weeks ago.
(non native :rolleyes:) Very good move on their part, and one that was planned since the inception of the campground idea. :thumb:

888fall

Chimp
Sep 16, 2009
chicago
about what time can you ride till there without bustin out the lights?? just seeing if we can maybe get some laps in on friday when we get there.

888fall

Chimp
Sep 16, 2009
chicago
This time of year u can get away with 7:45 or so if your pushing it.
Night runs are awesome at the rock BTW
night rides are not out of the realm of possibility. probably just not the first night. but then again who knows. thanks for the info

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Will anyone be doing a shuttle? I'm coming down with the family (mom and dad riding a rzr) Dad might let me use his truck and do a few runs for people but I can't hold that many people and I doubt he'd want a stranger driving it for when I do some rides down.

Also is that Frozen Head campsite accessible to a 30ish foot camper? We've stayed at Windrock's before and while it was nice to having to haul the quads to the trail, we weren't digging the whole gravel parking lot deal.

888fall

Chimp
Sep 16, 2009
chicago
Will anyone be doing a shuttle? I'm coming down with the family (mom and dad riding a rzr) Dad might let me use his truck and do a few runs for people but I can't hold that many people and I doubt he'd want a stranger driving it for when I do some rides down.

Also is that Frozen Head campsite accessible to a 30ish foot camper? We've stayed at Windrock's before and while it was nice to having to haul the quads to the trail, we weren't digging the whole gravel parking lot deal.
i have a truck that can shuttle 7. right now we have 7 going. people will be sitting out runs im sure and i dont have a problem shuttling other people if there is room. as far as a 30 footer at frozen head i dont think so. there is a width restriction because of a narrow bridge. if you call them they will give you the exact restrictions. they told me last time i stayed there i just dont remember, all i know is that my pop-up fits.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
We've got a few guys coming that weekend. Right now I'm not sure what we're doing for a shuttle, but worst case I'm buying a hitch rack for my car, in addition to the roof rack I already have. Hope someone is there who knows all the trails, because I only get there like once a year and I always forget them, and the other guys have never been there.

gobighitmtb

Chimp
Jul 26, 2009
IL
the trails aren't to hard to figure out plus I don't think we will be doing to many runs from the top, it sounds like some of the trails have been lost due to mining.

tommygii

Chimp
Sep 16, 2009
I'll be out there to ride Sunday (weather dependent). I'll probably show up saturday night and throw a tent up for the night in the parking lot, so i'll be out early. I can only haul 2 bikes, but happy to help out in whatever shuttle situation ends up working out.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Alright picked up a cheap hitch rack (Xport Flatbed for $100) for my car, so our crew should be all set with shuttle. 2 on the roof and 2 in the back, and my car is a Turbo charged Subaru Outback so it should have no difficulty pulling up the shuttle road. See you all out there Saturday morning.

gobighitmtb

Chimp
Jul 26, 2009
IL
I'll be out there to ride Sunday (weather dependent). I'll probably show up saturday night and throw a tent up for the night in the parking lot, so i'll be out early. I can only haul 2 bikes, but happy to help out in whatever shuttle situation ends up working out.

We got room at FrozenHead If you got Beer!!!! :thumb:

CLos

Chimp
Jan 28, 2007
I went this past weekend with some friends. Weather was great. Lower trails were all in great shape but did not find a way on to the windmill trail because of new construction (mining). Is there access to the windmill at a lower point or is it gone? Just want to know for the next trip.

Attachments

1speedbrian

Chimp
Jan 20, 2009
..... Is there access to the windmill at a lower point or is it gone? Just want to know for the next trip.
Drive past the "Start'n $hit" trail head, take the first right turn. When you get to a green gas well you just missed the trail by 100'. I usually turn around doing a circle around the well. This puts you at the big pointy rock just above the high speed section, everything is good from there down. I hiked the top a couple of weeks ago, the damage is severe, It will be a while before any of the top is open again.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
There are a few trees down and the weeds are thick in a few places. We are working to clean it up but let us know if you find anymore trees down. Right now there is a big one down on the windmills. I will be out there Saturday afternoon to cut them out.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Shade is worth more money than water at Windrock.
Well now I'm thinking it got flooded/thrown away. I didn't see it at work today, not that I actually looked or anything.. Hopefully I'll remember to look tomorrow, if I can't find I'll try to see if any of my friends have one I could borrow.

tommygii

Chimp
Sep 16, 2009
Well now I'm thinking it got flooded/thrown away. I didn't see it at work today, not that I actually looked or anything.. Hopefully I'll remember to look tomorrow, if I can't find I'll try to see if any of my friends have one I could borrow.
I'll plan on bringing one down for sunday if you can't find it.

gobighitmtb

Chimp
Jul 26, 2009
IL
anyone coming this weekend that has a set of elizir brake pads? my are getting down to the nitty gritty and don't know if they'll last the day.
I have two bikes I'm bringing both w/ elixers if need be I can pull the pads out of my extra bike.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
much appreciated. hopefully i won't need them but WR can take a toll on brakes.
brother, there were THREE different customers came in our office that next week to all make vehicle changes on their insurance. Every last one had ditched an 03-05 6.0 F250 with virtually identical issues. I'd never heard of anything on them until that week...then BOOm!!:confused:

brother, there were THREE different customers came in our office that next week to all make vehicle changes on their insurance. Every last one had ditched an 03-05 6.0 F250 with virtually identical issues. I'd never heard of anything on them until that week...then BOOm!!:confused:

You know hes talking bout bicycle brakes right?

And every diesel guy knows the 6.0 blows headgasketslike crazy. So what were the people who changed vehicles saying ?

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Yeah I was talking about bike brakes. If I thought for a minute I had to worry about changing the pads on my diesel, windrock would be the last place I'd decide to do it at.:D