Quantcast

Windrock July 11th 12th

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Hey I'm trying to get a small group of guys from Columbus to head down to Windrock July 11th and possibly camp out and ride the 12th as well. I've been there once before, but when I was there the upper windmill trails were closed so we only rode down from the halfway drop in where snakerock and the 2-3 other trails are.

Is there gonna be a decent size group down that weekend we might be able to shuttle with? Right now it's only 2 of us coming from Columbus. If I can get a 3rd or 4th we could just shuttle with the rack on my CR-V but if someone has a truck and could use a few more in their group that would definitely be better. Or if not, are any of you gonna be there that could show me where the drop in for the upper trails are. We drove up there once but I cannot remember exactly where the trail heads are and I know what a long drive it can be back and forth up that road.

Also, any advice on cheaper local camp spots or cheap hotels? Thanks all!

-Jake

tnmtnbkr

Chimp
Jan 7, 2007
Jake-
It is hit and miss as to how many will be out riding that weekend. There is a pretty solid group of locals who usually ride on Sundays early am, as to avoid 90+ temps. A few weekends ago we were running two trucks with 7+ bikes each run up the mountain. You might try to pm Profro to arrange a Saturday tour guide. Post something early to mid-next week if you're still headed down. I know myself and a couple others are headed to snowshoe that weekend, so we won't be around. As for the trails, the upper windmill trail is gone but there is a 1/2 way drop off thats totally different than the lower th "startin' sh*t". It would be helpful to have a guide. There's a campground on the road to windrock that has camping or cabins for rent w/ bath houses.Good luck.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
I know a couple of ATL fellas were talkin about making it up that weekend. I am planing on going. I already have off work.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Jake-
It is hit and miss as to how many will be out riding that weekend. There is a pretty solid group of locals who usually ride on Sundays early am, as to avoid 90+ temps. A few weekends ago we were running two trucks with 7+ bikes each run up the mountain. You might try to pm Profro to arrange a Saturday tour guide. Post something early to mid-next week if you're still headed down. I know myself and a couple others are headed to snowshoe that weekend, so we won't be around. As for the trails, the upper windmill trail is gone but there is a 1/2 way drop off thats totally different than the lower th "startin' sh*t". It would be helpful to have a guide. There's a campground on the road to windrock that has camping or cabins for rent w/ bath houses.Good luck.
When were you last there? The windmill trail is open now according to some of the folks who ride there fairly regularly. I know the half way drop in you speak of, some good stuff down in there.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
When were you last there? The windmill trail is open now according to some of the folks who ride there fairly regularly. I know the half way drop in you speak of, some good stuff down in there.
The upper windmill trail is not open or even there for that matter. It is good to go from the halfway point off G1 however.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
The upper windmill trail is not open or even there for that matter. It is good to go from the halfway point off G1 however.
ah, okay. Found of some of the Cincinnati guys may be coming down as well, they know the trails like the back of their hand so I should be good to go on finding everything. Hopefully I'll see some of you all out there!

colegrove

Chimp
Jan 7, 2009
The weather for this weekend at windrock looks pretty good on saturday with a 10% chance of rain, but sunday is a 40% chance of thunderstorms. if the weather is bad on sunday will you all still ride? If i can make it up on saturday is there any chance of me shuttiling with someone?

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Bad news here, one of the three of us who were supposed to be coming from columbus broke his arm today so we are out. The two of us can't afford the gas/camping by ourselves unfortunately.
Dang.
I'm gonna try to get a trip in early August going, but if any of you ride Snowshoe we'll be there for race 2 in about 2.5 weeks here.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Is anyone riding Saturday???? I planned to hook up and ride with the Atlians on Sat. but, can't get out for Sunday now. Just wanting to see if anyone else will
be there on Saturday?