Quantcast

Windrock April 10th & 11th

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Hey guys, a group of us from Ohio/Kentucky area are heading to windrock this weekend. We've got a truck with a small shuttling trailer and we can shuttle around 12 total people. Right now there are 7 of us coming down, so I'd like to see who else might be interested in coming out and possibly joining our shuttle (could take up to 5 more).

We'll be there Saturday from 1pm till about as long as light allows and Sunday from mid morning (not exactly sure of the time, probably 9 or 10am) till around 2 or 3pm. I'm asking $20 shuttle fee for both days or $12 if you just want one day. The trailer is fairly easy to load so we should get a good amount of runs in, and with as many people as we've got going it's unlikely you'd need to drive down more than once per day.

Anyhow, just wanted to see who might be interested. Weather looks like it's going to be pretty decent!

Last edited:

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Good to hear, Doug. For anyone coming out, look for the Green Honda Ridgeline with the trailer on it (I'm assuming we'll be the only truck with a trailer out there, but you never know). Some of our group isn't sure if they're staying for Sunday, in which case we might leave the trailer at the bottom of the hill till we get enough riders. If you see the trailer sitting at the bottom in the staging area on Sunday, just wait for one of us to come back down in the truck and introduce yourselves and we can get the trailer rolling again if need be.

-Jake

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Good weekend guys, wish I could have seen more of you out there though, I'm always surprised how few people show up to that place on such amazing weekends. Probably next time if we bring my truck we won't be bringing the trailer. Even charging around $10 to $15 a day (per person) shuttling with the trailer, I ended up about $30 further in the whole than if I would have just brought my truck with my Thule rack on it and shuttled only the folks I knew were coming down. That trailer just killed the highway mileage on the way down (went from around 17 to about 11 mpg).

Still had an awesome weekend and thanks to the local guys who helped point out some new sections of trail I hadn't ridden before. So many cool older trails hidden there!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Just talked this morning with Mark Webb about the lack of locals to support the mtn.

Its amazes me how so many other towns, i.e. New Orleans, have more DHers than this area. We have never had more than 10 or so locals that DH.

I guess it doesn't help that all the locals that have ridden Windrock for years are now twisting the throttle.

RapidRob

Chimp
Aug 12, 2009
Bama
I'd love to make it up there more often and be able to help build, but the $18 entrance fee for myself and my wife who drives my shuttle on top of the cost of gas from central bama to knoxville can add up quickly. Its obviously the best & most hardcore DH trails in the SouthEast...big thanks to all who build there. But should'nt the MTB fee be less than motorized vehicles?? I'm sure thats a coal creek decision though

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
I buy a season pass. If you go 3 times a year and ride 2 day, it pay for itself. Do any of the fees go to the MTB side of things? Either way I'm thankful for the use of the land and the locals that keep the trail nice. I'd like to head up a day early some time and do some trail work. Just difficult coming from S.Fla.

The way Coal Creek looks at it you pay the fee and do what u want there.
1 size fits all so that no other group can b1tch.
In the same day u can ride moto, jeep trails and DH and still its the same price.
The bargain of course is to buy the yearlypass as early as you can in the year as they do NOT pro rate and then your covered anytime u wanna go. $88

If that seems like alot still remember that CC doesn't get all up in your business unless your speeding in the parkig lot and you can even ride all night if u want. No other place that has trails like that will be so casual.

The prior GM was a little sympathetic to bikes and would give resources from time 2 time if we asked but he passed away and the new guy not so much albeit they really do leave us alone.

Panda

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
Louisiana
Yea Ill never complain about the Price. A lot of riding for the money. Me and Loo were talking on the drive home about trying to come up for a mostly work/little bit of ride weekend. I can speeak for all the LA downhill crew when I say we are so thankful for all the hrs the TN guys put in on the trails. It is pretty much the only full blown dh trails within driving distance from us. And for those trails to be sooooo good is an added bonus.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
The price isn't really the issue for most of us, it's the gas to get there and back. I almost bought a season pass there this year and probably should have. It's mid April and I've ridden there 4 days already...

And yes, us from Ohio are truly grateful to you local trail builders. I'm one of the 2 main builders at our local park and I know how much work it can be trying to keep stuff in good shape. Not to mention how much more trail you guys have to cover than my local place.