Quantcast

Will a Saint rear derailer work with a dual ring front setup?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'm looking for a new derailer (shimano shadow tech) for my trail/mini DH bike and with the rate I flog normal derailers the sait is looking pretty nice. I'm running a 36/22 setup in front though and I'm not sure that the saint will be able to handle all excess chain needed for a dual ring in front. Has anyone done it sucessfully?
:confused:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I had a saint on a 9sp 2x setup a couple of years ago. I was running granny/middle/bash, 26/32 with an 11-34 cassette. as long as I didn't cross-chain granny to high-gears on the back I was fine.

I'm on a 10 sp now, with a narrow-wide ring and clutch derailleur, which is why I ditched the 2x 9sp setup. But I ran the 2x 9sp setup for years (at least 3) with little to no issue. (except with the front derailleur - I hate those things).

the usual ymmv caveat applies, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for you as long as you're willing to be careful which gear combos you get into.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if you go through a lot of deraillers i'd recommend zee over saint, from what i've been told saint is now the "race" dh grouppo, and zee is more of the "burly budget" option.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Official chain wrap capacity of the Saint derailleur is 25t, so that's nowhere enough to cover the full range you're talking about. Now, Shimano specs derailleurs so that you can run the full range of gears, including the stupid cross geared combos that you shouldn't be using anyway, and are often a little conservative with their wrap specs, but it's still not an ideal setup. Can you make it more or less work? Sure. That said, I'd make things easier on yourself and just get something with a medium cage.

22-36 with an 11-34 is 37t chain wrap. In that scenario you wouldn't be able to use the 22t ring with anything smaller than about the 22t on the cassette without the chain going totally slack. Not the end of the world, but seems like more of a PITA than it's worth.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
thanks... So in the Granny to 11t in back you just got a lot of chain slap I assume?
no, much worse than chainslap. It hung limply off the derailleur, drooping down towards the ground. basically, I couldn't access the bottom three cogs when in my granny ring. But not once was that a problem over the course of four years.