Quantcast

Wide+Strong+light....Rims...???

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
sorry i'm sure this question is being ask a million times, but i have a friend looking for the Ultimate wide rims for his ML-8 maverick.

anyway he is going to ride at moab and we think the best way to increase traction and control is to find the wides tyres possible (Sugestion on tyres also welcome) for that we need to have a pretty wide rim to make the sidewall of the tyres more stable and less prone to roll over, the problem is that my friend is kind of a WeightWennie so the rims need to be WiDe, strong,,not downhill strong but a doublewall will be nice,, he will also love if the are UST or whatever you call tubeless rims,,,I know I say crossmax's no he only wants King Hubs, plus he is running a marerick fork so we need a 24MM axle hub.

so any suggestions...?
remenber they need to be.
*Disc only rims.
*wide(about 35mm if not more)
*have Eyelets.
*Strong for heavy cross contry use.
*light as possible
*32 holes by 26"

price is irrelevant.

thanks for the help in advance.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Uhhhh........Mavic EX729's are 29mm wise......Arrow DHX's are 35mm or so wide, but wide and light weight don't go together. It just won't happen.

You could build up a EX729/King maverick hub/36h with apline III spokes............and stuff a 2.7 intense or maxxis on it and be fine. That's about as wide and light as you might get.

Surley makes a rim but I dunno how light it is, the "large marge". Seen them in the mags but they look really overkill for just about anything. It's like taking a CR125's rim and drilling it for a bicycle.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Spunger said:
Uhhhh........Mavic EX729's are 29mm wise......Arrow DHX's are 35mm or so wide, but wide and light weight don't go together. It just won't happen.

You could build up a EX729/King maverick hub/36h with apline III spokes............and stuff a 2.7 intense or maxxis on it and be fine. That's about as wide and light as you might get.
spunger thanks for the posting..

I agree the mavic's 729 sound like the way to go and i totally understand you can not get the two,,, actually i do remenber seeing a rim that have the "TOP" painted white, was pretty light and about 35Mmwide, i just have no idea what they are, they look weak to me but maybe for my friend they will be perfect...

Surley makes a rim but I dunno how light it is, the "large marge". Seen them in the mags but they look really overkill for just about anything. It's like taking a CR125's rim and drilling it for a bicycle.
tell me about it,,does things are Sick,,,i don't know if sick like in my belly hurts or Sick like in a want some..

thanks again for the advice,,,the DT Alpine's are already in the house, i don't use anything else

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I picked up some bombshell fatboys that weigh about the same as rhino lites but are several mms wider. i like em so far, although the are getting a little beat up.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Erm, how about just looking at what the locals run and copying them before you go spending precious gas money?

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Changleen said:
Erm, how about just looking at what the locals run and copying them before you go spending precious gas money?
that is what I'm afraid of,,he is being reading the local sites and everybody say you need a four bar linkage site and that the maverick can not take the pounding, so he is ready to buy a whole diferent bike, personally i keep trying to convince him to take my balfa since I'm sure she can take anything you trow at it...

anyway thanks for the sugestions, that is for sure a very logical aproach.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Rhyno lite XLs are the only rim I know of that's XC light and DH strong and wide. Well except for whatever the mavic 521 is called now, but I like Rhyno lite's price better. Who cares if they're not disc specific, it doesn't sound like your friend plans on using this wheelset except for a couple days at moab. Those bombshell rims may be a good option though, I've never seen those.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Just get the Mavic UST downhill rims and some nice 2.3ish UST trail tires. Case closed.

None of the super-wide rims you're looking at will be of the quality or weight you'd like. And even the Mavic 729 (that's what the old 321s are called now, right?) are pretty damned big and heavy for a trailbike, and they're the best compromise you're going to get on a *really* wide rim.

For a bargain rim, Kornphlake is right on with the Ryno Lite XL or maybe the Singletrack, but you're losing UST capability there, and it's nice to not have to worry too much about pinchflats in a rocky place like Moab.

For tires, you might look at, say, Tioga blue dragons or yellow kirins, Michelin's new trail tires or DH comp 24s, and I've heard excellent things about the Specialized Roller Pros in 2.4 UST from Punkasssean, who rides in very very rocky Santa Barbara terrain.

MD

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
allsk8sno said:
the only white striped rims i can think of are tioga DH rims. and i second the rhyno XL's , trials guys use em too...so i hear.
Oh, yeah, Tioga DH rims are great, too...lightish and super-strong...good call, if you can find them.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
wow you guys know so much about this little things, the only thing more impresive is how nice and helpful you become..

thanks for all the help, i will forward this link to my friend.

every argument is very sound and spot on i'm sure he will have material to figure out what he needs.

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
I'll take this oppurtunity to once again rec. the Azonic Outlaws. 32 mm wide, fairly light for their strength, adaptable to QR and thru axle F+R. ...and you can them for about $250

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Ditto on the Rhynolite XLs, or the tiogas. Not disc-specific, but wide and light. To be honest, I'm not really sure why he thinks he needs such wide rims. For slickrock, you get so much traction, you can run super high pressure to prevent pinches or roll-over and still have traction to spare.

Also, his maverick will be just fine. The trails are technical but not that rough. Porcupine Rim can be done on an XC bike no problem. None of the drops were over 3ft, and all were optional... at least that I remember. I did it on much less bike than a Maverick, and much narrower rims than Rhynolites (mavic 519s) and everything worked and held up fine.