Quantcast

Why the north shore rules 2.0

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
What does fall mean on the Shore? Gorgeous skies, perfect dirt and MTB photographers clogging up the trails the trails while actually riding their bikes and playing with iphone toy camera apps.

Look out for a sick piece soon involving Myself, Sterling Lorence, Margus Riga, Ian Hylands and a helicopter. The MTB world will get their bang for their photo buck on this one! (And I managed to expense a helicopter. Kick ass!)

Sweet shred this morning with Margus Riga.

Last edited:

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
had the pleasure of riding the 3 mountains of the Vancouver North Shore on a number of occasions and have extremely fond memories of these experiences

for people that have not ridden "the shore" in North Van you cannot really explain what its truly all about??

its nothing to do with 'woodwork' (there isn't as much as the NSX videos would lead you to believe) but the beautiful and awesome temperate rainforest terrain, with its scary-steep gradient and super innovative trail building solutions to tackle this madness

riding Mt. Fromme after a rain storm was a truly enlightening experience, to say the least!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
had the pleasure of riding the 3 mountains of the Vancouver North Shore on a number of occasions and have extremely fond memories of these experiences

for people that have not ridden "the shore" in North Van you cannot really explain what its truly all about??

its nothing to do with 'woodwork' (there isn't as much as the NSX videos would lead you to believe) but the beautiful and awesome temperate rainforest terrain, with its scary-steep gradient and super innovative trail building solutions to tackle this madness

riding Mt. Fromme after a rain storm was a truly enlightening experience, to say the least!
Fromme is the tamest of the 3, by a long shot. ;)

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
Here in the UK we don't have grippy split cedar for wet conditions but just slippery tree roots on our DH's..fromme was a revelation simply because my tires had braking grip in the wet!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
We have pine needles, roots and rocks on the East Coast. But what I will always love over any other place...the leaves in the fall.

Every tired old trail you burned in over the summer is buried in 6 inches of mystery traction and hidden hatred. We get all new trails come fall. :thumb:

But dang, would I love to rip the shore....and with a photog on hand to document no less.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Every tired old trail you burned in over the summer is buried in 6 inches of mystery traction and hidden hatred. We get all new trails come fall. :thumb:
that was Bromont yesterday. Wet leaves and off-camber rock slabs to not make for much traction. Dang was it ever fun. Sad the season is over.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
that was Bromont yesterday. Wet leaves and off-camber rock slabs to not make for much traction. Dang was it ever fun. Sad the season is over.
We're just getting fired up for shore season. Spent another spectacular day doing downhill runs in deep loam yesterday on nearly untouched trails. DAy before that I spent 3 hours pedalling on some tacky singletrack into a mini DH run on the little bike. Couple of leaves here and there, but not many on the trails.

I love the fall.

Fall conditions but summer weather seem to be back in Vancouver for a week or so. Who can argue when you're shuttling from somewhere that looks like this???

(Yes the trail location is obvious. Keep it to yourself for obvious reasons)

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
We're just getting fired up for shore season. Spent another spectacular day doing downhill runs in deep loam yesterday on nearly untouched trails. DAy before that I spent 3 hours pedalling on some tacky singletrack into a mini DH run on the little bike. Couple of leaves here and there, but not many on the trails.

I love the fall.
Wurd. Friday I climbed 3k vert on my road bike, Saturday went for a 2 hour moto ride, Sunday did 2k vert descending on the DH bike, and today I'm gonna go do the same road climb again. I love the fall in Socal. Oh wait, I do this every week year round :P. 72 and sunny, always!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wurd. Friday I climbed 3k vert on my road bike, Saturday went for a 2 hour moto ride, Sunday did 2k vert descending on the DH bike, and today I'm gonna go do the same road climb again. I love the fall in Socal. Oh wait, I do this every week year round :P. 72 and sunny, always!
Nice!

I just booked a heli for a 6 hour DH run with 5 legendary MTB photographers and myself - then we have to go to the inside out premiere in whistler. Dear lord, next week will be 2011 in a nutshell.