bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
yeah they are really expensive and I do give them props for kepping to there word about "made in the USA" but it dosent seem like c-dale is putting in a big effort to try and get more people to there DH bikes and such, I mean trek is putting in a big effort in to there DH/FR bikes and I have a feeling 08 is going to be a big year for them from what rumors I have heard about new bikes

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
Yeah I see that for Trek too. Plus picking up riders like Cam McCaul always is good. Cedric leaving Cannondale killed them, but the cut team is still a good bunch of riders

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
...Even great local companies such as Yeti and Transition bikes have moved much of their operations over seas...
For the record, Transition has always been overseas manufacture. Kevin and Kyle had some specific design criteria and price point targets, then went shopping for a frame builder that could meet those.

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
yeah trek is doing a good job putting in a lot of effort in to there bikes and Cam is really happy being with trek I heard so unless something happens I dont think he is going any where

I'm not sure but I know in the upper 6s

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Anybody besides me think Pro racers should start their own rider union to help negotiate salaries, give rider agents a support network and even cheap group medical?

Negotiating a contract for a young racer would be much simpler if all the riders knew each other's contract parameters, bonuses, incentives, pay structure, etc. Every other sport has it.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Anybody besides me think Pro racers should start their own rider union to help negotiate salaries, give rider agents a support network and even cheap group medical?
Let's hope that doesn't happen. Last thing I want is more of my money going to support OTHER people to race and ride :'(

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'd consider a Judge if I saw more of them in my area. As it is, I'm not even sure I know where a cannondale dealer is around my area, and even if I do manage to find one, I'll bet they won't have a judge in stock for me to sit on and pedal around. I never see them in shops or for sale from online dealers so it doesn't even cross my mind to even try one.

It's got to be a decent bike though, didn't Cedric work with cannondale on the bike's geo and spec before he left?

Bad Ronald

Chimp
Jun 30, 2005
Danbury, CT
It's got to be a decent bike though, didn't Cedric work with cannondale on the bike's geo and spec before he left?
Yep he sat in meetings with the engineers at their HQ. He split because of $$. His salary was too big for Cannondale to afford so he went back to invest in Commencal with his old homie Max.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
What's the price of a judge dh replica?
$6000 USD
$4500 for the FR1

I am starting to realize working in a shop that Specialized is becoming crazy expensive and it seems like Cannondale is getting better. $6300 for a Demo 8, give me a break. Thats a HUGE price jump from last year. And lets not even get started with the price jump of the Demo 7 II. I was looking at my options this year for a DH bikes from what we have at our shop company wise and I chose a Cannondale because the area rep hooked us up and their customer service is great.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
cedric worked with them on it. its a sick bike i liked it a lot i think the only reason more people don't ride them is the price

Feb 7, 2007
its going to be hard for any american based company to have low prices. i am a strong believer in you get what you pay for. the judge is a step up from the gemini and rides really nice. i never thought i would switch from cannondale but i don't need nine inches of travel for the way i ride. seven inches is plenty for me. i don't want this to sound the wrong way but i am getting rid of my judge frame plus extras.

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
yeah these companys that build there bikes over seas can sell there bikes a lot cheaper due to labor, and personally I know a lot of folks think think bad about comaonys working overseas but a bike is a bike no matter where it is made as long as it is quality

I dont feel any sworrow for them because it dosent even seem like a big effort is being made to get there DH/FR bikes out there like I see in trek and other companys

Feb 7, 2007
i hate to burst the bubble for some people but for the 2008 cannondale lineup there are going to be a few low end bikes that will be made in china. from what i heard.

you are right all the way. a bike is a bike no matter where it is made. i just hope that the people that make them have quality over quanity in there heads. not the other way around.

as far as cedric leaving. he was basicly let go by cannondale due to the fact they could not pay him. also he did not have any input on the judge frame. he only tested and raced the final design. i read this in a interview will CG. i am tring to research and find it now. if you want to hear it straight from his mounth. do some research on his site's forum. check around the first few months after he signed with commencal. he talkes about cannondale and the judge.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Why is everyone commenting about there price...It in the same range as every other companies high end Dh bike...I've raced on an 05 gemini DH for the past few years and have had no problems with it. Most people that are going to be buying a high end bike that actually need it are expecting to pay in that price range unless they can get stuff at cost. I give props to C'dale for not outsourcing like most companies...cheap labor( it shows in the welds).
With cannondales reputation I would think they dont need to get there bikes out there or have a gracia racing for them...You already know its going to be an awesome bike. I would hope people research about bikes rather than go by what the top riders are racing on. Keep in mind if something goes wrong for them they get a new bike or new parts on the spot.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
If Cannondale wants to sell that design they need to price it like similar designs - ie AS-X.
Cannondale sells the Perp as a frameset for $1800. The AS-X is $1300. The Perp is made in the USA, has better leverage ratio, factory designed floater, and better angles.

For $1800 you get a pretty darn good frame. The only downside is the shock could be better but oh well.

I'll be replacing my AS-X with a Perp in the very near future.

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
Why is everyone commenting about there price...It in the same range as every other companies high end Dh bike...I've raced on an 05 gemini DH for the past few years and have had no problems with it. Most people that are going to be buying a high end bike that actually need it are expecting to pay in that price range unless they can get stuff at cost. I give props to C'dale for not outsourcing like most companies...cheap labor( it shows in the welds).
With cannondales reputation I would think they dont need to get there bikes out there or have a gracia racing for them...You already know its going to be an awesome bike. I would hope people research about bikes rather than go by what the top riders are racing on. Keep in mind if something goes wrong for them they get a new bike or new parts on the spot.
Cedric is a perfect example of this, when he was riding for c-dale everyone wanted a gemini and now he rides for commencal every one wants one of those. like I said before a bike is a bike thats a bike. no matter where it is made, take Iron Horse of example, we all know the Sunday is a awesome bike but it is made over seas BUT it is a good quality product so it should not matter where it is made as long as you can kick ass on it

TommyT

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
my buddy is up to 11 cracks on his new judge frame just from riding whistler for a season.....sounds pretty ridicolous to me but maybe hes just incredible hack?

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
thats why I dont look to MTBR or any where for mass bike reviews because everybody is so different you cant really get a accurate preduction by reading radom peoples reviews

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
$6000 USD

$6300 for a Demo 8, give me a break.
So as a specialized dealer, you know that what they publish is their MAX price, with leeway to shops to sell a little lower.....most likely more like 6K

I don't get why the judge is okay at this price but the top of the line demo 8 isn't.

It's not cheap, but what's the difference between the two brands that one is great and the other isn't? I'm just as bummed as anyone that spec isn't the cheap bike co it used to be......but the bikes are every bit as good as anything made these days.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I was mostly just disappointed to see such a price jump from last years price. $4400 for a 2007 Demo 7 II, for 2008 its $5700. Thats quite a MAX price. Ive had a chance to ride a Demo and it was great for big hits, but it sucks when it comes to pedaling. Thats just my opinion.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
$6k for a complete DH bike? I hope there will be other price points.

I mean..sure the top of the line Sunday had a $6k price tag, but at least there were cheaper options. $6k just to get a DH bike to hit 40lbs? Fack that!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I was mostly just disappointed to see such a price jump from last years price. $4400 for a 2007 Demo 7 II, for 2008 its $5700. Thats quite a MAX price. Ive had a chance to ride a Demo and it was great for big hits, but it sucks when it comes to pedaling. Thats just my opinion.
The days of specialized making their top end bikes cheap is over unfortunately. Been headed that way for a while though. At least the bikes are made better.

The new demos have a 'sweet spot' for sag. Not quite as pronounced as a vpp but it's there. If you're not in it, it pedals like ass. Took me hours to get it setup right.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
I think its funny how marketing/sponsorships work (aka: cedric/cannondale and everyone wanting a gemini when he was riding for them). Its too bad sam/iron horse get so much flack cuz it really isn't warrented, other than they are aaaaalways talked about and people get sick of that. fact 1, sam hill is rediculously fast and probably best dh rider right now; fact 2, the Sunday is a rediculously good dh bike.

Also, no fear still sells a ton of mx gear, so yes mx riders are still buying no fear.

This had almost nothing to do with cannondale, for that I apologize:brows: