Quantcast

Why the F aren't tires splined??

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I mean really, those things are way too easy to get on an off...I wish they were harder.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
what do you mean they arent splined? are you telling me that i paid an extra 100 bucks a tire for no reason?

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
some tires are splined. ever notice the little ribbing on the tire just above the bead on many tires. that is a traction spline. :p

oh by the way the tire is some tihng the hardest thing to change. mich. on a matrix rim(you know the old good rims). this combo is almost impossible to get on and off!!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sir_Crackien said:
some tires are splined. ever notice the little ribbing on the tire just above the bead on many tires. that is a traction spline. :p

oh by the way the tire is some tihng the hardest thing to change. mich. on a matrix rim(you know the old good rims). this combo is almost impossible to get on and off!!

Yes, but I think you are missing the point that it could be even harder, and I'd vote for that.

Blurtlefickle!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
In absense of splined tires, the solution is simple, we will buy burley 24" tires and stretch them to fit on our 26" rims.

Why?

Why did we go to the moon? Why did we invent the internet? I DONT KNOW, but I do KNOW that we must make tires HARDER TO GET OFF.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
ever break a steel tire lever taking off a dh tire. 24x3.0" arrows on sun double wide. we ended up cutting the rim(taco'd) to get the damn thing off!!!!

the hardness of getting of the tire has to do with the rim tire combo

peace

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
zedro said:
yes, just bigger. Oh and next time just saw through the whole rim, that'll releve the tension of the tire bead

yes yes, but gigantic SPLINED HUBS

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
zedro we did saw thought the whole rim after breaking two steel tire levers! the really big spline rim call up those people that make cast magnesium bike wheel. you know the ones that made the first that i know of 6 pistion brake. they use to only make their brakes in red.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sir_Crackien said:
zedro we did saw thought the whole rim after breaking two steel tire levers! the really big spline rim call up those people that make cast magnesium bike wheel. you know the ones that made the first that i know of 6 pistion brake. they use to only make their brakes in red.
Dude, I love how that makes no sense!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Please tune in tomorrow when we discuss such subjects as:

Why can't we have bolt-on tires?

and

Why can't micro-ratchets be used instead of spokes?

Sir_Crackien said:

I think one of theee worst combination tyre/rim is a Sun Ryno Lite and WTB anything folding. Oh man! :evil: :mumble:

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
...........what if you applied SPD/ clipless technology to your saddle? Then you wouldn't need to ziptie pieces of tire to maintain traction while seated during the hairiest of rides?.!!! Affix the cleats to your baggies/ spandex & off you go........(or maybe NOT off....depends on the engagement system :devil: ) :D

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Sir_Crackien said:
dood those were the worst thing ever! I would rather change dh tires with my bare hands that do that ****, thank god those days are over :nuts: :dead: :eviltongu

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
hell, no! rhynos are easy. the mostest evil rim is the tioga factory dh - i'm sure they're measurably larger in diameter. try mounting michelins on them. plastic levers are useless. the only thing that makes the job *somewhat* managable are my 8" steel park levers.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You should try the new Nicolai tires. The cnc work is amazing, and the speedholes are actually functional.