Quantcast

why no derailleur hanger standard?

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
why isn't there one?

Nately27 and I were dicussing this: most bikes have different derailleur hangers and can range in price from 20-50$. Such a simple piece to produce shouldn't cost more then a couple bucks. So why hasn't anyone pushed for a standard? www.derailleurhanger.com charges 22$ for my derailleur hanger - I might as well use the lab at school and make one myself

discuss

-MV

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I would imagine that it is easier for the hangar to be designed around the frame, than for the frame to be designed around the hangar. I would not want my frame compromised in any way, just so it could fit a 'standard' hangar that would still probably cost $15. But honestly, I dunno.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
there is some interchagability, especially since it can be ordered as a standard Taiwan catalogue part. But for whatever reasons designs need to change, even for a given manufacturer.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
damn man that is way to much for hangers. i think i paid like 12 $ for my sgs hangers and there 21 there. dude just go to your shop and buy them lol. ohh and about the standard the reason they dont do it is cause manufactures design the hangers and well frames dont have a standard so the hangers dont have a standard since the hangers are designed around the frame.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Giant's hangers are becoming more and more standard on frames. But in DH many companies feel the need for a burlier hanger. Also many of the small boutique companies that are making very unique frames can't easily fit a standard hanger on to what they have. And since it is such an inexpensive part I really don't think there is a need for an industry wide standard on it.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I love the Hangers on my Sinister R9 and MX. They are like 8 mil thick, and the 12mm TA passes through them. They make great keychains too!

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
When I go to the lbs and buy specialized hangers they only charge me around $11. They are $22 on that site. Buying through the bike shop is probably your best bet or just trying straight from the manufacturer.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
And then you have frames that use adjustable/removeable dropouts. I'm guessing it would be tough to design that around a standard der. hanger.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
a deraileur hanger is a very small piece(physicaly) which can be incorprated into a light or heavy/burly design. If a BB,headtube,brake mounts,dropout sizes...(etc) can be standardized, so could a derailleur hanger. In fact, most parts on a bike that 'go togather' or 'connect other parts' are indeed standardized. For those people who own a bike outside of the large companies(trek,specialized, giant, etc) it is harder to obtain a hanger - especially at an LBS. This leaves either contacting the manufacturer, or ordering online.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
MikeT said:
a deraileur hanger is a very small piece(physicaly) which can be incorprated into a light or heavy/burly design. If a BB,headtube,brake mounts,dropout sizes...(etc) can be standardized, so could a derailleur hanger. In fact, most parts on a bike that 'go togather' or 'connect other parts' are indeed standardized. For those people who own a bike outside of the large companies(trek,specialized, giant, etc) it is harder to obtain a hanger - especially at an LBS. This leaves either contacting the manufacturer, or ordering online.
If you look at the chainstays of many boutique DH bikes or even some large company's DH bikes there is just no feasible way to mount a standard derailleur hanger. And if you have a bike like this the company usually includes an extra hanger with the frame.

Nately27

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
bballe336 said:
If you look at the chainstays of many boutique DH bikes or even some large company's DH bikes there is just no feasible way to mount a standard derailleur hanger. And if you have a bike like this the company usually includes an extra hanger with the frame.
Some frames though are quite similar, such as MikeT's IH and my Kona are nearly identical except for a small difference in the pocket cutout for the frame. While all frames wouldnt necessarily need to use a standard, such as those trying to accomplish a unique design, it would be nice if there were some "standard" for the many number of frames which use similar dropouts.

And I think I was ripped off, because my LBS charged me 19bucks for the kona hanger.

We were also thinking it would be nice if derailleurs were rebuildable, so bent or broken parts could be replaced without scrapping the whole thing. Any ideas on why is this not done more?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Nately27 said:
Some frames though are quite similar, such as MikeT's IH and my Kona are nearly identical except for a small difference in the pocket cutout for the frame. While all frames wouldnt necessarily need to use a standard, such as those trying to accomplish a unique design, it would be nice if there were some "standard" for the many number of frames which use similar dropouts.

And I think I was ripped off, because my LBS charged me 19bucks for the kona hanger.

We were also thinking it would be nice if derailleurs were rebuildable, so bent or broken parts could be replaced without scrapping the whole thing. Any ideas on why is this not done more?
If I am not mistake the kona stinky, coiler, and similar bikes use the Giant Warp derailleur hanger. Those are about 11 dollars retail. So yeah you got ripped.

And sram makes rebuildable derailleurs. Well only the X.0. the main reason why it isn't done more is that it is expensive to make all the parts exchangeable.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
a little fabrication in the lab leads to....

origninal on left, new one on right

'cause thats how I roll suckah' :weee:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I try to standardize as many as I can for the things that I work on. All of the Iron Horse full suspension bikes that use a 10mm hub use the same hanger, one I designed about 5 years ago now. Do the FEA once and its done, plus it makes it easy for customers to get the part that they need. Sometimes, different bikes require different hangers. What works for a 12mm TA wont always work for a 10mm QR.

Dave

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
Nately27 said:
I know it's a little off topic but... to answer your question:

Derailleurs are rebuildable to a certian extent, but not the main paralellogram that houses the main spring. I can think of a few reasons: 1) to make more of these parts is not cost-conscious (when you could be making full derailleurs instead, or use that production time to run something else), 2) It makes for more inventory that manufactures/distributors would like to do without, and 3) the time it takes for a mechanic to rebuild a full derailleur is also cost-prohibitive (sort of like rebuilding STI shifters - you just sell the customer a new one becuase of cost vs. time).

If you can ever find replacement main body springs, [I think] Park Tool makes a tool to re-install it.