Quantcast

why isnt mountainbiking popular?

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
ok this is something i have never gotten over, have you ever noticed how on tv you hardly ever see anything on mountainbiking? there's only a few mtn bike games available, but yet look how many tony hawk games there are, there is a channel on TV, dedicated to only golf...GOLF!? of all the things anyone could watch on tv, bloody golf!? but how come dh/fr/slopestyle etc. one of the most adrenaline pumping sports/activities you could partake in, but yet it seems like only 1/4th of the population has never heard of it? but yet everyone knows what base jumping is, skydiving, etc. dont get me wrong, watching slopestyle on X-games was SICK! but why isn't there more media around it? i live in Portland Oregon, possibly top 5 for mtn biking, but yet I NEVER hear anything in the papers, or on the news, not to mention we have the biggest biking city in America...

does anyone else feel this way? i wanna be able to turn the TV on and watch guys ride down trails, hit jumps, fly, and just ride bikes, even if its a show where its all types of biking i would not mind waiting for the good stuff...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

<edit>
The only bikers loved in Portland are fixies and if you make them put a brake on their bike, there will be hell to pay. If Portland was as "bike friendly" as everyone seems to think, why are there only a few good trails (I use the term "good" loosely) in Forest Park? Anyone who has poached trails or ridden illegal trails in Forest Park will tell you that there is a ton of potential for some sick trails up there and nobody builds a better trail than NWTA.

Besides, mountain biking isn't nearly as exciting to watch as golf on tv.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Watching mt biking is f**king BORING.

Playing mt bike video games is f**king BORING.

In the end, though... kill your TV. You'll find yourself asking way fewer questions regarding the dumb $hit people choose to watch.

Oh - and if you *really* want to watch that $hit - just order any of the thousands of mt bike videos available.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am having a tough time envisioning a mountain bike video game. What would you do in this game? Is the a Move controller or something? I have played the bike games on the Wii and they are pretty awful. So I am not sure how that would work on another system.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater is bad ass, though.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Recently my doctor lost his hearing and had to eventually get hearing aids. I asked him if there was anything that just wasn't worth hearing and he said he was much happier when he couldn't listen to the news on TV.

Might I suggest you spend more time in the woods and less in front of the idiot box ?

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
you guys got me wrong, i ride everyday/as much as possible! Ive done skateboarding, bmx, rollerblade, basketball, hockey, scooter, etc. and so far, to me, mountain biking is above all, the funniest thing ever! i actually have watched about 2 hrs of TV in the last 6 months...I'm not asking for TV episodes, what i mean is watch a season of "life behind bars" with Brandon Seminuk. what im asking is why isn't that in MTV, instead of little 14 yr old's getting pregnant! watching Brandon and other riders tear it up is a lot more exciting than hearing a girl bitch at boyfriend, or a golf announcer talking about his experience with other bull**** in his life! i live for riding! i ride all day! every type of riding! forest park blows for biking, the nearest place to ride is mt hood, which in my mind is ridiculous since we are THE biking city! BUT WHATEVER! i guess people aren't as passionate about riding as much as i am...

Last edited:

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
so when i cant ride (rain, injury, dark out) i can turn on a channel and watch FR DH and not have to scroll through dozens of pinkbike videos sitting at a desk in a wooden chair. basically i was jumping my bike at the park, i brought my plastic skateboard ramp to improvise jumps. my friends mom was walking her dog and was watching me jump. she said i was getting lots of air and i said it takes the right bike to do this and she looked at my bike and had no idea what separated mine, from a $60 walmart bike. and the thing is, is all my friends are like that too..."HOW MUCH DID THAT BIKE COST? I COULD BUY A BIKE LIKE THAT AT TARGET FOR $100!" im tired of people being ignorant and, at the same time i want to share the mtn bike experience with them, so more people will keep the sport alive...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
you guys got me wrong, i ride everyday/as much as possible! Ive done skateboarding, bmx, rollerblade, basketball, hockey, scooter, etc. and so far, to me, mountain biking is above all, the funniest thing ever! i actually have watched about 2 hrs of TV in the last 6 months...I'm not asking for TV episodes, what i mean is watch a season of "life behind bars" with Brandon Seminuk. what im asking is why isn't that in MTV, instead of little 14 yr old's getting pregnant! watching Brandon and other riders tear it up is a lot more exciting than hearing a girl bitch at boyfriend, or a golf announcer talking about his experience with other bull**** in his life! i live for riding! i ride all day! every type of riding! forest park blows for biking, the nearest place to ride is mt hood, which in my mind is ridiculous since we are THE biking city! BUT WHATEVER! i guess people aren't as passionate about riding as much as i am...
You've not been on this planet long, have ya? :rofl:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
so when i cant ride (rain, injury, dark out) i can turn on a channel and watch FR DH and not have to scroll through dozens of pinkbike videos sitting at a desk in a wooden chair. basically i was jumping my bike at the park, i brought my plastic skateboard ramp to improvise jumps. my friends mom was walking her dog and was watching me jump. she said i was getting lots of air and i said it takes the right bike to do this and she looked at my bike and had no idea what separated mine, from a $60 walmart bike. and the thing is, is all my friends are like that too..."HOW MUCH DID THAT BIKE COST? I COULD BUY A BIKE LIKE THAT AT TARGET FOR $100!" im tired of people being ignorant and, at the same time i want to share the mtn bike experience with them, so more people will keep the sport alive...
Dude - you gotta enter the 21st century... :think:

You do realize there are a dozen ways to watch internet content on your TV, right?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Like 26" wheels and Senator Cruz, mountain biking is circling the drain towards obscurity and irrelevance. But just as dinosaurs evolved into birds, mountain biking is transforming into Enduro biking with 650b wheels. All is not lost.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You do realize it's ridemonkey where the infinite loop of irony and contrarism means that every few weeks most of the forum thinks biking should be hidden from the world and we should only ride our bikes in salt mines to then suddenly change their minds and push for dh as an olimpic sport. Being unpopular on the interwebz is hard.

tubs26

Chimp
May 12, 2011
ive tried meet up but everytime they ride, they want to meet up 2 hrs away minimum...then charge you $60...i dont have a car and I'm broke.