Quantcast

Why does my bike weigh 40lbs? And lots of pics!

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
After seeing some of the builds on here I feel like I'm being cheated by physics. Most people will guess first sight that my bike would be in the 36-ish lb range but several scales have given me a high 39 measure. What's so heavy on it?

I don't have an bike vanity portrait shots so I'm going to use this as an excuse to post up ride shots! :D

And here's one to feed the trolls :eek:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
If you want to know what's heavy put your parts spec on there. Race face diabolus cranks, if that's what you have on there are heavy too.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
my scythe is 38.5 lbs with a durable build, didnt go for weight weenie..

40lbs is good, the scythes are durable frames.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
that belly flop pic is epic, haven't i seen you on mtbr?
Post there too every now and then. First to spot the quirk in that pic gets a million points!

If you want to know what's heavy put your parts spec on there. Race face diabolus cranks, if that's what you have on there are heavy too.
Banshee Scythe w/ DHX 5, 300lb spring
Totem 2-step 1.5" steerer
Chris King headset
Syncros 31" handlebar cut to 28.5" (mechanic error:mad:)
XT Brakes
X9 Drivetrain
XT Cranks
Straitline Pedals
Truvativ Hussa-something stem (kinda heavy)
8" rotor on the front and 6" in the rear.
Some Shimano Sprocket
Banshee seat post
Some old road Fizik saddle that won't die

Wheels:
I9 hubs laced to a Mavic 729 on the rear and a Syncros DS28 on the front
Dual Ply 2.5 minion on the front w/ XC tube
Single ply nevegal on the rear 2.3, with DH tube.
DT swiss comp spokes w/ brass nipples

Upgraded to Maxle Lite's front and back, that are both still in one piece.

my scythe is 38.5 lbs with a durable build, didnt go for weight weenie..

40lbs is good, the scythes are durable frames.
Mine's held up very well too. A year old and still doing very well. Some slight issues with some bolts but most likely user error.

Less than impressed with CK headset though. I wish I found another 1.5" headset before turning to them.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
heavy:

ck headset
straitline pedals
stem
possibly cranks, what are they?
dh tube <- lol, they are useless
dt swiss comps

there you go, you could shave off at least a kg or more by replacing the parts above with lighter stuff.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Post there too every now and then. First to spot the quirk in that pic gets a million points!

No idea why your bike is heavy other than ditch the DH tubes, but I am after the million points.

Is it that your bike is flying backwards away from you?

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
the picture has been rotated 90 degrees and you are in fact clinging on a cliff face for your life and your bike is falling to the bottom ;)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Give us the FULL build. No wonder it's heavy if you look at only a part of it ;)

Straitlines are heavy but are not the only culprit - your frame and fork are lighter than mine yet somehow my bike is noticably heavier.

My guess is:
-Cranks
-Seat
-DH tube
-Stem

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
No the CK 1.5 headset is a boat anchor. Better off with a Cane Creek.
Straightlines are heavy. Go DH 2ply tires with regular tubes.
Your fork and 1.5 setup is heavy.
I dont know about the CK headset being a boat anchor, although the new CC's are feathers, but 1.5 forks are lighter than 1.125's - check the pamphlet...

redride

Monkey
Sep 23, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
ditch DH tubes an re-weigh! fastest and cheapest remedy! I'm using regular 2.1" xc tubes on my Legend. then the cranks. 729s r heavy too.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Give us the FULL build. No wonder it's heavy if you look at only a part of it
What am I missing? :D

It might be the Totem, 2 pounds of stickers?

Cranks are 09 (?) XT guys. So that's a weight saver right there! I can't let go of the DH tube on the back, I still get pinches at 35psi upwards. I'm going to move my DHF to the back and put a new one on the front though. I'll see about putting an XC tube in it, but if I do I think I'll have the same weight as a single ply tire with an DH tube.

The 729 is heavy but I don't really feel like letting it go till it breaks like it's parter, and ano blue makes my bike 10% faster. Are XT brakes heavy? I don't know how they compare with the new stuff today. They are first generation servo's.

Since I'm going to be running 2 dual ply's, what does the board think about ghetto tubeless? I tend to run higher pressures anyway (30+psi) by preference and I'm only 150lbs.

Edit: 729 has a few dents but no flat spots. DS28 is still perfectly true and dentless after a year of hard riding (!).

As for the picture, c'mon guys I know you're better than this! I feel like giving it up already. :D

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
ghetto tubeless is good idea.. could save up at least 500-700gram for both wheels.

run singleply tires with ghetto mod as you find in bullcrews thread

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
ghetto tubeless is good idea.. could save up at least 500-700gram for both wheels.

run singleply tires with ghetto mod as you find in bullcrews thread
That much weight lost at the wheel would make a huge difference. Still skeptical about tubeless and single ply though. I'll try it with dual ply first. I get 90% of my pinches while cornering so I figure I'm a good candidate for burping.

Will ghetto tubeless still work if my rim has small-medium sized dents?

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
That much weight lost at the wheel would make a huge difference. Still skeptical about tubeless and single ply though. I'll try it with dual ply first. I get 90% of my pinches while cornering so I figure I'm a good candidate for burping.

Will ghetto tubeless still work if my rim has small-medium sized dents?
I suggest you to read the whole thread

you'll be surprised that it works. sealant fixes pinches ;) ghetto mod helps to prevent burps. There is always exceptions. Feel free to experiment.

for front i run singleply and rear - dualply on UST rims without ghetto mod. With ghetto, it is possible to run both single ply without worrying about burp.

Im gonna test 521EX and crap DMR tires (singleply) with the ghetto mod (for dirt bike) :thumb:

Stripped 20" tube seals to tire so slight dents of rim might dont make a difference.

Last edited:

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
Is the rider photoshopped in on the belly flop pic?

How much does that Banshee seatpost weigh?

Scythe is not a light frame...durable yes!

Pslide wins! :weee:

Banshee seat post isn't on the light side but the interface is really nice. Like a beefier Thompson. Hard to justify replacing it. I'm assuming I'd save around 50grams max?

I suggest you to read the whole thread

you'll be surprised that it works. sealant fixes pinches ghetto mod helps to prevent burps. There is always exceptions. Feel free to experiment.

for front i run singleply and rear - dualply on UST rims without ghetto mod. With ghetto, it is possible to run both single ply without worrying about burp.

Im gonna test 521EX and crap DMR tires (singleply) with the ghetto mod (for dirt bike)

Stripped 20" tube seals to tire so slight dents of rim might dont make a difference.
Will read through...thanks!

Who cares. Doesn't seem like it's holdin' you back!!

SHRED ON!!
That's what I want to hear! But the Scythe rides a bit heavy compared to a lot of DH bikes I've tried (Glory's, Sessions, etc.), and I think there's a lot of room for improvement. Scythe has DHX 5 on it and perhaps someone would know if I could get the bike to be more lively with a more adjustable shock.

Even though it's taken almost a year to get comfortable with this bike as compared to a few months on my old ASX and a few weeks on my ex-575, I'm still have a blast on this thing!

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
You'll have a tough time loosing weight...Especially if you don't want to replace things. if the 729's are the rebadged old 321's (which I think they are) then yes, that is a heavy ass wheel which is noticable when riding. If you go from Nevgals to Minions, you'll gain weight especially if its from 1 to 2 ply. You might break even with the tube change depending on the type of DH tube you are running.

Pedals are cheap (relatively) and you could always throw a Ti spring on there but you will find that coming up with 453 grams worth of savings (1lb) is tough and expensive. You can do it but you have to replace a lot of things vs 1 or 2 items. Use Sickline's website for weight comparisons. He has a whole page page of components and actual weights...he doesn't have everything but it is a nice reference.
http://www.sicklines.com/weights/

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey

Scythe has DHX 5 on it and perhaps someone would know if I could get the bike to be more lively with a more adjustable shock.
Sweet, got me a million points!

My limited personal experience is that the DHX 5.0 is actually more "lively" than the latest generation shocks. Bit more harshness though, and less damping in the mid-stroke.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007

Banshee Scythe w/ DHX 5, 300lb spring
Totem 2-step 1.5" steerer
Chris King headset
Syncros 31" handlebar cut to 28.5" (mechanic error:mad:)
XT Brakes
X9 Drivetrain
XT Cranks
Straitline Pedals
Truvativ Hussa-something stem (kinda heavy)
8" rotor on the front and 6" in the rear.
Some Shimano Sprocket
Banshee seat post
Some old road Fizik saddle that won't die

Wheels:
I9 hubs laced to a Mavic 729 on the rear and a Syncros DS28 on the front
Dual Ply 2.5 minion on the front w/ XC tube
Single ply nevegal on the rear 2.3, with DH tube.
DT swiss comp spokes w/ brass nipples

Upgraded to Maxle Lite's front and back, that are both still in one piece.

Mine's held up very well too. A year old and still doing very well. Some slight issues with some bolts but most likely user error.

Less than impressed with CK headset though. I wish I found another 1.5" headset before turning to them.
If you want to go crazy light then here are some options

Fox float 180
Minion dhf 2.5 exo or schwalbe muddy mary/wicked will FR tires
standard tubes
thomson 1.5 stem
cane creek xx headset
formula "the one" brakes
Thomson masterpiece seatpost
wtb devo carbon ti or wtb silverado ti saddle
xtr cassette
twenty6 prerunner ti or po1nt podium pedals
Titanium coil

These would easily drop it to the 34-36lb range

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
If you want to go crazy light then here are some options

Fox float 180
Minion dhf 2.5 exo or schwalbe muddy mary/wicked will FR tires
standard tubes
thomson 1.5 stem
cane creek xx headset
formula "the one" brakes
Thomson masterpiece seatpost
wtb devo carbon ti or wtb silverado ti saddle
xtr cassette
twenty6 prerunner ti or po1nt podium pedals
Titanium coil

These would easily drop it to the 34-36lb range
Might as well add raceface carbon SEX cranks to that list!

I barely missed out on a set of podiums too... :mad:

Do these mythical 2.5 Exxo 3C tires really exist? I'm hearing that there are actually several kinds of 3C now and Exxo's get the harder kind. I hope they'd hook up as well as 42a's. Just put some new ones on the front and they are just incredible! Gotta love fresh knobs.

Caption attempt: Failed 150ft step up jump?

Just kidding Pslide, you've gotta give up the million points for Arkayne :D

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
Might as well add raceface carbon SEX cranks to that list!

I barely missed out on a set of podiums too... :mad:

Do these mythical 2.5 Exxo 3C tires really exist? I'm hearing that there are actually several kinds of 3C now and Exxo's get the harder kind. I hope they'd hook up as well as 42a's. Just put some new ones on the front and they are just incredible! Gotta love fresh knobs.

Caption attempt: Failed 150ft step up jump?

Just kidding Pslide, you've gotta give up the million points for Arkayne :D
They exist, and yes they have a different mix of rubbers, don't remember what exactly.

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada

Banshee seat post isn't on the light side but the interface is really nice. Like a beefier Thompson. Hard to justify replacing it. I'm assuming I'd save around 50grams max?

Will read through...thanks!

That's what I want to hear! But the Scythe rides a bit heavy compared to a lot of DH bikes I've tried (Glory's, Sessions, etc.), and I think there's a lot of room for improvement. Scythe has DHX 5 on it and perhaps someone would know if I could get the bike to be more lively with a more adjustable shock.

Even though it's taken almost a year to get comfortable with this bike as compared to a few months on my old ASX and a few weeks on my ex-575, I'm still have a blast on this thing!
If you are looking to make the shock run better you could always send it to PUSH to have it tuned (or Avy but they are still in Pre Order)

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
Banshee seat post is lighter than the Thomson Elite, but not quite as light as the Thomson Masterpiece. Either way the weight savings there are minimal compared to DH tubes and tire options.