Quantcast

Why are there no full DH casings with kevlar beads?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I actually saved 100g over my old one and performance seems similar so far, that was the whole point of this thread (i.e. bead material doesn't really affect performance but casing does).

Luckily for me, the matching (except full DH casing) rear I bought was a ludicrous 140g over their claimed weight, so I gained back my saving in a very roundabout way.
WTF Schwalbe. Thanks for nothing. :(
What did I just say?! :P

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Wouldn't use one on the rear, but works well on the front and isn't particularly light for whatever it's worth (1140g, only ~150g off full DH casing weight). I'm pretty sure it actually is the closest thing you can get to a full DH casing with a kevlar bead.
The Michelin Wild Rock'r 2 is up there too, and a phenomenal tread pattern. They only make a 2.35 (big 2.35, more like a Maxxis 2.5), which comes in at about 1000g in a 26". Again, wouldn't run one on the rear of a DH bike, but I bet they'd work well up front.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
In the time it took to write all these posts, you could have been doing pushups... and that 100g would mean nothing to you... except weight in your wallet :P

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Ran SuperGravity Magic Mary VertStar Front / TrailStar Rear for the last two years.
I can not remember the exact weights, but both were under 1100 grams.
Not had a problem with them, except for the frustratingly normal base of the rear side knobs tearing.

Going to Michi Wild RockR2 for this year - hoping for the same type of results - minus the tearing.