Quantcast

Whos running a leatt brace ,and how are they with armor

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
You mean, run the leatt without body armour, sure. No worries.

EVS update- it pretty well sucks.

Leatt club- worlds above.

Adventure- anyone know where the plates are yet?
You're talking about the EVS Evolution Neck Brace Race Collar right? Why does it suck? I was thinking about getting one of these.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
You're talking about the EVS Evolution Neck Brace Race Collar right? Why does it suck? I was thinking about getting one of these.
I stopped in at my local MX shop and spent some time talking with them about leatts. They had the $180 EVS, which they all said was absolute garbage. They "wouldn't even trust their dog wearing it." They didn't give many tech specifics why, but looking at it in comparison to a Leatt Club, you can really see a difference in quality. Since I go in there regularly enough to feel familiar, I trusted them enough to take their word for it instead of suspecting 'salesmenship at work.'

The general concencus was to go with the $395 club; you really want the height adjustment that isn't available on the Adventure for a hundred less.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Its basically a donut holder. And a poor one at that. The donut moves around all the time, is too close to your neck and gets very hot. The straps are poorly designed and take too long to fit. The shoulder cups didn't fit right even though it was ment to be the right size.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I am thinking Leatt, but as an enormous person who is accustomed to hard to find fits for clothes, helmets, armore, bikes.... . . . . . . . . . I expect I may run into some fit issues.

My main concern is that I have a long neck, and despite bulk, am thin. My SPECIFIC concern is the distance from the bottom/base of the helmet and the bolsters on the Leatt - that the distance may be too great for the brace to be effective. The combination of a large head that makes my helmet sit high with a long neck and.......

I am a decent rider, no mega-ripper or trixter, but ride almost anything and HAVE fractured my neck in an MTB accident (re-fractured vertebrae done in a major car wreck long ago) so am inclined to get one of these if I can make it fit...

Comments? FYI - 6'8" 230lbs (as low as 215, as much as 260 on occasion) BIG frikkin head (Both 8-1/4, oval, and tall)