Quantcast

Who hear has head head injuries, and what do you do to come back?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
So this past Monday, I blew up pretty bad at one of our local training spots and recieved a pretty severe concussion. In a few words, it was the worst possible crash, in the worst possible spot of our entire trail. I in turn flew face first into a creek crossing and I smashed my face pretty hard on my mouth gaurd. Minus all the blood and scratches, I couldn't remember anything for the longest time. But to the present, I've been off my bike since, taking it really easy because TV and computer make my head hurt. I can't seem to get the crash out of my mind due to the strangeness of it. What do you guys do to get some confidence back and feel confortable again? I haven't gone to the ER or anything but my father is a physician and said I should stay off until my head feels 100% aka a few weeks. I was thinking getting back in doing XC stuff would be solid but I just don't know. It sucks because this is right in the middle of the season, but any advice you guys can give would be much appreciated.

BTW, dont EVER take tyres from factory tents at night, BAD BAD kharma will ensue. (This is an entire story in itself). Don't hold the title spelling against me, I couldn't remember my own birthday till the next day.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Work through it. I had broken 3 ribs, and I stopped riding for 2 years. At this point, ANY time in the saddle is good. even if its just tooling around the back yard, or the neighborhood...

Point is any and all saddle time you can, building back up gradually. This is just to build confidence in the bike and yourself.

the other thing is, don't, or try not to dwell on the crash as best you can. When you do, start to think of a time when you pinned a section or a race, and focus on that instead...

Just some thoughts.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
My younger brother just had this happen to him 3 weeks ago. He was riding trying to jump things in the street and fell pretty hard. I guess when the ambulance got there he was knocked out and didn't know where he was. He got to the hospital, they did some scans and held him for a couple days. He still doesn't remember that day, or before but remembers parts of what happened.

They told him nothing that could cause a head injury for 4-6 weeks. He's 15 (dunno if that has anything to do with it) but he seems ok now. If he is going to do anything it's going to be with the proper head protection. He was wearing a skate style helmet and no one knows if it fell off or if he even had it buckled.

Take it easy, I wouldn't ride until I felt normal again. Hell I wouldn't do too much of anything until things felt normal. It's your head, not your knee, or ankle, or hand we're talking about. Take it easy, things will get better in a few weeks, and off you go again!

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
you mean you are having replays of your crash from lke 3rd person, or just remembering what happened?

whenever that happens, and i'm out for a few days, when i'm feeling 100 percent better i'm at 99..i watch a few riding vids, and then take it easy for a week or two..then i take off from wher ei was at, one thing scares the crap out of you, but its something abuot our sport that keeps alot of people out of it..don't stop, just get over, grab your balls and go..thats what it takes sometimes i guess.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
If you start to experience blurred vision, vomiting, or dizziness, get your ass to the E.R. asap.

Sounds like you really got your eggs scrambled - but from from what you've said about your symptoms, you should be O.K.

Just to be on the safe side I'd ask your Dad to hook you up with a CT/MRI/CAT scan work-up to see exactly what is going on in there. Ya only get one brain, and Factory crash replacements are kinda hard to come by.

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder
...last time I rattled my brain hard enough to get blurred vision i couldn't remember the crash...so I was alright...

biker3

Turbo Monkey
OGRipper said:
Just take it slow. And don't steal anything from anyone, but especially not bike parts from bike people. Sounds like you got off lucky, dumbass.
Cool, most excellent analysis of a situation you were neither present for or have been informed about. I'll let it slide if you just upped your dose of STACCKKKKERRRRR @2222, ya meathead.

EuroNewbie

Chimp
May 14, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Take it easy, don't rush it. My last concusion I thought I was alright to ride the next day but found out I was not. Blurry vision, off balance I ended up wiping out even worse and fractured two vertebra in my neck. I'd make sure you are 100% before doing anything more than riding around in the back yard.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
biker3 said:
Cool, most excellent analysis of a situation you were neither present for or have been informed about. I'll let it slide if you just upped your dose of STACCKKKKERRRRR @2222, ya meathead.
True enough, I don't know what happened. So, what did you do to bring on bad karma?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Talk to ThePriceSeliger. Something like that least. That kid has hit his mellon more times than he can remember. Whether that is due to the sheer number of times or the memory loss he has suffered we may never know.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
I had a very bad crash several years ago.. It knocked me senseless :looney: ended up in the er by ambulance with 3 brokens ribs, a seperated left shoulder that luckily popped back in on its own, I wasn't wearing a f.f. and ended up with a hole you could stick a pencil through in my upper lip and about 45 stitches under my chin.:help:

I still don't remember anything today but the pain afterwards and getting a cool pair of socks with grippies on the bottom.:dead:

I was back on the bike in a week (casually) and back in the woods in a month... healing vibes man get back on that steed. asap

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
lovebunny said:
yeah last time i got a concussion i was out for about 4 weeks. and when oyu get back into just take it easy

Last time I got one.....I just kept riding....And puked afterwards.....I would not reccommend this BTW

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I think I have alot of knowledge on head injuries, but I ain't no doc. Stay off the bike for a month or two. I know it's racing season, but think, eating out of a tube and drooling everywhere. It's a risk not to take.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Polandspring88 said:
Talk to ThePriceSeliger. Something like that least. That kid has hit his mellon more times than he can remember. Whether that is due to the sheer number of times or the memory loss he has suffered we may never know.

I miss coma... It was so peaceful!