Quantcast

who do you think is the best in the world?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Talent for Talent right now who do you guys think is the best bike handler/ DH racer in the world. Peat, Gracia, Hill, Rennie, Atherton, Minnar? Sorry guys this thread may be lame but im really bored and Id like to see some reasoning in why you think your guys is the best?

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Id probly say Rennie.I always liked his style and hes extreme strenght on a bike and hes such a powerfull pedaller and rider.Also cause he rides for santa cruz now :heart: :D lol.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
i'd have to say gracia or minnaar....both r unbelievable riders...i'm not taking anything away from any of the other guys, but these 2 stick out in my head as being able to do pretty much anything and they always look like they r out there just having fun. for some reason it seems like gracia could win every single race and be the best in the world if he wanted to...but...is it me or does it seem like he never really takes it seriously and trys to win? hey whatever, he's fast as hell either way...serious or not.

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
MMike said:
Vouilloz.
I'll second that; the best rider no longer rides DH - there's not enough competition for him. Just look at his record. It speaks for itself. If that doesn't convince you, watch his section in New World Disorder II, he's like a robot programmed to beat humans. He's literally perfect on every course. Anyway, there is no best rider. I'd rather watch Wade Simmons flow the North Shore, even if he's not as fast as the racers.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
kail said:
I'll second that; the best rider no longer rides DH - there's not enough competition for him. Just look at his record. It speaks for itself. If that doesn't convince you, watch his section in New World Disorder II, he's like a robot programmed to beat humans. He's literally perfect on every course. Anyway, there is no best rider. I'd rather watch Wade Simmons flow the North Shore, even if he's not as fast as the racers.
http://www.freerideracing.com/movies/speedy.mpg :D

heh, I had it cut out a little while ago so I re-uploaded. Please right click/save :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
LukeD said:
i'd have to say gracia or minnaar....both r unbelievable riders...i'm not taking anything away from any of the other guys, but these 2 stick out in my head as being able to do pretty much anything and they always look like they r out there just having fun. for some reason it seems like gracia could win every single race and be the best in the world if he wanted to...but...is it me or does it seem like he never really takes it seriously and trys to win? hey whatever, he's fast as hell either way...serious or not.

well said :thumb: gracia is sick, this topic has been discussed before but he can win DH races and also take events like the redbull rampage. He just has killer style in all types of riding. I think you are right on with the fact that that he just needs more focus, he is one of the biggest partyers on the scene too

he just needs to expand his street and trick skills and he can take on the world...

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
vouillez pulls a sick little "skill" in that clip posted a few responses back... hairpin turn, he enters it, lifts up the rear wheel and kicks it out, so he rides through the turn on his front wheel, and throws his rear around in mid air..... and does it goin pretty damn fast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
biker3 said:
I knew vouillez dominated the WC back in the day but I had never seen him ride. Hes amazing. Do you guys think he could come back right now and whoop everyone? TO waht extent did he kill everyone was it all the time or was he just a top kinda guy?

thanks
he dominated.

During his 12 year career, which included ten world championship titles (3 junior, 7 elite), including this year's [article from september 2002] World's in Kaprun, and a record number of both World Cup wins and overall titles, Vouilloz asserted himself as the most successful downhill racer in the sport's history.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2002/sep02/sep15news

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
During his 12 year career, which included ten world championship titles (3 junior, 7 elite), including this year's [article from september 2002] World's in Kaprun, and a record number of both World Cup wins and overall titles, Vouilloz asserted himself as the most successful downhill racer in the sport's history.

I don't know if that last sentence is correct...the last 2 years Nico raced he was getting spanked by the likes of Minnar, Peat and Barel...to name a few...I think the last sentence in that quote should be for Ann Caroline Chausson....D

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Forget the best.. I just love to watch them all. Be it Simmons or Schley throwing themselves off cliffs and rushing down steep inclines, or Gracia, Peaty, Vouilloz, Myles and many others rippin up the race courses, it's awesome. I exported that clip a couple weeks ago to see what other videos he's in. Gonna go get me some more vids soon :D

Any of you seen the entire NWD2 vid? Watchin Myles and Nico back to back.. I'm not sure if it's just me, but Nico seems 11ty billion times faster :drool:

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
BMXman said:

I don't know if that last sentence is correct...the last 2 years Nico raced he was getting spanked by the likes of Minnar, Peat and Barel...to name a few...I think the last sentence in that quote should be for Ann Caroline Chausson....D
Spanked? Hardly. He didn't even do half the big races for the last couple of years anyway.

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
Nico was the most fun dh rider to watch. he was SUPER consistant, and didnt do tricks that would slow him down etc. He did what dh is all about imho, rode bloody fast and clean.. I loved his smooth technique and pure race style.

I think the reason he wasnt so unbeatable at the end was of two main reasons.

1, he was switching to rally racing. Which took time from riding bikes.

2, altho not old, he started getting older, and the new guys were starting to learn stuff he knew 5 years before them, when it comes to technique. Simply put people were finally catching up.

But i dont really agree with the comment about people spanking him. He was still at the top and consistant.

I miss him on the DH scene.

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
dont forget vouilloz in the last few years set up his own bike company, designed and tweaked numerous bikes, ran a team and still no one could touch him at the worlds.. the guy was a legend, and now he`s killing it in the wrc. respect.