Quantcast

Who can tell me a thing about skis

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Binding breaks.

Guess what? You can't go out and get a replacement pair of $60 bindings. You have to get a "system" part to replace it. And you can be damned sure the "system" bindings are going to cost more than $60.
Uhhmm..where are you buying bindings for $60? Most companies do a good job backing their product. Buddy of mine broke an Atomic "system" binding and they sent him a new pair free on 2+ year old skis. I've been involved in racing for a number of years and rarely see bindings break. They are designed to release under high stress scenarios which in and of itself decreases the chance of breaking significantly. As for the dislike of propriety systems..it is what it is, but I dont think bindings make or break the ride.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
dumb? it's cheaper. for the level skier i am, i know i'm not gonna be upgrading or customizing my gear. at all.

i see the parallel between camera gear...Nikon makes bodies that don't have an AF motor, but still people buy them and they take photos. :D

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Yeah, I hear ya. Though these days I dont think there is as big a discrepancy between binding mfg's and for most people it is probably the least important part of the package as far as performance goes.

I actually now ski on these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-09-Rossignol-CX80-Classic-Skis-170-cm_W0QQitemZ230581776155QQcategoryZ16062QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo=LVI&itu=UCI&otn=2&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=6945106942193021108
I thinks it's the most fun ski I've been on in years and for the east, it's a one ski quiver. They are monsters though, basically a race ski constuction in a mid fat package...you gotta be agressive on 'em to make them shine. They also have a demo like adjustable binding, which I would have frowned upon in the past, but I have no issue so far.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yeah, I hear ya. Though these days I dont think there is as big a discrepancy between binding mfg's and for most people it is probably the least important part of the package as far as performance goes.
Bindings have always been like that. If the DIN goes high enough for you, then they'll be fine. I don't like getting pigeonholed into a certain ski/binding combo, though. I transfer old bindings from one pair of skis to another until the shop tells me they can't touch 'em any more. :D

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
So are you guys saying that my old pair of Kastle skis are no longer "good"?

I did a search on Ebay and similar skis were coming up as great "Decor" for one's house.
OUCH!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
****, I had a pair of those too. Grade 6 or 7, I think...
I think mine are 190's

I've had them since um... probably about 1988 whne I was a freshman in Highschool. They were good skis though. Nice and stiff for carving high speed turns. A little too stiff for the moguls though. At least that is what I told myself was the reason I couldn't ski them for cr@p.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
My last straight skis were (are....still have them) 201's. Rossignol 7G. At 5'9" and (at the time) 130lbs....they were too stiff for me. I really had to work to bend them.

It was quite the epiphany when I got my shaped skis.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
DAYUM! Those old Elans aren't even mounted! I have an old pair of Rossignol Olympia-S 170cm and a pair of Smash-J's in 150's still in my basement unmounted. Both are like 1973 issue, still in the plastic sleeves never been mounted! Those old skis are cool if you put them up on a wall. Put a couple nails in to rest them on. Don't pound through them. I imagine the longer you hold them, they may be worth something eventually. I imagine if I submitted mine to Rossignol in brand new in store condition never been mounted, they might swap me a new pair of skis for the old one's. Some companies will pay to have them back or to mount them in their corporate hdqtrs. Mine are SO old, I couldn't even find a picture of them on Google!

But I did find this below when I googled for them!

Which I find much more interesting than skiing anyways...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You don't mean the old LOOK Turntables from the 70's?
I do indeed. They just brought them back a couple of years ago.

Only problem with them was if you got way too far back, you can end up taking the heelpiece right on an asscheek. If you're a skinny guy like me, that hurts like hell.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
skiing leads to poor fashion sense...on par with snow boarding.