Quantcast

Whiteface Bro-down showdown throwdown?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Since I'm seeing a distinct lack of whiteface news and I'm dying to hear something good....

anybody up for an endurance race at whiteface? strictly friendly and non-sanctioned, of course. Pick one trail and see who can make the most runs down it. Run it on the honor system. Start at 10am, end at 4 or 5, and just ride all day. I think it could be really fun and challenging. Then drink beer all night in any of the local campgrounds/hotels.

There was one trail (24, 23, 3, 5, 13) or something like that that was the most physically demanding trail I rode last year. My vote would be that one unless anybody has other requests.

Anybody up for it? Want to pick a weekend?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
lake placid, NY. They don't have a ton of trails and there's a distinct lack of wooden stunts (YAY, seriously) but the trails are super long and super intense.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Whiteface was the site of the 1980 winter Olympics. 2,476 feet of vertical and 27 very different trails.
Since our trails are not made out of wood some refer to these as "old school". Soil is very loamy and absorbs water like a big sponge.
We open on Friday June 22nd and have tons of stuff going on this year. 2 huge dh races (9-2-07 & 10-7-07) , womens clinic with Tara Llanes, race clinic with Fast Times Training, special discounted days (live music on 6-23-07 & an after dh party with free beer).

Whiteface Mountain is located in Wilmington N.Y. (12997) 10 miles from the village of Lake Placid, N.Y.(12946), and only 40 minutes off of interstate 87.

Also the mountain bike park is owned and operated privately by 2 downhillers.
This year we will have a pump track, dual slalom course, more wooden features, clinics, free ladies days, bike & stay packages, better x-c trails, on mountain kiosks so you can easily find everything on this very big mountain and more.

For all the information please visit:
www.downhillmike.com

Thanks and we'll see ya at the face
Downhill Mike
Whiteface Mountain
Size does matter!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Trust me, not having stunts is definately not a bad thing...i really, really like the trails at whiteface, just as they are.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
downhill mike has made that place better every year. It downfall is that it is so far away from NYC area. Platty and diablo are closer but I will be there at least twice this year as it has the vertical I crave.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Whiteface ROCKS! the *only* downside to it is that more people don't go and burn the trails in a bit more. :) overall it's got the vert, the steepness and actual lodging/civilization (cough cough, plattekill, cough cough) nearby. definitely thinking about heading up as sort of a "training session" before nationals.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I do. Especially if it's late in the year and I have 750,000 vertical in.

I was thinking about a future super d race using this course (in 2008).
Excuse the numbers we will have better and easier to remember names for the trails in the future.

23 to 24 then across the mountain to 3 (slickrock trail) to 5 (super steep and a cool jump over the pipes) then to the
stream crossing to 1 (service road), to trails 6 & 7. All downhill except 6 & 7 have 2 short but steep climbs. Other than that those 2 trails would add a couple of miles and are all downhill. I think that would be a 5 mile route and take an expert at least 20 minutes.
With a 12 minute gondola ride one could do almost 14 runs or 34,000+ vertical if there bike hold up?

I outlined the course on a trail map and scanned it. Having trouble attaching it to this reply?

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
downhill mike has made that place better every year. It downfall is that it is so far away from NYC area. Platty and diablo are closer but I will be there at least twice this year as it has the vertical I crave.
I should mention my friend Elias and his father Peter have done so much. I help them on the mountain and promote and stuff, but none of this, or whats to come would ever happen without these 2.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
definitely thinking about heading up as sort of a "training session" before nationals.
i was thinking of doing some weekends there too right after they open, just to do some really really really long runs

too bad they will not be open before the WC at St. Anne, as the terrain would be a great place to replicate the high speed and distance of the track

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
DH Mike, I agree with your course selection, but I like [what i think is] #13 at the bottom. It's a nice pine section that continues downhill but let's you off above the lodge. That's a good place to view people too, as you can see how many times they come down and make sure they hit 3-5-13. I don't have a date set, but the month of august is relatively free for me...maybe we have a $10 buy-in, which goes towards the purchase of beer for everybody and something special for the winner? like a grande meal at T-bell :-D