Quantcast

Whistler!!!!

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
hey guys, so i got my plane ticket Lima-Toronto-Vancouver for the 15th of july, im stoked, i havent been back to vancouver since i moved down here 8 years ago.

So i wanted to ask everyone what is the best way to get up to whistler...are there any cheap shuttles? i saw one shuttle that costs about 50 bucks but i think thats pretty expensive and there has to be something cheaper...im staying for 3 weeks so i gotta make my money count!

anybody else goin up to whistler for crankworx? its gonna be knarly i cant wait! hope to meet som RM people up there... I'll be on a 2005 Siemens replica Gemini DH, 888, formula brakes, white TLD helmet and probably talking in spanish with a buddie im goin with...say HI!

Keyz

Chimp
Jul 3, 2006
Sammamish
I usually drive up from Seattle. However, I do know that there is a resort cab that runs between Vancouver and Whistler for around $230. Also, there is a Motorcoach and Rail that runs for $172. I'll ask around Whistler village this weekend and see if there is a better and cheaper way to travel. FYI, I ran up against some road closures on the sea-to-sky highway last week, making the drive time over 5 hours vs 4.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
hey guys, so i got my plane ticket Lima-Toronto-Vancouver for the 15th of july, im stoked, i havent been back to vancouver since i moved down here 8 years ago.

So i wanted to ask everyone what is the best way to get up to whistler...are there any cheap shuttles? i saw one shuttle that costs about 50 bucks but i think thats pretty expensive and there has to be something cheaper...im staying for 3 weeks so i gotta make my money count!

anybody else goin up to whistler for crankworx? its gonna be knarly i cant wait! hope to meet som RM people up there... I'll be on a 2005 Siemens replica Gemini DH, 888, formula brakes, white TLD helmet and probably talking in spanish with a buddie im goin with...say HI!
I'll be up from the 21st - 29th of July (c-worx)...Might actually be up the 14th and 15th as well...gotta get some reps in on the upper mountain...I'll be the big dude, orange Rotec, jersey says Mule-Train...can't miss me. As for transport up there...50 bucks is prolly one of the cheaper ways unless you hitchhike it...But I'd wait to see what Keyz finds out.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
take the Greyhound: cheap

If you are REALLY cheap, you could always ship your bike from Van to Whis by Greyhound and hitchike to Whistler. It's easy to hitchhike, espcially if you take the public transit bus that takes you to the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal. After that, you just go on the 99 and put you thumb up. People going through there are going to Squamish or Whistler.

Anyways, good luck. I was there last weekend and the jumps in the bikepark were fu*** huge!

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
Greyhound it is!!! awesome! i cant wait to be there...

so what are the best DH runs in whistler?? i'm not really into north shore type stuff although i will give it a try

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Greyhound it is!!! awesome! i cant wait to be there...

so what are the best DH runs in whistler?? i'm not really into north shore type stuff although i will give it a try
Aight here's a run down...(make sure to print this out for reference on the mountain... :D )

Green trails = easiest, fireroads
Blue = easy/medium, good warm-ups, get a feel for the mountain
Single black diamond = medium/hard, pay attention to what you're doing, have the ability to mess you up.
Double black = hard/expert, you will hurt yourself if you don't have the skillz, still soooooooo much fun though.

(I'll skip the green ones for review purposes cause I haven't taken them in the last 2 years)

B-line: Small berms, a couple tables, some wide open fun.
Crank It Up: Table tops, wall rides, berms, good good good times.
Karate Monkey: Good flow, single track, some berms, some rocks, fun, but short.
^^All good for your first run if you're an intermediate rider

Devil's Club: A couple wide (read: 2 feet) ladder bridges, north shore type single track, fun!
Smoke and Mirrors: Some skinnier (1 foot or less) ladder bridges, same par as DC.
Crack Addict: Most North Shore of the ladder trails at Whistler. Fun, but not in the wet...
A-Line: Tables and berms. 2 drops. Bad ass. Go big or go home.
Schleyer: Rocks, rocks, rocks...tech but soooooo fun. Rip it.
Whistler Downhill: The top section is aight...I don't like it, but whatev. The Lower WD is bad ass. Fast sections, followed by 3 sheer rock faces, followed by tech single track and switch backs. FUN!
Detroit Rock City: Awesome. Rocks. Drops. Steep roll-ins. Good FUN!
Dirt Merchant: Tables, berms, drops, a gap jump (small but fun) good flow. Prolly one of the most fun trails to get a group together to just rail.
Fantastic: Took it once last year...wasn't that fantastic. *Shrug*
Clown shoes, Joyride (Upper and Lower) can't comment on, haven't ridden them yet.

Upper Mountain (Garbanzo) --

Freight Train: A-Line on crack. Super long, tables, wide open fast sections, berms galore. Pure fun.
Original Sin: Tech single track with some rock faces. Scared the crap outta me when I took it for the first time (I was riding blind all by myself. Thought process: "Oh this can't be that tough...I'll just hit it. What's around thissss!!!! AAAAAHHHH!" but I survived.)
Duff Man: Techy single track. Awesome at speed.
No Duff: A couple rock faces and a couple ladders, nothing scary. Techy single track. FUN!

Hope that helps.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to a majority of the trails on the upper mountain...there's still another 60% up there I haven't ridden...I feel deprived....

If I'm up there on the 15th, look for me. I'd be happy to ride with ya (I just hope I can keep up!)!!!!

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
D-1 entrance is right next to the entrance of too tight, id have to say hit up too tight, d1 if you into hips and hard riding, CRACK ADDICT (favortite run) a line, scheyler, joyride which is tech singletrack, rock faces, and one or two ladders, clown shoes which is actually the most northshore trail, lower is alwasy closed in the wet, its all ladder bridges, at the end is the famous 7ish foot maybe a little more drop

and that 50 dollar shuttle is ur best bet and cheapest option i believe

heres a ladder on clown shoes

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
More trails:

Angry Pirate: narrow, twisty, singletrack in the trees next to a creek. Loads of fun!

Captain Safety: two steep rock faces, the second being VERY steep with an off camber corner and a narrow rooty section after it

In Deep: Lot of roots, a couple steep rock faces as option lines, way harder when wet,

Goat's Gulley: Steep singletrack with a mix of rocky corners and roots. Used to be way harder, but some of the corners have been smoothed out. Not a speed trail.

Crabapple Hits: Long, big table tops which can be hit at Mach 1

Karate Monkey: Wasn't open when I was there... new favorite among locals.

D1: big doubles in the trees, roll through your first time

Joyride: techy singletrack, with a optional ladder gap and a couple steep rock faces. Lower Joyride is probably one of the least ridden, but most fun trails on the mtn.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
you guys rock...thanks secret squirrel for such a detailed description of alot of the runs...like i said, i'll be up in whistler from the 15th till the end of the month and probly a few more days depending on if i can stay at a friends' place...look out for a Gemini DH, 888, formulas and white tld helmet...im planning on buying some a new kit once i arrive in vancouver...hahhaa im so stoked its sad

danielbender

Monkey
Sep 21, 2004
Brazil
i will be there too!
july 19th to august 3rd!

i will be riding IH Sunday Team 2006 - with Brazil Jersey!

I just get my registration :

Garbanzo Enduro DH
Jim Beam Air Downhill
Telus Dual Slalom
Canadian Open DH

it will awesome!
me and 14 guys are going from Brazil!

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
group of 14...haha thats nuts..awesome.. South America reprisent!!

where can i find info of what races i´ll be able to enter??

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
group of 14...haha thats nuts..awesome.. South America reprisent!!

where can i find info of what races i´ll be able to enter??
www.crankworx.com/athletes.php

It's $50 CAN for each event. There's a third party registration website ....(I haven't gone all the way through the registration yet...I think you might get a price break if you do multiple events...but I'm not completely sure.) I think I'll prolly be shellin' out 200 for my 4!!! Ack...guess I'll just have to bring cheap beer to get loaded on in my room...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'll be there August 6th-11th with some fellow so-cal folks
Can't friggen wait!

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
join worca for 40 bucks, then race in the beer league world championship points series for 2 bucks a race....you get a race, a free beer at the glc after and your chance at probably about $1000 worth of prizes.....but you'll probably still get beat by girls like Jen and Ange.....chainless b-line ruling

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Nice pictures Flip - B-line may be easy but fun to practice turning and keeping speed and a perfect warm up trail.

I will be back for the 5th year on July 7th.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC

Hola - I'm going to be in Whistler with some Washingtonians (DC, not the State) 1-20 Aug and then LIMA for a week. Necesito hablar contigo sobre las opciones para mi cleta. Tnego dos, tres dias aca para andar de decensor. Escribeme.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
DUDE!!!! i'm leaving on july 22nd for the summer gravity camps. not only do i have those, but crankworx is going at the same time, so it's going to be crazy. i've been able to ride double blacks at other resorts, like keystone in CO, but how do the whistler double blacks stack up next to those? i'm going to have time to ride outside of the camp, like when each day has winded down, so i need ideas of where to go on the mountain. i could always ask when i'm up there, but i'm too excited. i think i'm also going to pick up some new gear up there, probably cheaper than most shops near me, they'll actually have DH stuff in stock and not have to special order.

btw, my second time leaving the country, mexico was the first.

mtbikermark

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
Jackson, CA
Can't wait to get up there...it'll be my first time to ride Whistler. Thanks for all the trail info. Four of us are driving up from Nor Cal July 15-21.