Quantcast

Whistler trip saved by Transition folk!

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
My buddy, his wife, and I were headed up for Labor Day in Whistler. Left Thursday from Boise, ID with hopes of getting to Whistler around 9. My buddy was going to do a skills clinic to get his coaching license and brought his newly built Yeti SB66 carbon. His wife brought her 'perfect for her' Transition Blindside, and I had my Canfield Jedi. Story got cruddy when we were rear ended on Snoqualmie pass just east of Seattle. Yeti and Blindside are on Thule rack and were destroyed, literally. My Canfield was on tailgate pad in truck and front end took a beating, smashing up my Dorado, the wheel, and rotor. Frame is questionable and I am going to try to get it swapped through insurance as fork was hit hard enough for it to make a 4 inch dent/imprint on my tailgate. Don't feel safe riding frame after that.

Not sure what to do at this point, we are 8 hours into a 12 hour drive with $1000 in non refundable accommodations and tuition for skills clinic. We decide to press on. My buddy is really good friends with Kevin from Transition and I am really good friends with the Canfield's, both based out of Bellingham and conveniently on our way. Canfields ended up being in Kamloops and didn't have any demo's available but we got a hold of Kevin Menard and he offered myself and my buddy's wife access to their personal TR450's. He also had an employee open the shop and pull out a demo carbon Covert for my buddy to ride in his clinic. Amazing service and we all ended up having a great time. Just want to send a huge and public shoutout thanks to everybody at Transition to stepped up and made this trip work out so well.

Back home and now dealing with the insurance drama. Bikes are more expensive by a factor of 8 than truck to fix up but they were my very expensive crumple zone. Truck took surprisingly little damage which left us able to continue driving.

Including pic of post impact, rack gave up the ghost and dumped the two bikes it was responsible on the freeway. Mine looks ok but closer inspection made it unrideable also.

Attachments

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
My rack killed the car who rear ended us. The hitch penetrated a solid 20+ inches (50 cm for metric folk ;0) into his car taking out radiator and I think I saw oil on the road as well. Nice consolation prize and we started calling the rack the 'stinger' for the rest of the trip.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It can be pretty crazy up there on the pass, traffic going around those bends, speeding up, slowing down. Glad you're safe, I only drove through a few times and I saw plenty of opportunity for wrecks.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That really sucks. But on the plus side everyone was okay, the trip still went on and you have insurance to hopefully replace everything on the bikes or get new ones.

Transition people are great, like you said. Very approachable from a customers point of view.

We'll need pics of the new bikes when you get them :D I'm guessing Transitions?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I am upset not to see photos of the totalled bikes. Come on, post 'em up :)

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Props to Transition for getting you guys riding!

Keep us posted on how the insurance thing works out. I'm always wary of hanging my bikes on the tailgate, just can't imagine it going well with the other guy's insurance company, asking them to replace a $1500 fork, $3k frame, bars, stem, wheel, headset just because their insured bumped me.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Alas, I did not take any pictures of the other two bikes. I know that their owners did but haven't tried to retrieve. I was on the phone with insurance and talking to the officer most of the time we were on the side of the road. To be honest, the photos aren't that exciting. Wheels all taco'd, carbon frame full of cracks but still in one piece and Blindside bent up pretty good but also, still in one piece. Except rear wheel, it was only held on by the drivetrain as the dropouts/rear end were all twisted.

Insurance is still pending. I got a check for the truck asap but they seem to be dragging their feet on the bikes. Last talk, depreciated value was mentioned and quickly called out for the BS that it was. More updates to come and once again, massive shout out to Kevin at Transition. I am still talking about this trip in a positive light and he is mostly responsible for that. Hope that positive attitude continues because insurance put us back to straight in the end.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I spent some time in Seattle in 2004, and Kyle was a real 'ambassador', invited and brought me to riding spots. I never met Kevin, but they actually ride, well, and still do as far as I know.

Definitely a class act.

Glad they sorted you out; that's a whole 'nother level of awesomeness from Transition!!

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
but they seem to be dragging their feet on the bikes.
this shouldnt be a surprise to anyone. do not stop bothering them, pester them (in a professional way) until you get ALL your monies back. of course theyre going to want to settle with you and low ball you, just make sure you get everything back that you put into it!

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Alas, I did not take any pictures of the other two bikes. I know that their owners did but haven't tried to retrieve. I was on the phone with insurance and talking to the officer most of the time we were on the side of the road. To be honest, the photos aren't that exciting. Wheels all taco'd, carbon frame full of cracks but still in one piece and Blindside bent up pretty good but also, still in one piece. Except rear wheel, it was only held on by the drivetrain as the dropouts/rear end were all twisted.

Insurance is still pending. I got a check for the truck asap but they seem to be dragging their feet on the bikes. Last talk, depreciated value was mentioned and quickly called out for the BS that it was. More updates to come and once again, massive shout out to Kevin at Transition. I am still talking about this trip in a positive light and he is mostly responsible for that. Hope that positive attitude continues because insurance put us back to straight in the end.

I had someone run into the back of me last year while stopped, with a turn signal on waiting for traffic to clear, so I could turn. I can fully vouch for how the center bar on the T2 impacts a car when hit from behind. It went straight through the front of this dudes car, leaving a big square hole. Fortunately, my buddies and my bikes weren't damaged. Just the car from where the rack impacted it.

As for the insurance to replace the bikes, as much BS as it is, call the other drivers company every single day until the check arrives. Insurance companies love to low ball claims when it's their insured at fault.

Hit from behind = following too closely and/or driving unsafe for conditions and would be at fault. Remind them of this.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Update, Truck is in repair shop now getting sorted. The really good news is we were told that checks are in the mail for replacement value of the bikes. I won't be completely relaxed about all this until the check is in hand but that is a good development for sure and means we can go about replacing the busted steeds.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
biz-

i didnt know they sent checks to you without calling you first and making sure the value is all good to go and everything?

although, in the past its always been my insurance company sending me checks. not someone elses.. so it could be different i suppose.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Check arrived and is for proper replacement amount. Now I get to start shopping for the replacement... Wish the riding season wasn't nearing its hibernation point.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Nice, I did spend some time on the Covert in Whistler and was more than a little impressed how well it handled the hill. It is one I am considering for sure.