Quantcast

Whistler stuff... lots of scenery

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Been here for a while, thought I'd put some pics up. Bit light on actual riding photos though, there's plenty of scenic ones.

View from the Roundhouse at the top of the gondola:

View from the Whistler peak over the valley. The next sub-peak down you can see is the top of the Garbanzo area:

Riding with some QLDers on Original Sin:

We found Lost Lake... so now it's just Lake. Pristine Canadian wilderness and cuttie marks:

The hardest trail I've ever ridden:

The first chute on Trespasser. There's a left hand corner at the bottom of this that you have to make otherwise you run into a huge fallen tree:

James hitting said chute:

The next chute on Trespasser. This one was a bit easier because you had almost 3 metres to stop at the bottom:

Dave riding another steep chute on Trespasser... anyone noticing a trend here?

James on the same section:

Just before the final Trespasser Chute Of Death:

The tree in the background should give you some perspective of just how steep this bit is. Dave:

Me:

Riding the Shalemaster. Spot the rider!

Out of bounds trail:

Handycams don't deal with motion photography very well, especially in the hands of amateurs like us:

Canada is really lacking in steep terrain:

Not quite Champery but then this wasn't the steepest part of the track either:

Pretty tough, obviously:

Riding and stuff:

Fairly small but pretty dodgy creek gap. The lip was super soft, almost flat and the run in was muddy and slippery:

Quick clip of me hitting the creek gap:

The aftermath, ripped about quarter of my spokes out of the rim:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I guess Trespasser would be the perfect place for the 60 head angle Moondraker. Looks like that would even be steep on the chutes.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Man, I have to get out there next season. Nice photos! That one trail looks pretty steep and rooty. Sweet!

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
When I was out there my wife hiked to lost lake every day I think. But I was way too busy riding for such business. :D

It's hard to tell in the picture but I think the "Shalemaster" is the roll in that I saw Da Peach do on my first day there. If so, it's wwaaayyyy more gnarly than it looks in that shot.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
When I was out there my wife hiked to lost lake every day I think. But I was way too busy riding for such business. :D

It's hard to tell in the picture but I think the "Shalemaster" is the roll in that I saw Da Peach do on my first day there. If so, it's wwaaayyyy more gnarly than it looks in that shot.
Yep! That's the one!

See you next year...

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
at this point I would pee myself for completely different reasons!

you should see it with the corner you have to make at the bottom of it.....he's right though, definitely one of the hardest trails in the valley....and while I'd prefer that you hadn't said what trail it is, please keep directions on the relative DL, its a serious trail, with serious consequences....

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Nice! Good thing the landing was all soft!

How are those POC leg protectors holding up?
The POC shinnies are pretty good. They're slowly dying but I think I'll get another pair, I like these better than anything else I've used. They always look like they're sitting kind of awkwardly but they're comfy and the protection is excellent.

great pictures steve! :thumb:

is it already snowing in whistler?
this weekend i will go snowboarding for the first time this season :D
Cheers mate! Not really snowing yet, at the top of the mountain it has a little bit but not down low yet.

you should see it with the corner you have to make at the bottom of it.....he's right though, definitely one of the hardest trails in the valley....and while I'd prefer that you hadn't said what trail it is, please keep directions on the relative DL, its a serious trail, with serious consequences....
Yeah Flip is right, probably shouldn't have posted the name - if you really want to ride it then you can probably find someone in Whis to take you down it, but make sure you can clean EVERYTHING on the bike park trails safely and relatively easily first, it's absolutely the real deal when it comes to difficult, dangerous trails. You need to be completely on your game to be heading down that. For those who have ridden Ride Don't Slide (which is IMO the nearest comparison)... this is significantly harder and unlike RDS, if you crash you will almost certainly get hurt. Don't go looking for trouble if you're not up to it - also it's not in the bike park so if you do get hurt you'll be calling 911 and paying for your rescue, there's no patrol to help you.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Yeah Flip is right, probably shouldn't have posted the name - if you really want to ride it then you can probably find someone in Whis to take you down it, but make sure you can clean EVERYTHING on the bike park trails safely and relatively easily first, it's absolutely the real deal when it comes to difficult, dangerous trails. You need to be completely on your game to be heading down that. For those who have ridden Ride Don't Slide (which is IMO the nearest comparison)... this is significantly harder and unlike RDS, if you crash you will almost certainly get hurt. Don't go looking for trouble if you're not up to it - also it's not in the bike park so if you do get hurt you'll be calling 911 and paying for your rescue, there's no patrol to help you.
The best comparison to Tresspasser that I can think of is the line off the bridge on goats gully, imagine doing that, about 12-15 times and that is tresspasser. don't even think about it if it is even the slightest bit moist....

-KT

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The best comparison to Tresspasser that I can think of is the line off the bridge on goats gully, imagine doing that, about 12-15 times and that is tresspasser. don't even think about it if it is even the slightest bit moist....

-KT
That is what I was think especially when GG was just build. That would be one physical trail to ride.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

-KT
haha even that line isn't as sketchy as some of the stuff on Trespasser, it's just a bit rough but it's short and you at least have an easy run out from it. Trespasser is like big gnarly chute into sketchy tight corner that you HAVE to make otherwise you run into a huge tree/rock... time and time again.

clownshoes

Chimp
Oct 22, 2009
Whistler
The POC shinnies are pretty good. They're slowly dying but I think I'll get another pair, I like these better than anything else I've used. They always look like they're sitting kind of awkwardly but they're comfy and the protection is excellent.

Cheers mate! Not really snowing yet, at the top of the mountain it has a little bit but not down low yet.

I hid the entrance better so people just don't stumble into it for the reasons listed above. It is also dangerous to even walk parts of it.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008

I wonder what thats like compared to the new stuff on 1867 in Mont St Anne.
Looks super gnarly id love to see that stuff.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Gutted! How far from "home" were you with the bust wheel?
Maybe 2-2.5km, I rode out on it anyway. Full respect to the strength of 823s (well other than the nipple inserts which obviously aren't too hard to break haha). Also can't believe I ripped that many spokes out, broke a 6" diameter log, yet didn't pinchflat. Maxxis DH tubes make a mockery of the reliability of any other setup.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Robert, Robert, Robert... Clownshoes is a treasure. Seriously one of my favorite trails anywhere. Maybe we can hit it up next summer!?

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Robert, Robert, Robert... Clownshoes is a treasure. Seriously one of my favorite trails anywhere. Maybe we can hit it up next summer!?
really? I'd rate it as a tie for worst trail on the mountain, right up there with smoke and mirrors.....don't even remember the last time I rode either of those PsOS....

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

That is the beauty of Whis. It's got something for almost everybody. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Dirt Merchant or A-Line, but I understand why some people really like them. Conversely, I do like "old school DH" trails like Detroit Rock City, Goats Gully, Original Sin, Joy Ride, etc...Variety (and cheap bourbon) is the spice of life.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I'm with Jackalope in that my tastes lean toward the stuff up on Garb, but there is just something about clownshoes that gets me pumped up after I've ridden it... All that said, I'd love to be riding any trail on that hill on a regular basis.

Killingtonvt

Monkey
Sep 19, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I had a chance to ride the aforementioned trail last year. Sick doesn’t even describe it!!! The chutes are insane, (and fun)!!! Roots… OH-YEAH!!! It was def. one the knarliest trails I have ridden and it makes trails like Goat’s seem really tame. I will say however, there is VERY HIGH risk of injury on this trail and there is no way to get help, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN!!!

By the way, did you guys see this crazy house on your back to the village??? It was built into the rock, unerground garage with an elavator... pretty sweet!!!

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
really? I'd rate it as a tie for worst trail on the mountain, right up there with smoke and mirrors.....don't even remember the last time I rode either of those PsOS....
I conquer. Devils Club has gotta be up there too, that thing is horrible.

Worst trail on the mountain = g(A)y-line

-KT
You gotta be joking... sure after you've ridden it a few times it loses its appeal a bit but man it's just a good fun trail. Do some jumps, smash some berms, how can that be anything but fun?

clownshoes

Chimp
Oct 22, 2009
Whistler
I had a chance to ride the aforementioned trail last year. Sick doesn’t even describe it!!! The chutes are insane, (and fun)!!! Roots… OH-YEAH!!! It was def. one the knarliest trails I have ridden and it makes trails like Goat’s seem really tame. I will say however, there is VERY HIGH risk of injury on this trail and there is no way to get help, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN!!!

By the way, did you guys see this crazy house on your back to the village??? It was built into the rock, unerground garage with an elavator... pretty sweet!!!
Yeah, that house has a water fall too.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm all for riding stupid stuff. Wish I could see video. People's descriptions of it make it sound way too sketch. Then again, I've ridden trails where guys were like "That trail would be impossible to right clipless on" and well....it wasn't. :D

Let's see some more pics of it.