Quantcast

Whistler Heli Drop

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
So me and some buddies are doing a week long riding trip up in the lower mainland of B.C. that ends in Whistler with a heli drop. We had to book for 8 people because of the seating on the helicopter but only 5 of us are going right now. So we have 3 extra spots available for anyone whose interested. The ride is scheduled for Friday the 27th of July, which is the week of Crankworx. Its $250 US per person. I know some of you monkeys are going to be up there and if any of you are interested in this shoot me a PM and I can give you more details.
T.J.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
I believe we're doing Rainbow but not 100% sure on that. I was told we're doing this through west coast free ride. The $250 might be Canadian, the guy putting it together lives in Canada and told me $250 but I forgot to ask what currency. I'll email him and find out and clarify that for people.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Ok. That explains it then.

West Coast are a good bunch of guys.
good to know.

on a side note....Netguy (aka Ash) we'll have to take a few runs while I'm up there....heard a lot about ya here...I'd like to meet the man, the myth, the legend....maybe have a couple beers/pitchers.....Big guy, orange Rotec, "Mule-Train" on the back of my jersey....can't miss me. I'll be up on the 21st. Prolly hit the first lift...or close to.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
From my understanding its high alpine downhill. Netguy told me that he did this trail on his 6X6 and said it probably would of been more fun on a full on DH bike. He also told me there's only one trail down most of the way and then two choices; Jaws or 27 Switchbacks. Maybe he'll chime in on what the trail/s are actually like.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
From my understanding its high alpine downhill. Netguy told me that he did this trail on his 6X6 and said it probably would of been more fun on a full on DH bike. He also told me there's only one trail down most of the way and then two choices; Jaws or 27 Switchbacks. Maybe he'll chime in on what the trail/s are actually like.

Its definately doable on a 6x6, but it would be more fun on a dh bike I believe. hmmm the fresh air of a heli drop.

and 250$ is nothing. The operating cost of a heli drop is completely outrageous. Winter time drops cost even more at times.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Yea, 6" will work fine, but DH will be more funner.

I don't remember any climbing, and hardly any pedaling. Most of it was just flowy, kinda loose, singletrack. The trail changes dramatically from top to bottom though.

27 switchbacks is.. er.. switchbacks. Fun trail, good flow, lots of swithchbacks. Good thing is it's mellower and longer than Jaws.

Jaws is kinda a straightline trail that bypasses all the wandering switchbacks. It's steep, loose, dusty, and tight in the trees (bring glasses/goggles).

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
27 switchbacks is part of the flank trail isn't it? Personally I would skip it and do jaws. If 27 is what I think it is, it isn't really that interesting. And you could run into hikers and bikers as its a popular trailset for those xc guys. (going the other way ;))

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Oh, and BRING BUG REPELLANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I almost blocked out the gigantic mosquito type biting bugs that were all over us while we waited at the top. The wait was still awesome, there was snow, an icy pond, killer views, etc. But you had to keep moving because of the bugs.

For your anticipatory viewing pleasure: Rainbow Mountain

The view from the heli right after we left.

Cool shot of the heli with bikes.

Bikes coming down.

Sick views in all directions.

Very begining of the trail.

The trail photo's are all pretty high up on the mountain. I stopped caring about pictures after that.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
I did it on my SX Trail. 6.6 front and rear. Its a great bike for that hill, however when I was bombing down the faster, steeper, tighter lines, I wish I had my DH bike, only for the fact that I could go faster. + I am a DH bike kind of rider. I like the added security of having a heavier machine under you, and more suspension, to soak everything up. Lets face it, you can go alot faster on a full DH bike.

I would recommend knee pads...or some type of knee protection. Its lose rocky terrain on the upper section.

The trail is easily the hardest and most technical at the very top, and you have not ridden yet, so you are very cold, and have to hit some equivalent double diamond terrain. There are a couple of sketchy off camber steep corners. I bailed on one of them, and gave myself a nice little puncture wound. Wish I had knee pads.

If you have ridden Pemberton trails, then you will be familiar with the conditions. Loose, dusty, tight singletrack....but fun as it gets.

About 3% of it you have to pedal uphill, but its not steep.

Jaws is just one of the options when you get towards the bottom. I had ridden down 27 switchbacks prior to the drop, so I knew I did not want to do it. Its trail about 6 feet wide, rocky, and in alot of ways boring. You kind of are just waiting to get to the bottom. Sure, you can go fast, and try and pin it, but there is a lift accessed mountain near by if you want to go fast.

Its a tough call the first time down, if you should just pin it, or take in the views. I did a little of both. I think if the trail was pinned it would be a good 30 minutes of riding. However if you take in some views, and take it easy, it will probably take you over an hour.

Either way, its a good time and well worth doing.

Im out. It just rained, time to ride.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
So anybody else interested in this? I'm going to be pretty unreachable after Friday afternoon as that's when my whole trip starts. If your interested or unsure about anything and want to talk about it just PM me for my number or I can call you and we'll talk. Still have 2 seats that need to be filled.
Look at all the stuff everybody's already posted about it; its going to be an awesome adventure.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
In!

I was going to organize one through Whistler Mountain Bike ( I shoot for them ). Should I make some calls and count you in? Should be about $120 each. Its so worth it.
Three of us up are in Whistler from Washy DC from the 1st to the 13th of Aug, would do a chopper that weekend....

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Aug 7 or 8 would be the best.
PM me which day and I might be in.
How hard is the trail?
Depending on the difficulty I might have 2 riders.
How many riders do we need?

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
So we did our helidrop on Friday and although fun I would not recommend anyone going unitl late August or September. The amount of snow at the top was still very deep and for the first 1/2 mile or more we could barely find the trail let alone ride it. Our guides had never been up there with snow that bad and were thinking that its going to take a while for it all to melt off.

We did Rainbow and I know there's other places but up that high they probably all have a lot of snow left. I would highly recommend not going until late August or September or maybe not at all this year.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
So we did our helidrop on Friday and although fun I would not recommend anyone going unitl late August or September. The amount of snow at the top was still very deep and for the first 1/2 mile or more we could barely find the trail let alone ride it. Our guides had never been up there with snow that bad and were thinking that its going to take a while for it all to melt off.

We did Rainbow and I know there's other places but up that high they probably all have a lot of snow left. I would highly recommend not going until late August or September or maybe not at all this year.

YA this year, the snow is "bad"...glad you had fun.