Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I heard the back end of this story on the radio this morning.
I was also wondering if the peak 2 peak broke. Then again there would be massive numbers of dead people if that went down.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I am planning on taking a trip across the valley when I go there. If it fails it will be one hell of a ride to my death

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
some crappy dark pics, I got there late, the one day I left my camera at home.....hearing 4-5 days to have the tower replaced and gondy running again, so glad no one was seriously hurt, this could've been very bad......and for the record, the peak to peak is super stable, rode it sunday in gusty winds and it didn't blow around at all.....

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I wonder what caused it to fail? I have seen pictures of lift towers that filled with water and froze, they busted apart like a banana.

That looks like a fairly clean break, must have been welded at 4:00 on a Friday.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Cable cars make me edgy, especially when its just you and the cabin over 3000' of air and opportunity. When I worked at Squaw I was very leery of using it. Sometimes we had to, but I wasn't fond.

And here's why:
* August 15, 1960: between Castellammare di Stabia and the Monte Faito, near Naples, Italy.
* August 29, 1961: A military plane splits the hauling cable of a cabin railway on the Aiguille du Midi in the Mont Blanc massif: six people killed.
* 1963: Cabin of the renovated PKB crashes at the valley station, one person killed, several injured.
* December 25, 1965: Power failure on the aerial ropeway at Puy de Sancy in central France causes abrupt cabin halt, cabin wall breaks. 17 people fall, seven killed.
* July 9, 1966: A cable breaks on a cabin railway at Aiguille du Midi in the Mont Blanc massif: three cabins fall, four people killed.
* December 6, 1970: Five people killed at Merano, Italy.
* July 13, 1972: 13 killed at the crash of a cab in Bettmeralp, Switzerland.
* October 26, 1972: During a test at an aerial tramway at Les Deux Alpes in France, two cabs collide, nine people killed.
* July 9, 1974: Hauling cable breaks on the aerial tramway at Ulriken, Norway. One cabin fell, four people killed.
* March 9, 1976: In the Italian Dolomites at Cavalese, a cab falls after a rope break, killing 42. (See Cavalese cable-car disaster (1976))
* March 26, 1976: Damage to the carrying rope leads to crash of multiple cabs of the aerial tramway at Vail, Colorado, USA. Four people killed, five injured.
* April 15, 1978: In a storm, two carrying ropes of the Squaw Valley Aerial Tramway in California fall from the aerial tramway support tower. One of the ropes partly destroys the cabin. four killed, 32 injured.
* February 13, 1983: Two cabs collide in Champoluc, near Aosta (Italy), 11 dead.
* January 13, 1989: Eight people killed during a test of the French aerial tramway Vaujany in the Alpe D'Huez area.
* June 1, 1990: 15 people killed after a rope break in Tbilisi, Georgia.
* 1995: Operator error causes the cabin of Muttereralmbahn near Innsbruck, Austria, to crash. No casualties or injuries.
* February 3, 1998: U.S. military aircraft severs the cable of an aerial ropeway in Cavalese, Italy, killing 20 people. (See Cavalese cable-car disaster)
* July 1, 1999: 20 people killed at the crash of an aerial tramway at the Bure observatory in the French alps.
* July 6, 2000: Entering the middle station of Nebelhornbahn, a cabin fails to brake. 23 people injured.
* October 19, 2003: Four were killed and 11 injured when three cars slipped off the cable of the Darjeeling Ropeway.
* October 9, 2004: Crash of a cabin of the Grünberg aerial tramway in Gmunden, Austria. Many hurt.
* November 14, 2004: Empty cabin of tramway in Sölden, Austria, falls after becoming entangled with rope. No casualties, 113 people rescued from other cabins
* April 18, 2006: New York's Roosevelt Island Tramway experiences a power failure, leaving 69 passengers in two trams stranded over the East River for approximately seven hours, just eight months after a similar incident in which trams were stranded for 90 minutes. No injuries or fatalities occurred in either incident.
* October 31, 2007: The Flaine lift Les Grands Platieres or DMC broke down for six hours and was evacuated.

If my dumb ass is going to be that high up built in the mountains, I want a parachute to get out with.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I wonder what caused it to fail? I have seen pictures of lift towers that filled with water and froze, they busted apart like a banana.

That looks like a fairly clean break, must have been welded at 4:00 on a Friday.
Official press release info:

Several factors converged to cause the tower failure. The structure of the tower is such that two parts are spliced together. Water had seeped into the tower which had turned to ice with the recent extreme cold temperatures. The ice build-up caused the tower splice to rupture, an extremely unusual situation referred to as “ice-jacking”.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Cable cars make me edgy, especially when its just you and the cabin over 3000' of air and opportunity. When I worked at Squaw I was very leery of using it. Sometimes we had to, but I wasn't fond.

And here's why:
* August 15, 1960: between Castellammare di Stabia and the Monte Faito, near Naples, Italy.
* August 29, 1961: A military plane splits the hauling cable of a cabin railway on the Aiguille du Midi in the Mont Blanc massif: six people killed.
* 1963: Cabin of the renovated PKB crashes at the valley station, one person killed, several injured.
* December 25, 1965: Power failure on the aerial ropeway at Puy de Sancy in central France causes abrupt cabin halt, cabin wall breaks. 17 people fall, seven killed.
* July 9, 1966: A cable breaks on a cabin railway at Aiguille du Midi in the Mont Blanc massif: three cabins fall, four people killed.
* October 26, 1972: During a test at an aerial tramway at Les Deux Alpes in France, two cabs collide, nine people killed.
* July 9, 1974: Hauling cable breaks on the aerial tramway at Ulriken, Norway. One cabin fell, four people killed.
* March 9, 1976: In the Italian Dolomites at Cavalese, a cab falls after a rope break, killing 42. (See Cavalese cable-car disaster (1976))
* March 26, 1976: Damage to the carrying rope leads to crash of multiple cabs of the aerial tramway at Vail, Colorado, USA. Four people killed, five injured.
* April 15, 1978: In a storm, two carrying ropes of the Squaw Valley Aerial Tramway in California fall from the aerial tramway support tower. One of the ropes partly destroys the cabin. four killed, 32 injured.
* February 13, 1983: Two cabs collide in Champoluc, near Aosta (Italy), 11 dead.
* January 13, 1989: Eight people killed during a test of the French aerial tramway Vaujany in the Alpe D'Huez area.
* 1995: Operator error causes the cabin of Muttereralmbahn near Innsbruck, Austria, to crash. No casualties or injuries.
* February 3, 1998: U.S. military aircraft severs the cable of an aerial ropeway in Cavalese, Italy, killing 20 people. (See Cavalese cable-car disaster)
* July 1, 1999: 20 people killed at the crash of an aerial tramway at the Bure observatory in the French alps.
* July 6, 2000: Entering the middle station of Nebelhornbahn, a cabin fails to brake. 23 people injured.
* October 19, 2003: Four were killed and 11 injured when three cars slipped off the cable of the Darjeeling Ropeway.
* October 9, 2004: Crash of a cabin of the Grünberg aerial tramway in Gmunden, Austria. Many hurt.
* November 14, 2004: Empty cabin of tramway in Sölden, Austria, falls after becoming entangled with rope. No casualties, 113 people rescued from other cabins
* April 18, 2006: New York's Roosevelt Island Tramway experiences a power failure, leaving 69 passengers in two trams stranded over the East River for approximately seven hours, just eight months after a similar incident in which trams were stranded for 90 minutes. No injuries or fatalities occurred in either incident.
* October 31, 2007: The Flaine lift Les Grands Platieres or DMC broke down for six hours and was evacuated.

If my dumb ass is going to be that high up built in the mountains, I want a parachute to get out with.
So they average 1 accident a year, worldwide, and you won't ride them???

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
So they average 1 accident a year, worldwide, and you won't ride them???
I've never been afraid of heights. I've sky dived, cliff jumped, BASE jumped, bungee, etc.

Something about the whole thing just left me unsettled, which was a strange sensation.

When I get that feeling, I listen.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I've always had those "what if" thoughts. Normally its been on the shonky old lifts in the Alps. Also the big red Telecabin out of Champery had me a bit on edge.

Worst one of the lot was this year actually. There was a problem with the lift which meant it was stopping violently every 30 meters or so. Combined with a steep climb & large gaps between the towers the bubbles were swaying about all over the place! I thought my bike was going skydiving that day!

Wost bit was after finally getting near the top having been on the thing for 45 minutes (7 minute lift), literally just past the final tower, it stops again, and swings so much, the cabin I was in actualy hit the tower & punched a hole in the side of it :eek:

Had a little sit down before I made my way down the track. It scared the cr*p out of me.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
While I think it's pretty dumb to just stop riding lifts, I wonder how many other lift-towers could have the same problem?

Anybody remember the debacle with Yan lifts? That guy couldn't design a lift for sh*t, and although he came up with one of the first high-speed designs, nearly everyone that bought the lifts had to eventually replace them (high speed versions) or replace all the chairs and mechs (normal versions).

Go look up Yan lifts if you have some time, it's quality stuff, like the Karpiel, Lahar, and Ellsworth stories...

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Official press release info:

Several factors converged to cause the tower failure. The structure of the tower is such that two parts are spliced together. Water had seeped into the tower which had turned to ice with the recent extreme cold temperatures. The ice build-up caused the tower splice to rupture, an extremely unusual situation referred to as “ice-jacking”.
That does not sound very safe at all. It also sounds like it does not take much for that to occur.

Hell, I will still ride them, one tower isn't going to do much unless it is the peak 2 peak.

A bad splice on the other hand is creepy as hell.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
My theory goes like this:

There are a limited number of gondola/tram lifts in the world. If it only happens once a year, it still has a chance of happening where I am standing at about 2000' above the ground.

Just my inner control freak.

Oh yea, and I've been on a lift that has had the cable derail. Old school double chair, 55' to ground, all of the sudden we're going down. Stopped about 5' off the ground, then bucked us both off. Busted both collar bones through the skin.

Since then, I get paranoid.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

And here's why:

hate to break it to you, but your odds of dying are way higher with a parachute. and if that doesn't get you about 250 people die in avalanches every year so you might not be safe when you land either. and just when you think you are finally safe, 3000 people choke to death annually.

but i hear ya, sitting 1000ft off the ground suspended by a cable is not exactly my favorite thing to do. but statistically i'm probably more likely to die from tripping on the way out of the tram and slicing my neck with the edge of my skis so i'll take my chance.

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ

And here's why:

I'm pretty sure I was there the day this one happened (I was 9), I think the cars that fell were right at the top before it went into the building so they weren't far off the ground at the time.

11 HURT IN SKI LIFT ACCIDENT:
E-MAIL Print Reprints Save Share
LinkedinDiggFacebookMixxYahoo! BuzzPermalinkPublished: February 2, 1987
LEAD: Ski Patrol members helping trapped skiers from gondolas on Saturday at Mt. Snow Ski Area in West Dover, Vt.

Ski Patrol members helping trapped skiers from gondolas on Saturday at Mt. Snow Ski Area in West Dover, Vt.

Eleven people were slightly injured when two of the gondola cars fell from the cable and others were stacked up against a lift tower. The management of the ski area says that the lift will remain closed until it is examined by the state and a cause of the failure is determined. (AP)

MTB R&D

Chimp
Oct 10, 2008
In a demo Tent near you...
...Anybody remember the debacle with Yan lifts? That guy couldn't design a lift for sh*t, and although he came up with one of the first high-speed designs, nearly everyone that bought the lifts had to eventually replace them (high speed versions) or replace all the chairs and mechs (normal versions)...
I have worked with them all. Yan, Ctec, Poma, Dopplemeyer...

It was a Yan lift (Quicksilver) at Whistler-Blackcomb that killed two people and injured 70.