Quantcast

Whistler for the first time...what to fix?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So I'm going to whistler to shred the park for 2 days this weekend and do some trails for my first day there *friday*. Anyhow, Its my first time and I'm not 100% sure what things wear first there and what not. So while I'm recovering from riding yesterday and replenish for whistler, I'm planning on taking my bike apart and getting things done.

My hubs were re-built 2 months ago, I have a brand new DH BB, Brand new PC-991 chain, Wheels trued and I'll tighten them up, and everything was "adjusted" according to the shop *shifts like crap though*.

Also my tires are getting dead, I figure when I get back I'll need new ones...but when I went to Utah a month ago (100 degrees) my sidewalls all became cracked, will this be a problem?

So yeah, what else should I take a look at, and regrease/degrease/adjust/ect.?

P.S. I dont have much cash after buying a bunch of protection and crap for whistler, so I'm doing this all my self (Soon to be shop employee)

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Take spair parts. Everything is so over-priced there. Also, an extra derailure hanger. Don't worry about tools as much, just spair parts. Yes, new tires would be good. Just make sure everything works, and you bring spare parts. If your driving, take extra wheels, suspension, and all the goodies.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
New cable and housing. This is the #1 cause of bad shifting. Only use Shimano housing, everything else is sh*t.

Fresh tires, and you'll need another fresh set when you get back. You'll be riding so much your tires will go, mine did.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
yeah I hear everythings expensive as crap there, and I can imagine...

As for Tires, I get them discounted from ride support, but I have to wait a week...so I'm just going to order some for when I get back...and hope my current tires hold out.

Cables...I dont want to deal with stretch while I'm there, but I guess I'll fix them when I get home.

A hanger...now thats a good idea, I'll go pick one up today!

I'm not driving, I'm riding with a friend and we have 5 people who are all riding (including both his parents) so I'm trying not to bring more then I need (since I'm bringing camera gear).

thanks, Keep 'em coming!

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Yeah I just put new ones on my rear, and it turned out they were fine...so I kept the old pads as back-ups, my fronts look new...but I'll definatly bring my spare set up there.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Tires and brake pads are the top things to bring. I always take every spare part I have, even if its old. Spare helmet and gloves is a good idea.

Just take any and every spare part you have. :) Since you are only going for two days your pads should be fine but put a new set of tires on. You dont want to buy a tire in Whistler. I think they are $90-120 ea depending on the tire.

Ive replaced derailers, tires, a headset, brake rotors, a seat, seals on a 888, cables, brake lines....when I was there and everything is double the price.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
ouch.

yeah The tires was something I was really worried about, but my friends have assured me they'll last...and since they've been there several times, I figure their right.

I have Kenda Nevegals, and my front is still good, but my rear has almost lost site of the little lines they have in the main center tread and are starting to rip, which worries me a bit because of braking.

I suppose since its a 24" (bighit...) I'll throw one of my old tires in my luggage.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
New tires and a DH tube in back if you can afford it. As far as brake pads go, I put new ones on last spring and rode the bike park 13 days, plus local riding, and a BC road trip, they needed to be replaced after that (in October). The guys that said new tires and brake pads before and after two days of riding are full of crap; unless your ride the brakes and skid the entire way down the trail both those parts could last for three weeks or more of solid riding in the bike park.

Most important thing is have fun and have a look at stuff before launching. I've heard too many "I crashed on my first run on A-line and got hurt" stories.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
who needs gears? and more than one set of brake pads? how are you guys riding? My m4's pads easily last a season.....I'd say put on some new rubber and fergitaboutit and have fun....

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Most important thing is have fun and have a look at stuff before launching. I've heard too many "I crashed on my first run on A-line and got hurt" stories.
Its funny you say that...All I've heard is thats its all fool proof safe stuff with infinant landings.
:bonk:

I figure my first time going down the trails I'll more or less roll stuff and kinda check it out as I go, then hit it on the next run.

Or if I'm really feeling the vibe, follow a friend and just do as they do...:biggrin:

P.S. I dont ride the brakes, I typically use them to get some control in gnar stuff, thats about it...so I'm not to worried...except I just found one of my bolt holes in my front caliper is stripped...:nopity:

dklopp

Chimp
May 1, 2007
Carnation/Spokane, WA, USA
you should be fine with what you have. but the best advice I can give (my first time was 2 weeks ago) is to 1. Bring spare parts and 2. wear all of your protective gear even if it is hot out.
I know #1 was already listed, but when I went I was amazed at the prices of everything. It is almost twice as expensive as around here and the exchange rate is almost 1 to 1. The cheapest gloves I found there were $40 and the cheapest goggles were $60. Don't forget anything at home.
When I rode there, I crashed on my last day and would have avoided injury if I had been wearing the right pads.
One more thing, be careful to not drop anything off of the lifts because you might not get it back (my friend learned the hard way when he dropped his goggles off the lift before the first run).

HAVE FUN!!! Just to let you know, my favorite trail was Freight Train (the trail I crashed on) mixed in with other trails until Dirt Merchant, and From DM to A-Line and then the GLC Drop.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
HAVE FUN!!! Just to let you know, my favorite trail was Freight Train (the trail I crashed on) mixed in with other trails until Dirt Merchant, and From DM to A-Line and then the GLC Drop.
freight train was fun, but my first time hitting the large table at the end I over shot way to much *landed flat basically* and crashed into the trees.

Oh, and I ended up using the chain breaker and spoke tensioner i brought...and that was it.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well.......I've never been to Whistler yet but on road trips I'll usually bring everything short of the kitchen sink. That's just me though.

But in all honesty, Tires/Tubes/Brake Pads would be the top 3 things I'd pick. If everything is properly maintained on your bike you should have little to worry about. If your rear shock is about to crap and you skip having it repaired well.......(you know what I mean). If something is obviously wrong before the trip it's not going to get better on the trip. I'd get everything working before heading out on a trip like that.

At least Whistler is big enough to have spare parts galore. Sure it costs more, but you'll spend a few extra $$$ to get fixed and keep riding. If your fork crapped out or something then I dunno what to tell you, but for the smallish parts it could be worst you know.

Have fun, don't beat yourself up on what to bring, just bring things you know you'll have to change and want spares of.

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
Is it possible to get a BoXXer WC rebuild in Whistler? Is there shops there that will do it? Dont have time before i leave. Going to be there Aug 30th - Sep 3rd if anyone wants to ride.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
just spent 7 days in the bikepark on a two year old highroller (in the back) and brakepads that have been going strong for this whole season. did end up missing some knobbies after it was all over, but it didn't affect my riding at all.