Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How big is;

A-line rock drop?

Clownshoes drop?

GLC drop?

Dirt Merchant rock drop?

No pinkbike measurements or MTBR measurements. Im just curious as to what people think.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
All to perfect backside, for the most part. I'd say the GLC drop is 3-4 feet, but it really depends on how you take it and where you land. They'd all be fun to go up on a moto.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
ThePriceSeliger said:
A-Line... 5 feet
Clownshoes... 7-8 feet
GLC... 5-7 feet
DM drop... 4-6
still being able to feel that sailing, mid-air sensation while blissfully daydreaming in the middle of winter about riding at Whistler...priceless.
:)

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Legally, from drop to begining to transition, they cant be larger than 8 feet due to liabilty. Thats why the Schley drop has a ladder. It is 12 feet. Anything large than 8 feet must have a ladder guiding it down. So nothing there is much bigger than 12 feet really. Thats why the clown shoes drop isn't any bigger than 8 feet. It would need a ladder under it. It is not 12 feet.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
ThePriceSeliger said:
Legally, from drop to begining to transition, they cant be larger than 8 feet due to liabilty. Thats why the Schley drop has a ladder. It is 12 feet. Anything large than 8 feet must have a ladder guiding it down. So nothing there is much bigger than 12 feet really. Thats why the clown shoes drop isn't any bigger than 8 feet. It would need a ladder under it. It is not 12 feet.
Who lands at the beginning of the clown shoes landing, is that even possible? It starts right underneath the ladder.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
NateH said:
Who lands at the beginning of the clown shoes landing, is that even possible? It starts right underneath the ladder.

Same with the GLC. Last summer we walked up to the GLC at night and looked at it. The drop to the ground was about 5-6 ft but most people hit it pretty fast.

The GLC drop is a lot bigger than you think.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Kanter said:
How big is;

A-line rock drop?

Clownshoes drop?

GLC drop?

Dirt Merchant rock drop?
QUOTE]

aline=??
cs= 7feet
glc=4feet
dm=4-5

i always bottom off the dirt merchant one though cause u come in pretty hot into that section

they are all pretty small

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
ThePriceSeliger said:
That is the legal aspect of the mountain. It can't be higher than 8 feet.
My point exactly, what type of measurements do you want, how far people are actually going or lip to ground.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Kanter said:
How big is;

A-line rock drop?

Clownshoes drop?

GLC drop?

Dirt Merchant rock drop?

No pinkbike measurements or MTBR measurements. Im just curious as to what people think.

Aline - 5 feet (hitting it on the far right, where there is the nice tranny)
Clownshoes - 8feet
GLC - 5 feet
Dirt Merchant - 4 feet

All these are estimates, from the end of the take-off, measured straight down until it hits tranny.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
A-line: about 6
Dirt Mercant: 2, 3, or the biggest part is maybe 6 or 7
GLC: about 4 or 5
Clown Shoes: 7-8

The drops up at Whistler kind of suck. Most of them have pretty crappy transitions. I've done the A-line drop a few times, but I always by pass it because its so harsh when you land. Whistler is a lot better for jumps and rockfaces in my opinion than drops. Did anyone get a chance to do the "Droppin' Clink" rack face? That was pretty fun.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
MOTODH said:
wow i thought whistler had bigger drops

interesting
No, your right. The Schleyer drop is around 12 feet. The mountain can have any size vertical drop, but if it is over 8 feet, it must have a guide down. The schleyer drop has a ladder under it allowing to be it. Same with the large side of the box. The drop off that is over 8 feet, there is a ladder down it.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
ThePriceSeliger said:
No, your right. The Schleyer drop is around 12 feet. The mountain can have any size vertical drop, but if it is over 8 feet, it must have a guide down. The schleyer drop has a ladder under it allowing to be it. Same with the large side of the box. The drop off that is over 8 feet, there is a ladder down it.

gotcha:thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
ThePriceSeliger said:
From the lip to landing.
The problem is that everyone lands in a different place, so lip to landing is not very accurate. Sit and watch different people hit GLC - for some it's like 4 feet and others launch closer to 8 or 9. When talking about what a specific rider did, lip-to-landing works fine but when talking about an obstacle I always just look at the measurable distance from lip to beginning of tranny, even though you can't really land there.

stinky6 said:
I've done the A-line drop a few times, but I always by pass it because its so harsh when you land.
I find that A-line, Dirt Merchant, and the GLC drops are all way smoother the faster you go, especially when you clear the ruts where lots of other people land.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
OGRipper said:
The problem is that everyone lands in a different place, so lip to landing is not very accurate. Sit and watch different people hit GLC - for some it's like 4 feet and others launch closer to 8 or 9. When talking about what a specific rider did, lip-to-landing works fine but when talking about an obstacle I always just look at the measurable distance from lip to beginning of tranny, even though you can't really land there.
I know I turned a simple question into a legal argument. You're right in that sense. People launch some of those drops, and some don't. The final point is, nothing has a legit size. Everything is different from person to person. I can say that the big GLC is 4 feet from lip-to-tranny, but in reality, I personally have seen myself on video, and going around 8 feet to the lower area of the tranny. Speed is your friend in Whistler though. Everything is possible at any speed, and everything is smoother when you are going faster.

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
My personal opinion is that you don't go to Whistler to do drops, you go there to ride fast and hit big jumps and berms, which is what they have. I've found most of their drops to have too shallow of landings, and drops hardly allow for any hang-time, so I quit doing them. You can roll the A-line drop so I usually do that one. All of the good drops there are roped off - like the road gap for instance. I wish they'd just let people hit everything at their own discression. I was seriously thinking about hitting the road gap, but I didn't want my pass pulled. That thing looks buttery.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
kail said:
My personal opinion is that you don't go to Whistler to do drops, you go there to ride fast and hit big jumps and berms, which is what they have. I've found most of their drops to have too shallow of landings, and drops hardly allow for any hang-time, so I quit doing them. You can roll the A-line drop so I usually do that one. All of the good drops there are roped off - like the road gap for instance. I wish they'd just let people hit everything at their own discression. I was seriously thinking about hitting the road gap, but I didn't want my pass pulled. That thing looks buttery.
I actually think you might get more than your pass pulled. you are jeperdizing the mountain if you did that. Seriosly. If something were to happen and you got hurt, you would sue the mountain, even if it was ropped off. All-in-all, your jeperdizing the mountain for everyone. That is the worst case senario also. I'm not judging your abilities either, I'm just saying.

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
The A-line drop always seemed much tougher and scarier than GLC because the transition is shorter and then you have to hit a quick lefthand berm right after. You can just rip GLC at pretty much any speed you want as there is an unlimited transition. These two aren't even in the same league in terms of difficulty.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
glc: 5
aline:5-6, but sketch tranny/berm/merge situation, so its harder than it sounds
dm: 6-7, if you take it right
clownshoes: the way people drop it, id say 10-12, but i agree that it is about 8' lip to landing straight up and down.

i agree that whistler is fun for the speed, the smooth berms, jumps, and rollers just make the trails so much fun. the faster you go the higher, you can fly through it, and still be fine

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
ThePriceSeliger said:
I actually think you might get more than your pass pulled. you are jeperdizing the mountain if you did that. Seriosly. If something were to happen and you got hurt, you would sue the mountain, even if it was ropped off. All-in-all, your jeperdizing the mountain for everyone. That is the worst case senario also. I'm not judging your abilities either, I'm just saying.

Are you saying that I personally would sue the mountain or are you saying people in general would? Because I can tell you right now I'd be the last person to sue someone for my own actions. Plus, I believe in Canada, if you sign a waiver, which you are basically doing by purchasing a lift ticket, you can't go back and sue. Period. It's not like the U.S. where your word means nothing. I chose not to do the gap because I've done an identical one at home, so I didn't feel a real need to do this Whistler one, especially being so far from home. And I didn't want to push their buttons. I just wish people could hold themselves responsible for their own actions. Anyone that attempts a stunt like that, especially if it's roped off, and then sues a resort when they get hurt, deserves to be paralyzed, in my opinion. That may sound harsh, but I'm sick of greedy, irresponsible people ruining it for everyone here in the U.S.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
kail said:
Are you saying that I personally would sue the mountain or are you saying people in general would? Because I can tell you right now I'd be the last person to sue someone for my own actions. Plus, I believe in Canada, if you sign a waiver, which you are basically doing by purchasing a lift ticket, you can't go back and sue. Period. It's not like the U.S. where your word means nothing. I chose not to do the gap because I've done an identical one at home, so I didn't feel a real need to do this Whistler one, especially being so far from home. And I didn't want to push their buttons. I just wish people could hold themselves responsible for their own actions. Anyone that attempts a stunt like that, especially if it's roped off, and then sues a resort when they get hurt, deserves to be paralyzed, in my opinion. That may sound harsh, but I'm sick of greedy, irresponsible people ruining it for everyone here in the U.S.
Partially true there are caveats. An adult who is knowlingly partaking in something dangerous cannot sue (well, will likely not win)

That said, insurance companies still get itchy and raise rates if suing becomes more common. This happened in the summer when someone crashed in onterrible. Guys crashes, threatens to sue,, really no chance of winning, but the insurance for the owner of the lang goes up. In a lot of cases, regardless of liability, the person injured will still get some coin, to save on potential insurance costs.

No one deserves to be paralyzed, I just wish more people took personal responsibility back to being personal.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Sorry toshi. I was just googling looking for some shots to show the drops. I removed it.

For the record, thats a sweet shot of clownshoes. Great perspective to really show its size.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
thanks. funny thing was that it was the blurriest one of the bunch...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Still, most of the time its some shot from the front, which makes the drop look tiny. Your shot of aline on your site kicks ass too (the real closeup of the rock). Good shooting :)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
surfinguru said:
(...or the more of a slower speed drop off the cornice of the big rock?)

This is the drop I was talking about. It looks to be the size of Clownshoes.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
kail said:
Not you personally. I'm speaking in generalities. I understand what you mean about dumb people doing dumb things. I know about the waiver as well you sign, but you can still threaten, and insurance prices for the mountain go up.