Quantcast

Whistler Advice

ILikeFood

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm planning a week long trip up to Whistler with a bunch of friends the first week of August. I'm looking for some advice since I basically know nothing about the resort...

1) Should we rent a car? We can take a bus from Vancouver airport (about $130 CDN), but would we need a car once we get there? It's going to be expensive ($400CDN), as we will probably need van...

2) What's the best way to fly with a DH bike? How much are the airlines raping us for these days?

3) I want to do a couple of day trips from Whistler, what would you guys recommend? I've always wanted to heli-bike, anyone done any of the trips from Whistler? What's the one to do?

4) What clinics are good to take? I've heard all sorts of stuff of pro-guy teaching whatever, what clinics are the bomb?

5) I want to get a place with a kitchen, is there a grocery store in Whistler Village?

6) Banshee Chaparral w/Z150 or Armageddon w/888? I'm guessing the DH bike for 5-6 days of solid riding...but are there trails with climbs that are worth it?

Thanks,
food

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
1 - Check with the airporter but they used to charge for bikes. Increasing the cost a bit more
2 - no clue
3 - The heli bike is expensive. I would try to get up to pemberton. Lots of natural terrain that is really steep and fun from what I hear (man I need a car)
4 - www.whistlerblackcomb.com/bike/ check there. The clinic they offer is good.
5 - Yep. Us locals need to eat too...there is even 2 in the village and 1 just outside ;)
6 - Armegeddon is almost overkill in the first place. You could easily ride everything on whistler mountain with the Banshee anyways. Thats why so many people use ht's. And yes imo opinion there are trails in whistler worth pedalling. But then again I spend most of my time in the valley and not on the mountain

Cheers

Bump...as one of the "bunch of friends" going, there's got to be more :monkey:'s out there with highly formed opinions about Whistler gear and activities! :D

..And personally, my choices for rides are:
  • Moutain Cycle 9.5 with a Shiver and single ring, built for DH
  • Planet-X Compo with a 6" Boxxer, double ring, built with please-thrash-me parts and meant for just about anything (that the pilot can handle, that is)
  • Balfa Minuteman, 24" wheels (thanx to Kanter; I'll post a pic, I promise!), currently with a 100mm ShiverSC, set up as a single-speed (Profile cranks, Blackspire DS guide w/32t ring and 18t cog in back); meant (right now) as a dirt jumper mainly.

I have a Foes F1-XL that I could put on any of the above bikes. Recommendations from those that feel strongly about HT's vs. FS's at Whistler? I really love the HT's, but I'm a little concerned that six consecutive days of riding on my 36 year-old bones will be a bit much in terms of - after the first couple of full days or so - being able to do much more than drink beer and sit in a hot tub. ...Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

The 9.5 is awesome, but compared to the crisp handling and in-flight dynamics of either of the HT's, it's a bit like driving a tank in comparison.

TIA for any help! :thumb:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
People may not be posting cause there are tonnes of questions like this often. All of us have answered multiple times about all of those questions (even the flight one)

The guys riding ht's at whistler are really experienced riders on the mountain (and used to the arthritis it causes ;)). It takes a lot to ride a ht due to the braking bumps. Whistler is great for ht's except that one point. Ideally a mid travel bike is probably best for all of the mountain. I do know a guy who runs 24" wheels on his HT, rips it up better than most. It is possible and is done but personally mid travel is sooo nice :)...especially at my size.

Thanx. :D

...Although, after having just sold off my mid-travel FS bike, the "mid-travel is ideal" concept is a bit of a bummer. Figures :rolleyes:

Looks like I'll err on the side of comfort and ride the 9.5. It'll probably feel a bit snappier after I lose the brick Intense FRO tires.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Hey 9inches will work. And will be tonnes of fun. Don't get me wrong there. I was just saying you don't NEED it. Whistler is pretty groomed and a-line to me is more of a highway then a trail :)...

Personally, for me, I think a ht would be harder than its worth. I would rather ride a sofa (my pet name for 9in travel bikes) then a ht on the mountain.

Cool. :thumb: Sofa riding it is, then. :D

And you're right, when you get right down to it, there are few situations where you really need travel (sofa-sized or otherwise); it's just a matter of comfort. Mega-squish definitely helps make up for my shortcomings as a rider, whereas riding a HT helps (in some instances) correct those shortcomings rather than simply compensate for them. Gotta love the philosophical aspects of simply getting down (or up) the mountain... :D

Ruprick

Chimp
Apr 28, 2004
kootenay
I grew up and learned to ride in the Vancouver area and just returned on a road trip, spending two days in Whistler and three on the shore. My advice would be to ride North Van, Squamish, Pemberton and anywhere else in the valley. For a similar cost to lift tickets you could hire a guide to do shuttles on hand crafted trails built by chainsaw weilding bike loving ninjas. Whistler is fun and the scenery is spectacular, but the other places have a lot more local culture and heritage that makes BC truly beautiful.

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
I've gone to whistler with some buddies for the past 4 summers, at first for a week but it stretched to two full weeks last summer. Here's my advice:

take the Perimiter shuttle from the airport to the village. it's a bit of extra $$ but they drop you off right at your place of lodging and it's just another thing you don't have to worry about. Make sure and tell the person that you have bikes when you book, even though they won't tell anyone else :(

Goto your local LBS and see if they'll rent you a bike transport box large enough for a DH rig. I personally use a CrateWorks corrugated plastic case, which is short money if you plan on flying a lot with your bike. I do have to fully disassemble my bullit w/superT to get it in there though.

If you have a bunch of people rent a condo, I recommend Glaciers Reach. A few of the condo developments have laundry right in the room, which is a plus if it rains on you and you get mudded up. Every condo we've stayed in has had a full kitchen, and there are a few grociery stores in the village.

If this is your first time going out there then you'll probably have your hands full just riding the park without any day trips...but if you stop in some of the bike shops in the village the wrenches will be more than happy to help you plan some outside whister activities (I recommend Evolution, they've always treated us well)

my pizza just got here..that's it for now

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Take the FS.

However.. there are tonnes of places worth riding other than the bike park, even the trails that are in Whistler valley are all good to ride. So maybe something that you can stick a granny ring on for the pedalling up...

Day trips.. Pemberton is so worth it, I love the trails there. Squamish is a great place to ride too. Both places have great trail maps and the locals at the bike stores will happily help you out.

Heli-biking... ask around when you get to Whistler. There are some tame drops with more XC style downhills and there's some more HC stuff that they can drop you onto. Ask around and see what kind of deal you can get.

As for getting up there.. take the bus. You can enjoy the view on the highway then. ;)

You won't need a car when you're in the village (grocery store etc all really close) but if you want to get to Pemberton or Squamish you'll need to organise something. Unless you go with a guided outfit.

As for accom with a kitchen, most places in Whistler with have that. However DO go and check out Shakespears pies. Tasty post bar eats. :D

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Hmmm...pies...thanx you just gave me my idea for lunch. I have been sitting here trying to figure out what to eat....

hmmmm pies...

ILikeFood

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks for the recommendations... I think the woman I spoke to on the phone recommended the Tantalus lodge which has a full kitchen, didn't ask about laundry though.

This week I'm going to round up some sort of way of packing up my bike. I don't think it's going to fit in a standard case, so I'll probably just pack it well in a cardboard bike box.

I'm crazy stoked to go, it's been my dream for years to ride up in BC. I will definitely look at Pemberton and for some guided/shuttles around the area. I'm all about exploring.

thanks again,
food

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Tantalus lodge is a good one. Damn close to the village and you can, in a round about way, bike right into the back of it :)

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I second the sofa advice. People get into this stupid bs about how tough they are when they can ride Whistler on a little bike, and the ability to throw them around easily is nice but to me it comes down to the ability to ride all weekend without getting beat up.

I see a lot of people ride short travel bikes and hard tails on the mountain that live here and put in full days, I see just as many people who don't live here bring up a small bike and get worn out after half a day. Come to Whistler and you're likely to put in a lot more runs that you normally do in a weekend. Bring a big bike and you'll still be smiling at the end of day two.