Quantcast

Which tires combo is best for Sunday?

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
I am using the Maxxis High roller 3C now and I will like switch to using the Minion F 3C at the Front & rear!

Does it make any traction difference and pedaling efficiency. I know the minion is better pedal due to the knobs side.

Any buddies use this combo? please leave your comment!

CJM

Chimp
Aug 28, 2007
the hight rollers will roll faster, there more of an intermediate tyre so hard pack, tacky ground or thin mud(i mean like water on rock kinda thing). Minions are for dry loose dusty or loamy contitions.

basically where theres loose cornering the minion will drift more consistently and better and generaly bite in but high rollers will be fast rolling on hard pack and work in most conditions other than propper mud. Its good to have a pair of both.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
yea i used the minion 3c f on front and rear this season. I liked it a lot actually, they got a few races a lot of local riding and about 8 days of whistler, and still have usuable tread left. Its probally the best tire setup ive used, a little drifty i think :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
What about the new Maxxis tire... Also did anybody see that one guy at Diablo this weekend on sunday he had a rear flat from the start and he was moving probably would beat any time I can put up...

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
the F in Miniond DHF does not stand for 'front'; same goes for the R not standing for rear in DHR. The difference is based on conditions to be raced in.

DHF: http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicycle/product_detail.asp?id=228

DHR: http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicycle/product_detail.asp?id=229

basically, DHF designed for NORBA (US courses) and DHR for UCI (europe & everywhere else)

hahahaha... that's what they are saying now, since to one will ride the DHR's

it was indeed developed as a rear tire, and the DHF was the fron version... they marketed them like this for years

i guess they needed to make up a new use for it, in hopes that some fool will buy it... what a joke

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
hahahaha... that's what they are saying now, since to one will ride the DHR's

it was indeed developed as a rear tire, and the DHF was the fron version... they marketed them like this for years

i guess they needed to make up a new use for it, in hopes that some fool will buy it... what a joke
yep, what he said.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
the F in Miniond DHF does not stand for 'front'; same goes for the R not standing for rear in DHR. The difference is based on conditions to be raced in.

DHF: http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicycle/product_detail.asp?id=228

DHR: http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicycle/product_detail.asp?id=229

basically, DHF designed for NORBA (US courses) and DHR for UCI (europe & everywhere else)

That is some funny stuff. Dirt must be very different in Europe. Funny how none of the WC pros use DHRs in Europe, maybe Maxxis forgot to tell them about it's European advantage?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
or cut down wet screams as sam has been rocking during the past season at alot of the races (wet or not)
you guys know that we live in a global economy, correct?

these days you can pretty much buy anything from anywhere... it is really really easy to get wet screams delivered to your front door no matter where you live... and they are well worth it in the mud and loam

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I ran trimmed Wet-Screams in a BONE dry race in NC and they rocked! The course was puffy loam and grass. It was like cheating.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
How are people cutting Wet Screams? Are you just trimming down the center knobs so they roll better?
yup, just cut them down a bit, almost half way

this is a great setup in the dry if the dirt is soft and/or loamy, or there is a lot of grass, etc... and it will not kill you in the rocks

leave the knobs full length if it is really muddy though