Quantcast

Which is the better bicycle? A new Schwinn Midmoor or a 2007 KHS TC 150?

sunwu

Chimp
Jan 20, 2012
I am looking for a "comfort" bicycle for daily 20 - 30 mile rides. I have been looking at bikes and had decided on a new Schwinn Midmoor, which I can purchase for about $220 plus tax. However, I recently came across an offer to purchase a used (2007) KHS TC-150 for about the same price as the Schwinn. A new KHS TC-150 would run about $450 so I'm wondering if it would be a better value to purchase the KHS, assuming it is in very good condition. I don't know much about bikes so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
You are not going to want a $200 comfort bike for 20-30 miles per day riding. Comfort bikes are great for 2 or 3 miles, but the inefficient upright position is far from ideal for longer rides. Also, the components on a cheap department store bike will wear out very quickly and be far heavier than they need to be. For 100+ miles per week you should be looking at a used, high quality road bike. You'll have to spend more than $200, but it will be money well spent. I would recommend a drop bar bike, with at least shimano 105 component level, but you can go with a flat bar road bike if you are riding in an urban setting. The extra hand positions offered by drop bars help a lot for comfort and aerodynamics on longer rides though. Lastly, fit is extremely important, and should not be overlooked when searching for a bike.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I would strongly recommend against a department store bike. Not only are they crap but most of them aren't assembled correctly. Ask any shop. They will tell you they get at least one person a week asking to have their brand new $200 Wal-Mart bike fixed and/or reassembled. Then they think they are getting ripped off when they learn it will cost $150 to fix it. Many shops won't even look at a department store bike because they know the owners won't pay more than $50 to fix it.

My wife got a brand new Trek 1000SL for $550. Shop around and you should be able to get a nice road bike for under $800.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Look for used.

There is someone who decided after 6 rides, biking is not for them.

You can find a good deal on Craigslist or even Ebay.

Jan 28, 2012
I should have known. I'm sick of people who claim if you don't have a bike that costs at least $1500 you don't have a bike worth riding.

The Craigslist suggestion is GREAT advice. The bike you buy from there is probably stolen, and don't forget, a little bondo and paint will hide most frame damage. The "high end" or "good" Shimano components WILL be worn out. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "GOOD" SHIMANO COMPONENT! ANYTHING MARKED SHIMANO IS JUNK!!!
Yes, that is based on FORTY YEARS experience with Shimano garbage.

I notice that the Specialized, FELT, and other bikes in the $500 to $1200 range at bike shops have bottom line Shimano group sets - the same as on a Walmart bike.

I have a Pacific "Vertical PK-7" full suspension mountain bike, 7000 series aluminum front frame, steel rear triangle, I have put roughly 8,000 miles on it, with no trouble other than a couple flat tires. What did I pay for it? $88.00 on sale at Target!

I know all my bikes are "junk" because I did not pay enough for them; 2003 Giant Cypress DX, 1989 KHS Montana Summit, 1984 Fuji Mt. Fuji, Who knows what year Huffy "Key Largo" beach cruiser, the PK-7, Miami Sun adult trike (only have around 45,000 miles on it) bit NOTHING I have is RELIABLE according to the SNOBS because it may have come from a big box store. Guess what?!? The Giant came from a bike shop, I bought it NEW, it has the fewest miles on it of all my bikes because of all the problems with it; bad tires, wheels, shift cables, shifters.

This is my first and probably last post at this forum. The mods will probably ban me.

ANY bike is better than NO bike! If it fits you and is comfortable, then get it. I've ridden my Miami Sun adult trike on several 30 mile plus rides per day for years. You cannot GET more "upright" than riding a trike. the original "tractor seat" was replaced wit ha standard seat the day I bought the trike. I have ridden it over 45,000 miles; it is my "go to first" since it is so dang handy and carries everything I need it to.

You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good reliable bike. Only a fool will tell you that you do.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I should have known. I'm sick of people who claim if you don't have a bike that costs at least $1500 you don't have a bike worth riding.

The Craigslist suggestion is GREAT advice. The bike you buy from there is probably stolen, and don't forget, a little bondo and paint will hide most frame damage. The "high end" or "good" Shimano components WILL be worn out. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "GOOD" SHIMANO COMPONENT! ANYTHING MARKED SHIMANO IS JUNK!!!
Yes, that is based on FORTY YEARS experience with Shimano garbage.

I notice that the Specialized, FELT, and other bikes in the $500 to $1200 range at bike shops have bottom line Shimano group sets - the same as on a Walmart bike.

I have a Pacific "Vertical PK-7" full suspension mountain bike, 7000 series aluminum front frame, steel rear triangle, I have put roughly 8,000 miles on it, with no trouble other than a couple flat tires. What did I pay for it? $88.00 on sale at Target!

I know all my bikes are "junk" because I did not pay enough for them; 2003 Giant Cypress DX, 1989 KHS Montana Summit, 1984 Fuji Mt. Fuji, Who knows what year Huffy "Key Largo" beach cruiser, the PK-7, Miami Sun adult trike (only have around 45,000 miles on it) bit NOTHING I have is RELIABLE according to the SNOBS because it may have come from a big box store. Guess what?!? The Giant came from a bike shop, I bought it NEW, it has the fewest miles on it of all my bikes because of all the problems with it; bad tires, wheels, shift cables, shifters.

This is my first and probably last post at this forum. The mods will probably ban me.

ANY bike is better than NO bike! If it fits you and is comfortable, then get it. I've ridden my Miami Sun adult trike on several 30 mile plus rides per day for years. You cannot GET more "upright" than riding a trike. the original "tractor seat" was replaced wit ha standard seat the day I bought the trike. I have ridden it over 45,000 miles; it is my "go to first" since it is so dang handy and carries everything I need it to.

You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good reliable bike. Only a fool will tell you that you do.
Yea, I heard that Wal-Mart will have a team on the Tour this year.