Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
tuledhr said:
I want to buy one of them,
witch one is better?
and what size do i need? (i'm 5'7" )
At 5"7, you could ride the small or medium DHR, depending on how you like your bike to feel.
They are both great bikes. The M3's are new, but the people on them really seem to like them.
I have been on DHR's for years, so I can't comment on anything else.
The DHR with the DHX on it is one sweet riding rig though. :)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
PoserNewbie said:
I think you can't go wrong with either bike. It all comes down to preference and probably price (I believe the DHR is cheaper MSRP wise).
Exactly

I've ridden a small M3 (a little tight for me but the guy who owns it is the same size as I am) and I was REALLY impressed. This sounds stupid but the bike "climbed" better than my DHR with a Fox vanilla DH shock (M3 had a swinger). The short sprints up rock faces I did on his bike seemed like a better power transfer. I do have my bike setup for zero resistence on pedaling though.

To be honest, it's the only bike I've ridden that even sparked my interest outside of my own bike. I'm not selling my Turner, I still love everything about it but if I were getting another bike, I don't think I'd be upset with buying either.

Price on the M3 is a little steep though.

Something to consider though that would be a concern in my eyes is customer service between the companies. I've NEVER heard of a bad experience with Turner. I most certainly have heard plenty of complaints with Intense....mostly dealing with M1s.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I have no experience with the M3 to give any advice between the 2. But will ask, have you really looked at geometry to help with the desision?? Aside from them being different suspension designs, the geometry could also be very different. Ive known a few people that wouldnt ride the most perfect designed suspension in the world, if the bikes geometry wasnt what they liked, or were used to. So spend some good time at least knowing what the bikes #'s are on paper.

Im 5'10 and ride the Med DHR with a 8" DH40 in its stock crown setting, with a 50mm stem and it feels perfect.

Turner CS is also top notch. Cant speak for Intense personally, but as mentioned there have been some complaints in the past on the M1's (but thats forum speak so who knows how bad it really is..). I cant recall ever reading a bad report on turner CS.

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
WOW, there is a video that will teach this person to post question in the appropriat way, its called, "posting and you" I think. He really needs tp watch it. Does anyone know what I am talkin about??

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Turners are awesome bikes and are a bit cheaper then the M3's. Either bike though you get a race worthy and proven machine. Both company's are known for decent CS (turner more so then intense but its a person to person thing) Go to a trail ride each one and judge for yourself.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
renegade999 said:
I've had nothing but good experiences with Intense costumer service.
I guess I should add this..........

My buddy who has the M3 got it as a replacement for his old M1. That's right....straight up exchange.

BUT......this was after about 2 years of riding an M1 that was 1)misaligned and 2)put the rear tire firmly against the seat tower at about 8 inches of travel. He waited this entire time for a replacement front triangle. Cracked a seatstay in the process and went through an unbelievable amount of sucking up/"keeping in touch" forever to make the replacement happen.

I've got two friends (anyone in So Cal know Joel Baty?) who lost almost entire summers waiting for replacement front triangles due to cracked headtubes.

I wouldn't say all who own Intense bikes have been shafted, but some have....more so than folks on Turners. I personally love the way Intense bikes ride and it really would be a tough choice between the two bikes. Especially since I've seen no problems with the M3 frames from the 2 people I know who have them. There are a LOT of happy intense riders out there.

tacobelldhr

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
lake forest
both bikes are durable, work great, look great, a dhr is a simple reliable bike not saying anything about the m3 also a great bike but you do have alot of link's,virtual pivot etc to make the bike work. you cant go wrong with either bike whatever you feel money wise.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
yeah it's kinda like saying what's better a Granny Smith or Golden Delicous apple it's all personal preference and what ya got to spend.

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Zutroy said:
yeah it's kinda like saying what's better a Granny Smith or Golden Delicous apple it's all personal preference and what ya got to spend.
Well that depends. Golden Delicious are great to eat off the core, but they lose their taste when cooked. Granny Smith are great for cooking (apple pancakes, mmmmmm), but are a bit too bitter to be eaten plain.

What's the moral? DHRs are better for cooking, M3s are better plain. :D

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
If Turner sold anywhere near the amount of bikes Intense Cycles did there would be bad web speak. Both are nice bikes, but I would take the M3 (or any other Intense) over a Turner anyday. From the behind the scenes stuff I have seen in the pits over the years, what I have seen in bike shops, what I have seen on the trail...Intense wins anyway.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Headsup that Supergo has DHRs at $1500 now. That is...if you're having to buy the bike at retail pricing to begin with. ;)

But like everybody else has said, it seems you can't really go wrong either way. I've never ridden either, but I dunno... it seems like you might just wanna compare the different ride characteristics of each and what you like best as far as those go. Sorry I'm so bad at advice. :p

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
stiksandstones said:
If Turner sold anywhere near the amount of bikes Intense Cycles did there would be bad web speak. Both are nice bikes, but I would take the M3 (or any other Intense) over a Turner anyday. From the behind the scenes stuff I have seen in the pits over the years, what I have seen in bike shops, what I have seen on the trail...Intense wins anyway.
I totally agree. I've had only positive experiences with them. A year ago, I called them to see if I could get a couple of spare pivot bolts for my Spider, and they sent me a bag full of everything to replace all of the pivots, bolts, and spacers on 2 bikes. And Intense only sold like 200 medium M3 frames......in February alone! That's astronomical for a small(ish)company like them.

Oh yeah, I love my M3. Doesn't say much, since it is my 1st and only DH bike so far. But everyone who rides it loves it.

Mike

krustydude

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
Richland, WA
i ride and love turners and my buddy rides intenses. i made a run on his m3 and the pedaling is unbelievable. when you pedal the bike shoots forward. my dhr pedals decent but compared to the m3 it feels sluggish. we both ride mediums and his cockpit feels cramped to me and we're both 5'9". he used to ride an m1 and it felt the same to me. i love how roomy my dhr is without seeming long. the rear end is also very wide on the m3 and when trying to manuver through technical sections the heel of my back foot would be right on the chainstay. this bothered me and him at first, but probably just something you would get used to. like everyone says though it's all about personal preferance.

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
other than the pedaling it has to be said that the M3 is unbelievable in rough bits. Haven't tried a turner for long enough to judge.
I had an M1 before my M3, and the difference is biggest on real rocky, rooty chopped up terrain. It gave me so much more confidence over the M1 that i find the pedaling argument less important that the axle path thingy that makes the bike so stable and fast tru rock gardens etc.
I don't know about turner at all, but an M3 will leave you nothing to desire for in a DH frame. Apart from a narrower rear end.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
stiksandstones said:
If Turner sold anywhere near the amount of bikes Intense Cycles did there would be bad web speak. QUOTE]

Whoa man, have you actually taken a look at what people are riding these days? When it comes to high end bikes, they are more Turners on the trails than anything else. If you want proof of this (well e-proof anyway) go to MTBR manufacturer forums and check out the activity. Turner has 36,000 posts, and Intense has 6,000, and most of the Turner's threads start out:
Check out my new 5-spot etc..etc..
Turner has sold a gazillion of those things, and for good reason.
Their customer service is legendary, and they make some of the best riding bikes on the planet.
And I have owned 3 Intense bikes over the years, and have owned 6 Turners all together, and just from personal experience my Turners have been flawless. I had pretty good luck with Intense trail bikes as well, but the M1 was a different story. They were welded crooked, headtubes were cracking, and the chainstays on those things did more breaking than Turbo and Ozone in Electric Boogaloo. And I know of guys who personally waited for a year to get some kind of warranty frame out of them last year
As far as sales numbers, I would love to see those as well, because I know they have changed over the years. Last year, half of the Pro and Semi-Pro field was running DHRs.
Anyway, I do like both companies though, and I like how Steber is hands on at the races. I have seen him cleaning mud out of Kovarik's tires before. And I do think the new M3 is sweet, I just wanted to point out that Turners reputation is not hype, it has been earned one rider at a time.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
Ahhhh, I hate posting on these kinds of forums cuz I always get shot down...But hey, here goes:

I rode a Turner last year and had the best season ever! Top 3 finishes in ALL my races....But I'll stop with the stories:
M3:
-Pedals better than my '04 Turner
-Is 100 times better in the rocks and rough stuff
-Don't ask me how, but it corners better than my Turner
-My complete M3 is much lighter than my DHR
-Geometry is insane!

Some minor flaws:
-Heels hit on the rear swingarm, I got used to moving my heels out a bit though.
-Crank/chainguide need some modifying to work smoothly.
-THe damn thing sounds like a cowbell going down the hill1!!

Ya, I have had an excellent season so far :thumb:

Jou

Monkey
May 16, 2004
Powell/Laramie, Wyoming
yonton228 said:
WOW, there is a video that will teach this person to post question in the appropriat way, its called, "posting and you" I think. He really needs tp watch it. Does anyone know what I am talkin about??
Do you ever post anything other than telling them they are a newb or to search?