Quantcast

Where to start

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm looking to build a MINI ATX system.

Any suggestions on bare bone systems to start with?

I want it to be able to hook up to my wireless network, play DVD's on a TV, and play video and music files from my main computer.

I've built a couple larger systems so I know my way around the guts of a computer.

What should I keep in mind when spec'ing out parts for a HTPC?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I wouldn't start with a bare bones system. Pick out all of your components.

Something to keep in mind with a system like this is noise. You want it to be quiet. That means that your case fans should be 120mm (12cm) fans, do not buy anything with fans smaller than that. Also, I'd recommend an AMD Athlon dual core processor since they support Cool & Quiet, which throttles the processor back when it's idle, cutting the amount of heat generated.

I think this case here looks like it's pretty damn good:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129014

Look at some of the other threads here. There's a bunch of information about HTPCs.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
I wouldn't start with a bare bones system. Pick out all of your components.

Something to keep in mind with a system like this is noise. You want it to be quiet. That means that your case fans should be 120mm (12cm) fans, do not buy anything with fans smaller than that. Also, I'd recommend an AMD Athlon dual core processor since they support Cool & Quiet, which throttles the processor back when it's idle, cutting the amount of heat generated.

I think this case here looks like it's pretty damn good:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129014

Look at some of the other threads here. There's a bunch of information about HTPCs.
Ok cool, I didn't even think to search this forum.

Wow, the price went down on thoes cases.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:
What about a quiet power supply?
Yep, that's the other major source of noise.

Just remember that the bigger the fan, the slower it can turn to still move the same amount of air. So a power supply with a 63mm fan will likely be noisier than a power supply with an 80mm fan. That's not necessarily 100% true, but it's a good rule of thumb.

Check out www.silentpcreview.com for in depth reviews of the quietest cases, power supplies and components. Don't get too caught up in it, because it'd be easy to spend a ton of money, but there is a lot of good information there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Incidentally, that particular case I linked to has Antec Tri Cool fans which have fan controllers built right into them. They have a low/med/high setting.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Noise in your PC is coming from one of three major places:

Your case fans
Your CPU cooler
Your power supply

Case fans are cheap. Replace the ones you have with 120mm case fans from Scythe.

If it's your CPU cooler, buy a new one that will fit an 80mm or 120mm fan. Thermaltake, Zalman and Scythe all make good coolers that aren't noisy.

Replacing your power supply would be expensive but the above two places are the most likely sources of the majority of noise.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
You shouldn't have to do anything to get a quiet system. My mini-itx system is cooled by a single 40mm fan on the processor.
Fanless powersupplies have more than enough juice especially if you use laptop drives.
Cases should be ready to run straight out the box, no need to add fans.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
hehehe... My apartment is hovering around 95 degrees right now so my case fans (variable RPM w/ temp sensor) are going NUTZ right now. I've got 3 120mm, 2 80mm in the PSU, and a 90mm on the CPU cooler. I can hear my 'puter, but considering the ambient air temp, I'm glad I can hear them.
Another trick is to peel the sticker from the fan and add a drop of Tri Flow in the bearings. Just remember to seal it back up again tho. I've done this to my GPU, North bridge, CPU, all 120mm case fans and it is a noticable difference in the noise reduction.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Pau11y said:
hehehe... My apartment is hovering around 95 degrees right now so my case fans (variable RPM w/ temp sensor) are going NUTZ right now. I've got 3 120mm, 2 80mm in the PSU, and a 90mm on the CPU cooler. I can hear my 'puter, but considering the ambient air temp, I'm glad I can hear them.
Another trick is to peel the sticker from the fan and add a drop of Tri Flow in the bearings. Just remember to seal it back up again tho. I've done this to my GPU, North bridge, CPU, all 120mm case fans and it is a noticable difference in the noise reduction.
awesome, thanks for the advice!