Quantcast

Where to get unprotected digital music legally?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
alrite, ive had itunes for a while, and today i bought music from it. i tried to use a cd burner outside of itunes, and it wouldn't let me (it's a protected AAC file). the only thing i can think of to get around it is to burn a CD and then rip the songs. i saw one other program that captures the audio of the computer and records, but i dont want to lose that much quality. is there a place to buy music and download it where i actually get to use what i bought?

thanks,
pat

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Burn your AAC's then rerip them and they are unprotected. All of the purchasing services use protected mp3 files so basically thats it. Also you can find some programs online thatll let u just unencript the files but im not sure where you can find those.

rvlacich

Chimp
Jan 18, 2004
Maryland, USA
www.allofmp3.com is probably the only place.

It depends how you care to think of it, but AllOfMP3 may not be what you desire. If you're looking for a service that won't land you in a court room, it should do the trick. If you're looking for a way to support your favorite artists when you buy music, look elsewhere. From what I gather, Russia's copyright laws allow that site to resell music, even though the record companies/artists don't get a cut.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
If I remember correctly, www.emusic.com has unprotected .mp3 downloads. Their catalog is mostly indie and older mainstream stuff. If you're looking for something like the latest "system of a limp tool" record, you won't find it here.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
NRSracer said:
alrite, ive had itunes for a while, and today i bought music from it. i tried to use a cd burner outside of itunes, and it wouldn't let me (it's a protected AAC file). the only thing i can think of to get around it is to burn a CD and then rip the songs. i saw one other program that captures the audio of the computer and records, but i dont want to lose that much quality. is there a place to buy music and download it where i actually get to use what i bought?

thanks,
pat
You can use a program called hymn to strip the protections off of the AAC file. You can only do this to files you bought, not those others bought. Then you should be able to burn/play/whatever...

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Barbaton said:
You can use a program called hymn to strip the protections off of the AAC file. You can only do this to files you bought, not those others bought. Then you should be able to burn/play/whatever...
that's perfect.

thanks a lot

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
just used that program and its awesome, it even lets you strip the file so no one will ever know it was protected

i recommend it to anyone that buys music off of iTunes

pat