Quantcast

When servicing...base oil on volume or height from top of stanchion?

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
Just serviced a '11 boxxer rc today, and the manual calls for 290ml on the damper side stanchion.

I pumped the damper rod to circulate the oil, then measured the oil height from the top of the fork leg.

manual calls for 290ml of fluid, and a height of 105mm from the top. with 290ml of oil poured in, the height of the oil is actually around 85mm from the top of the leg. 20mm height difference is pretty significant. The fork was completely disassembled and drained/cleaned, so there wasn't any excess oil from prior use.

Which is the correct(er) method? I'm assuming the taller height in the leg is going to have a more pronounced effect on damping than volume, and thus should have a larger priority.

thoughts?

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You're going to be able to measure volume more accurately. Go with that.

In any case, the Boxxer is an open bath so the exact oil volume isn't as critical as it is in a cartridge damper where any air in it is bad.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
On open bath systems I have always gone with oil height. Too much oil height, too little oil height can seriously change the characteristics of the fork.
If you're way off, sure. But a little doesn't matter so much.

samnation

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Somewhere in KANURDUR
Whichever works for your settings. I would assume that you are fairly safe to play with the 20mm of height to change up your damping a bit.

That said I ALWAYS go by volume. Except for as mentioned cartridges where it needs to be full.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Changing the oil height won't affect the damping so long as you have the minimum amount necessary to submerge the damper. Rather it affects the progressiveness of the spring in the second half of travel because you're changing the air volume. I recommend starting with the minimum amount and adding oil if you need bottoming resistance.

The specs you are going by are probably a typo with both the "recommended" volume and height falling within the accepted range. If I were you I'd call Rockshox to ask what the min and max oil volumes are.

Last edited: