Quantcast

When is a track "too rough"? Should we pave tracks and ride them on road bikes?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
In the Leogang Live thread, Pslide said this in response to my semi-joking statements about rider complaints on track roughness:

Now, I don't mean to be rude, but to me, that's the silliest nanny-state reasoning I've read on RideMonkey.

DH racing assumes several factors: Steepness, roughness, technical challenge, rider fitness.

Altering a course to make it "safer" would be like World Cup skiing DH courses being flattened to reduce risk of deadly falls. There are World Cup DH ski race courses with compressions that are known to cause serious injury, or serious imbalance leading to injury. The skiers must learn how to deal with it, or get out of racing at that level. Period.

On an 8" travel DH bike, at the highest levels of skill on the planet, they should know how to deal with the holes. End of story, IMO.

Are the riders getting too used to well-groomed courses? Are they blaming courses for injuries? Ultimately a rider chooses what risks to take. Making a course less risky seems like making a course less World Cup level, and more like an intermediate (Sport class) level course.

In the Leogang thread I made a joke about Willingen, and I made it because I remember very well how much complaining the riders did about that being a "giant BMX track". What's next, asphalt paved DH race courses? On road bikes? Oh wait, RedBull already did that, Myles Rockwell won it!

Is that the future? Paved courses with side cushioning all the way down?
I've not read the thread yet, sorry. But chest beating about toughness etc isn't the point, a track can be more hardcore by being easier, making it faster. It's not trials afterall.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Having ridden both (back in 07 mind you) IMO Champery is a step or two above Schladming. Schladming is somewhere you could still have fun, even when it was getting chopped up over a WC weekend. Champery on the otherhand felt like you were rolling the dice each run, any mistake anywhere on that track was punished, and that was in the dry a month or so after the WC.
Thats why I didnt really use it as an example. Ive seen tracks with long very steep sections that seemed fairly cool in that matter. Apparently 2010 changes to the champery track fix a lot of that stuff.

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
yeh world cup riders are talking well too much **** these days....especially minnaar.....

a few rounds ago there were too many pads on the trees...and now theyre coming too fast into sections

the tracks the same for everyone at the end of the day and as amazing as they dirt tv and mtb cut daily videos are there an easy medium for the likes of minnaar to go on ranting on about the steepness of the dangerousness of wc tracks

i liked the way we didnt hear much **** out of him last year about how flat pietermaritzburg was

i like minnaar when hes on the bike i just think he should sit down some day and watch a load videos and see how he comes across from another perspective...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
yeh world cup riders are talking well too much **** these days....especially minnaar.....

a few rounds ago there were too many pads on the trees...and now theyre coming too fast into sections

the tracks the same for everyone at the end of the day and as amazing as they dirt tv and mtb cut daily videos are there an easy medium for the likes of minnaar to go on ranting on about the steepness of the dangerousness of wc tracks

i liked the way we didnt hear much **** out of him last year about how flat pietermaritzburg was

i like minnaar when hes on the bike i just think he should sit down some day and watch a load videos and see how he comes across from another perspective...
I see no problem with him not liking some tracks. Do you want to have genuine interviews or watch the presidential campain ?

As for the argument that the track is the same for everybody - a ****ty track would still be. We could lit it all on fire and the argument would still aply and Im pretty sure some people would wine about that ;) Look at how Minnaar didnt complain at Canberra much but other riders did. A lot of ppl complained at Willingen. Its nothing new. People have to right to not like a certain track. You really want him to be the poster boysband guy type? Screw that - let them say what they want - I wanna hear what pros REALLY think about tracks.

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
Look at how Minnaar didnt complain at Canberra much but other riders did. A lot of ppl complained at Willingen. Its nothing new. .
thats because canberra suits him alongside pietermaritzburg due to the facts he's an amazing pedaler

i understand what your saying and agree with you on certain aspects but he never seems to have anything positive to say and the track either too flat or too fast and technical

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
thats because canberra suits him alongside pietermaritzburg due to the facts he's an amazing pedaler

i understand what your saying and agree with you on certain aspects but he never seems to have anything positive to say and the track either too flat or too fast and technical
So never or only when the tracks dont suit him? Its quite obvious why he would want more tracks that suit him more ;)

Tedman

Monkey
Oct 27, 2009
Lebanon, PA
Minnaar's other point was that these blind crest entrys into steep wooded sections are a safety concern in practice as there is a HUGE variant in the abilities of the riders racing World Cups and the possibility of a top 5 rider cresting one of these rises to then hit a few bodies lying on course is high. Minnarr and Peat where simple calling for more intelligent taping to slow down the entry to certain sections and reduce the chance of practice crashes. They aren't worried about their own abilities at all.
This statement kinda sums this up. I've been DH racing since 1996 off and on. And by no means am I a Pro. But I do race Cat1 and have seen the sport develop and transform over the years.
For example, last week a 7Springs ( an easy, short track ) race day morning, there was a bus stop at an entrance for what some may call blind, but easy drop in that lead into a rock garden. After practicing the track one should know exactly where to enter. So why was there a 25 rider back up? People were crashing in the rock garden that followed. It made it impossible for advanced riders to get a clean top to bottom warm up.
Solution....class specific practice times. You can't have Cat3 riders on the course with Pros. It just makes a recipe for disaster.
There are no "blind drops". If one walks the course and/or rides it properly the first time, he/she should know exactly what to expect and where they are on the course. If not, find a new sport, because you're guy who is gonna get hurt.

Last edited:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
You wouldn't deliberately dig holes or lay out goofy high speed blind drops into nasty stuff if you were building a DH race track would you? So why wouldn't you fix these things if they developed, as they inevitably usually do?

I've built my share of DH tracks, and there is a difference between technically challenging features and just plain stupid roughness. We do a lot of prep work on our tracks before races to keep them riding the way we designed them to be ridden. If a massive hole developed in the landing of a jump or a key turn, there is no way I would vote to leave it there just for the sake of "challenge". Yes landing in massive holes is challenging...but its not exactly my idea of fun. Rider safety is a huge consideration when building race tracks, even if building "pro" level sections...there's just no reason to add danger for the sake of danger. The terrain we ride is dangerous enough without silly design flaws and lack of maintenance.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
This statement kinda sums this up. I've been DH racing since 1996 off and on. And by no means am I a Pro. But I do race Cat1 and have seen the sport develop and transform over the years.
For example, last week a 7Springs ( an easy, short track ) race day morning, there was a bus stop at an entrance for what some may call blind, but easy drop in that lead into a rock garden. After practicing the track one should know exactly where to enter. So why was there a 25 rider back up? People were crashing in the rock garden that followed. It made it impossible for advanced riders to get a clean top to bottom warm up.
Solution....class specific practice times. You can't have Cat3 riders on the course with Pros. It just makes a recipe for disaster.
There are no "blind drops". If one walks the course and/or rides it properly the first time, he/she should know exactly what to expect and where they are on the course. If not, find a new sport, because you're guy who is gonna get hurt.
I actually think this is a great example of the kind of section that adds danger to the sport for no good reason. The clean line through the rocks wasn't that hard, but at speed you had a spot about 2 feet square in which to land or it was lights out. Challenging lines are good, and time penalties for missing them are good, but in the 7 springs example, you had wheel eating holes and nasty jutting rocks in the zones where a rider who got off line at speed would be landing. If you're even over there you've already blown the section. Why add on a hospital visit?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007

Yep. I think your totally right. I think his qualifying time and past history just go to show he has no idea how to ride a technical track. Which this track is.

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
Wake up people, it's a slippery slope! If track designers listen to WC riders' complaints, pretty soon every world cup will be at pebble beach, and the "racers" will be riding around aimlessly in golf carts sipping cosmopolitans. And there won't be any times or winners: everyone who participates will get a small trophy, a ribbon, and a SRAM sticker pack.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

I was one of the riders that built the Pietermaritzburg track and trust me, we got piles of criticism from Greg! There is a whole lot behind the scenes 99% of fans couldn't imagine if you tried!

Back to the notion that he only complains about tracks that don't suit his pedaling strengths, thats just stupid. Maribor, did he bitch and moan? Was it a pedal fest? No. Was it technical? Yes. And he won. Thats just one example. Champery? Schladming? Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I personally know Greg and he's not one to shout his mouth off over nothing. Every criticism he had over the PMB track was exactly what us riders thought but needed his political clout to get the organisers to listen. I can site countless examples with my interactions with him that back that up.

Unless you guys have ridden the track at a reasonable speed, until you know first hand what he's talking about, you don't have a foot to stand on. E-spec is ridiculous when get gets to this level(being an over analysing e-speculator of the highest order myself sometimes). This is simply picking apart the best riders' in the worlds comments and honest concerns for other riders not at their level for the sake of an ego boost or something, and its rather petty.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I think its pretty fair to add a couple "roflz" at this point. Best thread evar slowitdown. Donno if you caught the race earlier, but the guy who can't compete on tech tracks and who was being a whiny b1tch just won on what you were describing as a tech track that he couldn't possibly win on (like maribor)

lulz

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
riding road bikes on a paved course in the woods down a mountain would be GNARLY. I'd rather ride a dh bike down bumpy stuff personally

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

How does he come across?

He walked a course, had some thoughts and then someone asked him about it. I really don't see the big deal.

When you're trying to put together the most perfect run you can, sections that stand out as potential problems stand out. I think most people that get analytical aobut a particular trail can pick out a few sections that seem kind of off.