Quantcast

Wheelset Recommendation

PITA

Chimp
Nov 10, 2003
Bellevue, WA
Interested in wheelset options or custom builds that you would recommend for Whistler/North Shore riding for a full suspension bike. I would like input on the best wheelset if you were to evaluate the cost/benefit and not be subject to a dollar cap. This is not a request to hear the cheapest or highest cost option, but the wheelset that provides the best performance for the dollar.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Interested in wheelset options or custom builds that you would recommend for Whistler/North Shore riding for a full suspension bike. I would like input on the best wheelset if you were to evaluate the cost/benefit and not be subject to a dollar cap. This is not a request to hear the cheapest or highest cost option, but the wheelset that provides the best performance for the dollar.
How big are you?

My DH set up is as follows:

I'm 6'7" 265 and run Arrow DHX rims laced to Hadley hubs with 13 gauge spokes. Arrow Ramped Bite Stick-E 2.5's for rubbers. Can't beat those bad boys for toughness either (they weigh a freakin sh*t ton....but peace of mind, fwiw.)If you have a good custom builder build-up that set right there, it's freakin' bomb proof. I spent 17 days at Whistler and 3 nationals on those things....busted 4 spokes. Didn't even realize it, cause the rear wheel never really came out of true...

I also run Mavic 823 EX's laced to Hadleys with 14 gauge spokes for a lighter option on tamer stuff or runs that I know inside and out. Run Kenda Nevegal Stick-E 2.5's (DH casing) for rubber.

You really can't go wrong with the Arrows if you're a freak like me, and Mavic is a good option if you're smaller than I.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
im going to say mavic 729 (100 bucks per hoop), i9 wheelset, which are bombproof and very expensive, i think around 900 dollars for the complete set. And what i run, the dt swiss 2350 (the sweet ass red ones) those are around 670-800 for the set on jenson. i havent ridden them up at whistler yet, but im sure they will hold up fine. i have however ridden the 729 at whistler about 4-6 days this summer, and they worked fine, the still straight, in true, no flats spots, couldnt be happier.

im gonna say 729 best bang for the buck, the i9 and 2350 are basically towards the top as far as wheelsets go. the good thing about the i9 is that they will build any rim to any hub wou want, although i would ride the i9 hub there built with, bombproof!, they are some of the lighest wheels out there by far. and the sickest.

the 729

i9

and the 2350

hope this helped some
if youve got more questions, ask up
Eren

edit: im 5'8 and 165lb

Jun 18, 2004
sun mag 30/hadleys on my big bike... ($650/set, 20/12mm 108pt) I've run for 2 years... rims soon to change to sun mtx's... I'm ready for lighter rims...

sun singletracks/hadleys mid travel bike (6.6")... ($400 w/72pt rear, 20mm/skewer stichit non hadley front hub)

atomlab aircorps on my ht...

btw I'm 6'1" 200#'s+ in gear

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
Hope hubs are great hubs for the money(for high end hubs), lace them with 14g spokes to 729's 823's or 721's, or mtx's.

azonic outlaw wheel sets and the transition wheel sets are great for the money and plenty strong.
sun-ringle has some wheel sets that are good too.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
i'd say syncros, they use some of the best (and unique) technology out there. Just get their in house handbuilts with syncros hubs and your good to go. check out the tech on their website. for rims Sun doubletracks are very strong and affordable (though heavy)

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
ok I am going to get laughed at but I am running singletracks on XT hubs and have had ZERO issues either at whistler, post canyon, some exits that may or may not be in the 20's, sst...I also ran once upon a time rhyno lites....I cracked a frame before those things gave out and they are ass cheap!....and I got you all topped at 6'1 225 lbs

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
ok I am going to get laughed at but I am running singletracks on XT hubs and have had ZERO issues either at whistler, post canyon, some exits that may or may not be in the 20's, sst...I also ran once upon a time rhyno lites....I cracked a frame before those things gave out and they are ass cheap!....and I got you all topped at 6'1 225 lbs
i believe, smooth riders get away with a lot. i run singly ply tires, none downhill tubes and medium-lowish psi, weigh 165 and people call me crazy

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Id recomend Mavic 729's or 721's. They run about 80-90 bucks a pop for the rims. As for hubs, The best hubs I've found are DT Swiss 440's or Hadley hubs. Both are strong, and super reliable.

I personally run 721's laced up to WTB hubs with butted spokes and alloy nipples, but I'm 150 and really easy on my parts.

Budman

Chimp
Nov 14, 2003
Seattle
talk to scott at bikeworks.. he knows anything and everything about wheels and can build the best ones.. i have never had a single problem from any wheel i have had from him..

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Don't forget about having a good builder lace them up, and retension them periodically as they break in, it's just as important as the components.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
Don't forget about having a good builder lace them up, and retension them periodically as they break in, it's just as important as the components.
so true, had people come into the shop last summer who destroyed super nice setups because they didn't take care of them.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
I ran Syncros DPS32's on Ringle hubs all season at Whistler last year. Sure.....they had to be trued a few times, however all 220lbs of me, never busted a spoke, or blew up a wheel, however most of that credit should go to Scott @ Bikeworks. He knows how to build a wheel, and as we all know, 95% of the strength, is in the build quality.
I never performed any maintainence on the hubs, and they still run like gold. Its not like I only did a few laps on the mountain either.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
stay away from 6.1's thats all i have to say
Yeah, I got some on my sunday that came with the build and to be honest, I'm not that impressed considering they go for about 90 bucks a rim. I already have 3 dents in the rear and I think 1 in the front. But then again I did go to whistler for about 6 days...

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
talk to scott at bikeworks.. he knows anything and everything about wheels and can build the best ones.. i have never had a single problem from any wheel i have had from him..

I'll second this one. He can give you good advice on what to run and will build you a damn good set of wheels.

PITA

Chimp
Nov 10, 2003
Bellevue, WA
thanks for all the great info. it definitely points me in the right direction for the optimal balance of cost, performance and durability. i am around 190 with all equipment and do not ride smooth - so durability is essential.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
Yeah, I got some on my sunday that came with the build and to be honest, I'm not that impressed considering they go for about 90 bucks a rim. I already have 3 dents in the rear and I think 1 in the front. But then again I did go to whistler for about 6 days...

yup there to wide and super soft.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
I ran Syncros DPS32's on Ringle hubs all season at Whistler last year. Sure.....they had to be trued a few times, however all 220lbs of me, never busted a spoke, or blew up a wheel, however most of that credit should go to Scott @ Bikeworks. He knows how to build a wheel, and as we all know, 95% of the strength, is in the build quality.
I never performed any maintainence on the hubs, and they still run like gold. Its not like I only did a few laps on the mountain either.
ash, you're alive. we should ride sometime

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
what he's not telling is that he enjoys doing drops to inverted creek landings with large boulders and spikey roots sticking up.