Quantcast

Wheelbuilding Questions

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Well the time has come to get some new wheels, as the rhino lites are about to give up the ghost. In selecting my new wheels, I have several questions:

1. 32 hole or 36 hole: with the choice of both, which should I go for? Are there really any differences in strength?

2. 3 cross or 4 cross: again, any differences or reasons to go for one or the other. I'll be running discs so obviously no radial or other weird things

3. What kind of spokes? Does it even make a huge difference?

4. Nipples: Aluminum or alloy? Again, is there a huge difference?

Thanks alot for any help in advance.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Unless you're overly heavy or you tend to destroy stuff quickly (which I doubt coming off rhynolites) I'd say 32 hole, 3x, brass nipples with whatever spokes you can get the easiest. I think DT spokes are supposed to be stronger at the elbow but I've never had problems with wheelsmith spokes. The only things I really have a strong bias toward are brass nipples. It seems like aluminum nipples round out the first time you need to true your wheel. The rest works for everybody else so it should be fine for you.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
32 hole, more rims available, more people using it, greater compatability.
3 cross, best combination of stiffness and strength, the wheel still has a bit of give in it to survive a bit of abuse.
As for spokes, for a DH bike, maybe 13 guage at the bend, 14 guage at the nipple? Or DT Alpine 13/15/14 tripple butted? Depends on what sort of rider you are. Straight guage 14 would be good for most people. Don't worry about saving weight with your spokes, you save something like 10-30g per wheel at best, at the cost of ALOT of money. Pointless if you ask me.
Nipples? standard brass nipples that come with the spokes is the best option. Aluminium is "alloy" in most peoples books (even though alloy describes alot of metals). But if you have to true your wheels alot, aluminium nipples are a liability, prone to rounding and stripping.

atomic97

Chimp
Jul 8, 2004
Santa Clarita, California
1. There is minimal actual strength gain from 32h to 36h, but if you are not racing and you ride hard I would still opt for the 36h.
2. There are certain benefits to 4 cross over 3 cross, but I would let the wheel builder decide that one.
4. Straight guage stainless steel spokes are cool for general stuff, but if you are racing, butted and ti stuff is pretty sweet.
4. I would definitely go for a nice long steel one. the aluminum nipples tend to strip a lot easier when you keep your spokes highly tensioned. Aluminum is nice for racing though.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
dt 2.0/1.8's 3x 32 hole, built by a reputable builder with brass nipples. 4x is wasteful, and not possible on 32 hole. Butted spokes are ultimately stronger as they have more desirable flew charecterisitics. Most importantly don't skimp on the build, have a pro do it right!