Quantcast

Wheel sets and rims.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Good day to the monkeys.

I am considering a new wheel set for my DH bike. Current set up is Mavic 721's on a Specialized 150mm rear and Ritchey oversized 20mm. Its been good but the rear hub has had it.

The options so far;

New DT 440FR hubs on 32 H Mavic 729s. A good price but not keen on 729s - too heavy. Im not a big guy and dont tend to smash into stuff too often. This is brand new wheel set build up and ready to go. Any comments on the DT440FR hubs vs the Hope Pro II? I would consider the set just for the hubs as the price is that good.

Buy a new factory wheelset such as Mavic Deemax or Crank Bros Opium. Not sure on the price is worth the Deemax and not sure about the CB spoke set up. I've read good things in some places but would welcome feedback.

Do the CRC custom set up. I've done this on my trail bike and got the Hope Pro II on DT 5.1D. I was stoked with the price and delivery time. Wheels have been great. Put a ding in the rear rim but it pulled out fine.

Im leaning down this last path as I like the idea of a custom set up. I llso like the Hope quality but the noise is starting to drive me nuts. Engagement could be better but im not that fussed. Are there any comparable hubs to the Pro II in weight, price and quality without the infernal noise??

Lastly - rims. My thoughts are either Mavic 721, DT 5.1D or Stans ZTR Flow rims. I've got good experience on both the Mavic and DT offerings but would like some feed back on the Stans rims and how they compare to the DT 5.1D. What is the weight per rim? I cannot find it on the Stans website.

Thanks and happy trails :thumb:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
If the hope noise is bothering you then the DT's probably will too. Damn fine hubs though.
I'd shy away from specialty spokes. Mavic's wheels are common enough that you should be able to find parts, but there's never a doubt with the standard equipment. Also, I hear their spokes pop out of the hub sometimes. The CB wheels don't have a very high spoke count, so if you do put a flat spot in the rim you'll be less likely to get it back in round.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
No problems with my former hub, but YMMV. There was a recent thread about hub choice, a lot of people had problems with all of the top runners.

I now have Azonic Outlaws, which held up great through a season of use, and the engagement was adequate, but I wouldn't want anything slower. I have some cheapo shimano/Cdale on my XC bike and it's terrible, but the Outlaws are cool... Moral of the story is that the hopes and outlaws have the same engagement.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I've got a set of pro-2/ ztr flows on my SS. They fairly new and seem strong, I'm still a little gun shy about the tire coming off the bead, but it hasn't happened yet. It's definitely a light wheelset though, 1810g.