Quantcast

wheel help

rohleder644

Chimp
Sep 23, 2011
Hey fellas, I'm in need of some wheel advice. I come from a dirtbike background and don't know a damn thing about mountain biking. I found myself not having near enough time to moto as of late, so I picked up a 2011 specialized hardrock disc. I've been riding my local trail system (landahl in blue springs, mo), and quickly found out I'm as hard on my mtb as I am my mx bike. Between being a hefty dude (another reason I picked up the bike) and my complete lack of skill on the thing, I have tacoed my wheels over and over. I've gone through the stock wheels and 2 sets of cheapo wheels as well as bending my cranks and some other things. I need to get some tips on heavy duty wheelsets. Maybe some other heavy duty components and general upgrades you guys might be able to suggest.
While I'm not trying to break the bank, I know its gonna cost some coin and am prepared for that. The bike is basically unrideable as is. It gets too bent up every ride to make it worth even getting to the trails.
Thanks guys

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Get yourself a spoke wrench and learn how to use it. The park tools website and sheldonbrown.com both have some good tutorials on wheel building. You might screw up a couple of wheels, but at this point they're damaged already. Swapping rims is pretty easy when the rim gets beyond usable. It's a good idea to keep some new spoke nipples around in case you round a few out. You'll save tons from this.

rohleder644

Chimp
Sep 23, 2011
Check and check.......I was truing my wheels every ride out.
Routine maintenance is nothing I'm scared of nor new to. I gotta make some changes to components at this point. There has been more than one occasion where the first big drop of the day sends me walking back to the truck. Kinda takes the proverbial wind outta the sails on trying to get out and practice

Last edited:

rohleder644

Chimp
Sep 23, 2011
I'm diggin the halo set. I wonder if I could get a 48 spoke front? I'm far less interested in weight savings than I am a bulletproof wheel.