Quantcast

whats with this "new" rule re national champ jerseys ?

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
looks like everyone has to wear their national champ jerseys at world cup events now ? never heard of this before, I know the roadies always had to do it, looks like helen gaskell borrowed one of peaty's tops and blanked out theorange logos...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
There are a lot of arbitrary UCI rules out there, but the mandatory NC and WC jersey rule ain't too bad in my opinion.

1. It's good for spectators
2. It's good for the national federations
3. It doesn't have to be bad for a riders individual sponsors. Shouldn't be too hard to design a jersey around a NC logo. There is quite a bit of lore around top riders in the mid-nineties who would purposely loaf at the WC's to avoid winning the Rainbow jersey, as the rules at the time RE: additonal logo placement on those were rather draconian. By the looks of things the UCI has eased up a bit on design of Worldchampionship kit.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
SuspectDevice said:
There is quite a bit of lore around top riders in the mid-nineties who would purposely loaf at the WC's to avoid winning the Rainbow jersey, as the rules at the time RE: additonal logo placement on those were rather draconian. By the looks of things the UCI has eased up a bit on design of Worldchampionship kit.
Yeah, that sounds like a great excuse.
Well, Nico only won the worlds 10 times because I was "loafing" at the Worlds
and did not want to have to wear a rainbow jersey.
Yeah right, every pro dher on this planet would give their right arm for that jersey.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Jeremy R said:
Yeah, that sounds like a great excuse.
Well, Nico only won the worlds 10 times because I was "loafing" at the Worlds
and did not want to have to wear a rainbow jersey.
Yeah right, every pro dher on this planet would give their right arm for that jersey.

I was talking specifically about Miguel Martinez and Christoph Dupoey

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
SuspectDevice said:
I was talking specifically about Miguel Martinez and Christoph Dupoey
Oh, why didn't you just say that you were talking about the French.
Makes sense now. ;)
Still seems crazy that somebody would throw the biggest race of the season, so they would not have to put logos on a jersey.
But the way the French won all the Worlds back then, they should have just built the stripes into their National jersey. I remember one year, I think in Cananda, when the French pratically swept the whole worlds.

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
funny, I thuogh Miguel Martinez won 4 world titles, 1 junior, 2 u23 and 1 elite......real loafer eh ?

anyways I do like the idea about the national champ jerseys, just seems like a lot of the riders were caught out, and weren't properly prepared with jeseys made at the start of the season.

seeing tha most nat jerseys are white based, at least no one has come with white lycra tights yet !

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
rockracing said:
funny, I thuogh Miguel Martinez won 4 world titles, 1 junior, 2 u23 and 1 elite......real loafer eh ?

seeing tha most nat jerseys are white based, at least no one has come with white lycra tights yet !
Martinez never won national or world titles on Full-Dynamix, as per Mr. Giovanni Battgiln's orders... There is also the national championship title that Martinez basically "sold" to Chiotti in the last few k of the french championships one year.
And as for the White tights...

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Jeremy R said:
I remember one year, I think in Cananda, when the French pratically swept the whole worlds.
Mte. Ste. Anne in 1998. I was there. They killed everyone.

But I do agree with the wearing of the nc/wc jersey. Somehow makes the field seem better. I know it sounds stupid, but when you see all the champions riding, it can only boost the interest of the spectators, especially the casual ones, which is where the 'new' money for the sport will come from. But apparently the jersey rules may still be "draconian". While watching the tour today, it looked like riders were riding with the wrong team. Like T-Mobile. Everyone all pinked out but one guy in white/rainbow stripes.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I am 100% against this rule. It makes it very hard for smaller companies and privateers when seeking sponsors for some of their top riders. The UCI's rules are very strict about size, number, and placement of logos.

If the national federations funded more riders' travel, coaching, entries, insurance, etc I would consider it more but, on the whole most federations leave the riders paying for almost everything (For example, I think US National Team riders have to pay for their own jerseys!!). The teams are the sponsors of the riders NOT the federations! Why should they get the prime coverage in ads, vids, and magazines?

The rainbow jersey is a tradition in cycling and should remain how it is. It's bad enough riders have to race Worlds in national team colors but I concede it as a tradition in cycling.

Additionally, the UCI informed national federations of this rule late and then many feds failed to pass the info onto the riders. As a result, a lot of riders are running in rag tag kits that just plain look bad.

-ska todd

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
ska todd said:
If the national federations funded more riders' travel, coaching, entries, insurance, etc I would consider it more but, on the whole most federations leave the riders paying for almost everything (For example, I think US National Team riders have to pay for their own jerseys!!).
I couldn't agree with you more....good point ! (SA riders have to pay their way and kit too !)

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
SuspectDevice said:
Martinez never won national or world titles on Full-Dynamix, as per Mr. Giovanni Battgiln's orders... There is also the national championship title that Martinez basically "sold" to Chiotti in the last few k of the french championships one year.
hmmm.....from cyclingnews.com this morning:

. He stopped racing shortly after as the French Cycling Federation (FFC) disciplined him for not only admitting to doping, but also the claim that Chiotti had an agreement with Miguel Martinez to fix the 1999 French Championship so that Chiotti won.

caballero

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
good ol' europe
that's one of the most stupid UCI rules i've ever heard....

this rule means that riders aren't able to represent all of their sponsors, because there's not enough room on the national champions' jersey....that's sooo stupid....

uci rules like this will kill our sport !