Quantcast

What's the word on X Fusion Shox

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Everybody came back from the CCCX downhill race yesterday buzzing about X Fusion Shox. I didn't get to go to the race, but if I were there I would have probably been drinking beer. Lots of it. All day. And yelling things at people. People like race winner Evan Turpen :pirate2:

But I digress, what's the word on X Fusion? The name seems poorly picked to say the least, perhaps they were hoping for a big dollar partnership with Mountain Dew? Name aside they look very well made and have a slick website. I also dig the air/coil combo adjustable travel idea. Do they work?

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
They have a website.. I checked it out a few years ago.They really torture test thier shocks from what they claim on thier site..I believe they are good shocks, & i never blew one...

gonefirefightin

free wieners
pretty damn good stuff, I rode with the mechanic and one of thier riders (john hauer) during the race. thier velvet is pretty smooth and their shocks are just as nice. they had their downhill fork out for show and one on a bike but they are changing the rake and the geometry on it as we speak. should be bad ass in a few weeks when it gets done. both their riders were podium finishers if that says anything.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
they have their stuff made in germany
No they don't!
x-fusion is wholy owned and operated by "Apro" from Tachia Town, Taiwan
Not that there is anything wrong with that. Plenty of other taiwanese owned and operated companies make some amazing product, Giant, FSA, Maxxis and Kenda come to mind... No need to hide it!

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I have a x-fusion shock on my MKIII for a year. it's great.
way better than the 5th that came with the bike.....

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
whats up with the i2i on their shocks being slightly shorter than the norm? are those measurments accurate? is it to lower/slacken a bike?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
They make some ridiculous fork/shock combo that, at the push of a button, the fork compresses and the shock extends, stinkbugging a bike "for climbing prowess", then hit the button again and the fork extends and the shock compresses, for downhill xtremage. That idea alone strips the company of any credibility, at all, in my eyes.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
They make some ridiculous fork/shock combo that, at the push of a button, the fork compresses and the shock extends, stinkbugging a bike "for climbing prowess", then hit the button again and the fork extends and the shock compresses, for downhill xtremage. That idea alone strips the company of any credibility, at all, in my eyes.
that feature isnt on the race forks, only the freeride consumer forks

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I'd have to agree, in all honesty. A certain cartoon comes to mind when I think of something like that.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Ahahaha that's hilarious. I can so picture how much that would suck.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Eh...bunch of Taiwanese engineers who've never ridden a mountain bike before. What do you expect? Same is true for a multitude of these other Taiwanese and OEM manufacturers.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
No I think that system is developed by some Germans and they X-fusion just makes the suspension parts. I actually think they like the idea.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Correct me if im wrong but....

I remember reading the new specilized shocks are made by x-fusion and they got fairly good reviews.

I also remember reading that alot of the the fox gear is made in Taiwan and assembled in US, i wouldn't be surprised if x-fusion made parts for fox and other companies.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I'm pretty sure it's Germans engineering the stuff, and the Taiwanese producing it.

With products like these showing how little the engineers know about actual riding, it's fair to say the stuff shouldn't be trusted, at least not until it gets a good consumer flogging.

Here's the StinkBug:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
lots of people change geometry for climbing. thats what adjustable forks, lockout, and gravity dropper seat posts are for. if you ride dh, why bother, but for people on trail rides it might look stupid by make riding a long travel bike much more fun.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Have you actually ridden any of these bikes? It sounds like a crazy idea but suprisingly it actually works pretty well and the bikes ride pretty damn nicely. Everybody that I know who has ridden them has had good things to say and they are generally pretty harsh critics.

I'm pretty sure it's Germans engineering the stuff, and the Taiwanese producing it.

With products like these showing how little the engineers know about actual riding, it's fair to say the stuff shouldn't be trusted, at least not until it gets a good consumer flogging.

Here's the StinkBug:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
How many trails just go straight up, then straight down? A good trail bike, no matter how much suspension, needs to be capable of all kinds of trails. If you put that thing in DH mode, it's gonna suck on fast, tech flat trails. In the steep mode, it'll be super twitchy. It's designed for a world that doesn't exist, a simple world of trails that are easily definable. Therefore, the engineers either don't ride enough, or are willing to sell a cheap gimmick and sellout to a quick buck at the expense of a quality product.