Quantcast

What's next topic?

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
The topic which's share my feeling of the mtb...

As we know, the mtb suspension system develpment...we have Single pivot, FSR or Horst link, Lawill, VPP or mastreo, DW....So did any suspension design be the revoution in the mtb industrial?

Or....in these year all kind of maker & rider is thinking how to slim down my bike as a main topic....after I timing read and learn at here, the weight which will help when you are in the top 5% of people in order to get more great performance.

So I am very interesting what will be next development topice at the mtb..

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
The next big suspension development will require a hard look at the drivetrain. Todays suspension designs are top notch, but are all held back by chain torque and chain line.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
yeti 303? that could be one. advantages of a single pivot with not pedal bob or brake jack. ill give u a more in depth review when mine comes in. THIS IS ONLY WHAT I HAVE HEARD SO DONT THROW A HISSY ON ME

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I am no expert and this would never happen, but wouldnt it be cool to DL a trail map to a computer, DL the trail info to circuits in suspension and it would change damping/etc according to different obstacles on course.

But ya, the old fashioned bicycle chain needs to go-I do not know why, but I do not like chains. ;)

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
I am no expert and this would never happen, but wouldnt it be cool to DL a trail map to a computer, DL the trail info to circuits in suspension and it would change damping/etc according to different obstacles on course.

But ya, the old fashioned bicycle chain needs to go-I do not know why, but I do not like chains. ;)
Kidn of what some F1 guys tried to do a couple of years ago and got banned because of it?

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
yeti 303? that could be one. advantages of a single pivot with not pedal bob or brake jack. ill give u a more in depth review when mine comes in. THIS IS ONLY WHAT I HAVE HEARD SO DONT THROW A HISSY ON ME
Yea...that's great I didn't have chance to try 303. I have a Sunday and I like it very much. Hope to see your review and your comment at the "Zero loss"..:clapping:

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Chains are actually among the most efficient forms of drive, very little is lost to friction. A friend of mine actually made a driveshaft bike which absolutely worked, but it was really inefficient.

But a driveshaft doesnt have chain torque. There would be nothing pulling the rear wheel towards the bb, and therefore no force to resist.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I'd have to agree with Demo 9 - the 303 shouldn't be overlooked. There really isn't anything else like it out there today.

The really wierd thing about the 303 is that it's simple and complicated at the same time. Simple in the design of a sliding rail system for linear suspension travel, but comlex in its execution (construction).

ronson

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
There has been one company in the last bicycle show in Taiwan who tried to forword the drive shaft design.

It was heavy as hell but still it's nice to see some new developments in the area.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Lahar,I beleive has a better wheel path than Yeti 303(consistent arc),has a gearbox(closest to zero maintanence).
I would love to see a system you could bolt on to record suspension travel and analise it then remove it once the bike is dialled for a certain track.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
perhaps the vst technology that sinister is working on? I think a superior suspension design/drive train would outweigh the possible benefits of further weight reductions (pardon the pun).

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
interesting you mention the course specific tuning, if i remember correctly the pro's on the 303's had different rails which would change the suspension travel slightly for different courses, you can see some of the rails were bent slightly.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
The next big suspension development will require a hard look at the drivetrain. Todays suspension designs are top notch, but are all held back by chain torque and chain line.
I don't believe that to be the case at all. Of the forces that can cause a bike to pedal inefficiently, the chain "torque" has the smallest effect. Wheelpath shape is where most designs completely miss the mark.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I don't believe that to be the case at all. Of the forces that can cause a bike to pedal inefficiently, the chain "torque" has the smallest effect. Wheelpath shape is where most designs completely miss the mark.
Yes, but the wheelpath is generally dictated by the traditional drivetrain and trying to maintain decent pedaling. BCD, Canfield, Lehar and a few others have worked ways around this.

With all the issues caused by chainline, wheel dish, exploding derailers, bent hangers, etc. I think / hope an alternative to the traditional drivetrain will be developed (a practical alternative, using standard, replaceable parts). Getting mass away from the rear wheel will also help the suspension react better and center the weight "in" the bike.